Thread: Frost....OMG

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Haven't seen anyone raid testing as Frost so far unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Radaney View Post
    Haven't seen anyone raid testing as Frost so far unfortunately.
    I would be if I cared to do the testing.

As someone who has mained a DK since the class was introduced to the game, and has always hated frost, playing almost entirely blood and unholy for the past 5 years, I gotta say, I love the changes made to Frost.

Its amazing how such small changes could make such a difference, but its there, and its very VERY noticeable. The rotation is smooth, cool looking, packing quite a punch, and feels visceral aggressive, and frosty.

Its a shame Frost DKs got the worst artifact in the game. Both in terms of visual, and in terms of mechanics.

The swords look very unremarkable and small, you can't even tell they're related to frostmourne unless you zoom all the way in, and almost all the variations look lame and boring.

From a mechanic point of view, we have the absolute worst artifact skill ever. Crystalline Swords is an absolute shit of a skill. Its a passive that makes your skills sometimes create a floating copy of the swords next to you, which proceeds to impale whoever you're fighting. Sounds cool in theory, but in practice, the animation is the blandest thing I've seen in the game. The damage they deal is pathetic (Basically a single tick of Frost Fever. Whoopty-doo). And because its a passive, we have zero interaction with it and our rotation. The only other skill we get out of the artifact is Sindragosa's Fury, a 5min cooldown that deals an utterly laughable amount of damage. Basically a single Glacial Advance does more damage..... and that ability is on a 20 sec CD.

The rest of the traits are equally boring, insipid, bland, and generic. Just dumb damage increases to our abilities, but nothing that fundamentally alters what we do in any meaningful way.

Compare this to the traits of Unholy and the difference is kilometric (Traits for Unholy do, among other things: That your ghouls from army of the dead explode upon death dealing shadow damage, that they apply 4 different types of debuffs to whatever they attack, that your Death Coil can proc a damage boost to your Scourge Strike, your attacks have a chance to summon a super-zombie that explodes dealing massive AoE damage, your Sudden Doom proc now has two charges, your max RP is increased, and then the standard % increase to your standard attacks). Same goes for the traits of the Blood Artifact.

The traits for the frost weapon are just SO boring. The only two that do anything even mildly interesting are the ones that make IBF increase the healing of Death Strike, and the one that makes your Frost Fever deal increasing amounts of damage with each tic. That's it. The rest of the traits are genericland.

I'm very pleased with the spec itself, but Frost's artifact weapon is utter shit. I was expecting way better from a reforged goddamned Frostmourne.

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

Maybe both artifact traits are right where Blizzard wants them to be....for "spec flavor" only.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rerecros View Post
    im sure everyone will rejoice in hearing there will be another DW frost blood elf male dk in lfr, im happy for you!
    Luckily we have plenty of female blood elf DK's around here to counter with a haughty sense of undeserved superiority.

Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post
    As someone who has mained a DK since the class was introduced to the game, and has always hated frost, playing almost entirely blood and unholy for the past 5 years, I gotta say, I love the changes made to Frost.

Its amazing how such small changes could make such a difference, but its there, and its very VERY noticeable. The rotation is smooth, cool looking, packing quite a punch, and feels visceral aggressive, and frosty.

Its a shame Frost DKs got the worst artifact in the game. Both in terms of visual, and in terms of mechanics.

The swords look very unremarkable and small, you can't even tell they're related to frostmourne unless you zoom all the way in, and almost all the variations look lame and boring.

From a mechanic point of view, we have the absolute worst artifact skill ever. Crystalline Swords is an absolute shit of a skill. Its a passive that makes your skills sometimes create a floating copy of the swords next to you, which proceeds to impale whoever you're fighting. Sounds cool in theory, but in practice, the animation is the blandest thing I've seen in the game. The damage they deal is pathetic (Basically a single tick of Frost Fever. Whoopty-doo). And because its a passive, we have zero interaction with it and our rotation. The only other skill we get out of the artifact is Sindragosa's Fury, a 5min cooldown that deals an utterly laughable amount of damage. Basically a single Glacial Advance does more damage..... and that ability is on a 20 sec CD.

The rest of the traits are equally boring, insipid, bland, and generic. Just dumb damage increases to our abilities, but nothing that fundamentally alters what we do in any meaningful way.

Compare this to the traits of Unholy and the difference is kilometric (Traits for Unholy do, among other things: That your ghouls from army of the dead explode upon death dealing shadow damage, that they apply 4 different types of debuffs to whatever they attack, that your Death Coil can proc a damage boost to your Scourge Strike, your attacks have a chance to summon a super-zombie that explodes dealing massive AoE damage, your Sudden Doom proc now has two charges, your max RP is increased, and then the standard % increase to your standard attacks). Same goes for the traits of the Blood Artifact.

The traits for the frost weapon are just SO boring. The only two that do anything even mildly interesting are the ones that make IBF increase the healing of Death Strike, and the one that makes your Frost Fever deal increasing amounts of damage with each tic. That's it. The rest of the traits are genericland.

I'm very pleased with the spec itself, but Frost's artifact weapon is utter shit. I was expecting way better from a reforged goddamned Frostmourne.
    I agree re: the artifact. Most of the traits are fine, but our Primary/active ability really should be more interesting. I've posted a bunch of suggested alternatives in the big thread, but at this point I'm worried these are set in stone. Which is really a shame, because there are lots of cool things you can do with a shattered Frostmourne.

Deleted
    gonna massacre all them frost with my Fury :P

Quote Originally Posted by Zordrage View Post
    gonna massacre all them frost with my Fury :P
    Thanks for contributing nothing.

OT: Frost should be given Soul Reaper. I really am going to miss this ability. It seems like trash for UH anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by NecroSleetstorm View Post
    Thanks for contributing nothing.

OT: Frost should be given Soul Reaper. I really am going to miss this ability. It seems like trash for UH anyway.
    Anyone able to post the best build/rotation at the moment? Want to work on rotation on the PTR.

Depends on your playstyle really... if its a Single Target fight Runic Attenuation/BoS are going to be top dps. If it's a cleave fight Frostsycthe is your go to.

I like both, but I find that the weapon trails for frost are super subtle whereas with unholy's greatsword the purple trail is a lot more noticeable.

Frost Strike is also identical to Obliterate, just different pose, which is a turnoff for me compared to Death Coil looking a lot better.

However, frost has Remorseless Winter and with Winter is Coming, I just love having that swirling blizzard around me as long as I can. It's such a cool looking effect.

Deleted
    My biggest gripe is that Frostscythe doesn't proc Rime or some other Obliterate related talents.

So even with Killing Machine proc used on Frostscythe we lose out on potentially devastating Rime-Howling Blast.

P.S.

I like Uh more

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I like it, but would like it much more if it had a 2H artifact available too

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    Yeah it really does, Idk if it's just me but frost in general feels like it hits like a wet noodle.
    I am extremely disappointed to see OBLITERATE doing piss poor dmg. I mean damn, it's called OBLITERATE. In the far past it used to be frost's hardest hitting skill that lived up to its name. Not anymore. Makes me sad.

I would make Killing Machine procs increase Obliterate dmg by 50-100% and/or change it to 100% frost dmg when used with Killing Machine.

My ways to fix frost:

Either make FSc replace Obliterate or have it proc rhyme
    Buff BoS
    Remove the rune cost of Remorseless winter or take it off the GCD

7+ Year Old Account
    I agree the frost artifact is really underwhelming. Particularly the crystalline swords which I really hate. I hate frost mage icicles and this is an even worse and uglier version of something that was already terrible. However, since they are small I am doing my best to simply ignore them. >.>

Soul Reaper will indeed be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post

Then why have I heard Legion frost feels like live frost as far as rotation? In other words nothing has significantly changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Ctee View Post
    Then why have I heard Legion frost feels like live frost as far as rotation? In other words nothing has significantly changed?
    Apparently you are only hearing feedback from people with a very poor understanding of the new frost.

Legion frost is NOTHING like live frost. At all. The priorities are completely different, and there is much more micromanagement to account for if such micromanagement ends up being a significant gain after tuning is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenrkyr View Post
    Apparently you are only hearing feedback from people with a very poor understanding of the new frost.

Legion frost is NOTHING like live frost. At all. The priorities are completely different, and there is much more micromanagement to account for if such micromanagement ends up being a significant gain after tuning is over.
    I found it easier TBH. Without the need to use PL, all runes being death and with current tuning, you pretty much take all passive talents and only really have to watch Rime procs.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenrkyr View Post

Interesting. Do we know how it compares to Unholy in a vacuum?

Quote Originally Posted by Senel View Post
    I found it easier TBH. Without the need to use PL, all runes being death and with current tuning, you pretty much take all passive talents and only really have to watch Rime procs.
    Agreed. Frost at a baseline seems easier, since the resource management element has been effectively removed. I think with the right talents, (Icy Talons, FSc, GA), however, it will lean towards more complexity. But tuning will determine whether opting into that complexity is worthwhile. If BoS is viable, and we just take the passives, the spec will be pretty braindead.