Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Ok saw it now.

2 critics:

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to little fan service. Could almost have been made in non-wow settings. Even Stormwind didn't look like SW in-game. I saw one scene that did match very good trough.

To little nightelfs..no gnomes at all and so on. Nightelfs gets 3 scenes in total...

I had hoped for more for the wow fans, but this movie was / could be any fantasy movie..And that it did great! Solid 7 atleast.
    That was a good thing tho.. the Stormwind in game is not how a real city should look like, it's too tiny and in-game the intentionally reduced the size of the cities to make it easier for people to fidn things, this was before the days of inter city transport , map key points that hihglight npcs etc, and people complained a lot.

if you were to take that same model for a movie , it would look patehtic and terrible, in-game is not designed to the scale it's supposed to actually be in a real setting, you have to go much bigger.

and it's okay about night elves and gnomes, night elves don't appear till WC3, gnomes could have been there though, maybe they'd be in the next movie.

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Quote Originally Posted by SexyManipulator View Post
    So https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_Begins operated at a huge loss?
    If you only accounted for it's box office sales, according to accountants, yes.

However, they take into account licensing deals, DVD sales and rentals, soundtracks, books, etc etc etc.

It's not JUST about box office numbers.

So... current verdict is that the movie's doing alright, or terrible?

It's hard for me to cut between the eager rage hating and fanboyism; some people want to hate it, other people want to love it. I thought it was good, I'd give it about a 6.9/10, but financially it seems to be doing well enough so far as I can tell. I don't normally follow these things too closely, so I'm not sure how to measure it (seems standards on that are also divided, so...)

Personally, I hope it does well. I don't think it deserves to be awesome, but well enough. I would like to see a sequel, but I have the impression it's not doing that well.
    Horseshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post
    Or you've got bad taste in movies, either is just as likely.

I haven't seen it, but going off the trailers, the CGI isn't that good, and what is live action looks plastic at best. I might see it when it hits Redbox, but doubt I'd waste the money to go see it in theaters, even with their free game giveaway as an incentive. Give me a free copy of legion and maybe we'll talk.

Personally, I don't base the movie on the critic reviews, but the box office sales because at the end of the day, that's all that really matters. They're at $286 million made on it, so a little over half way to making back what they spent on it. Opening weekend in America was a downright poor showing, and I highly doubt we will ever see a sequel.
    That bolded part is why the rest of your post is dog shit.

Deleted
    So https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_Begins operated at a huge loss?
    Did you even read through the article you linked?Yeah Batman Begins was quite a bust in terms of box office/etc compared to money invested. Also, in the end a lot of its money was made when The Dark Knight was released, as it got people more interested.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Istenno View Post
    If you only accounted for it's box office sales, according to accountants, yes.

However, they take into account licensing deals, DVD sales and rentals, soundtracks, books, etc etc etc.

It's not JUST about box office numbers.
    I'm pretty sure box office includes all such sales.

My point was that it was not a failure at all (given it got sequels). This formula of x*3 is simply unrealistic, and would mean many films which got sequels would be considered failures, when they were not.

No, it doesn't. However, such sales don't always save a bomb. For John Carter, for example, they didn't push the movie into the black.

Warcraft is close enough that they probably will, though. So, the movie has not done as badly as some feared.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aladya View Post
    Did you even read through the article you linked?Yeah Batman Begins was quite a bust in terms of box office/etc compared to money invested. Also, in the end a lot of its money was made when The Dark Knight was released, as it got people more interested.
    Yes - it doesn't say it 'failed', it says it didn't meet expectation. Obviously they didn't know that for the Dark Knight though, did they?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    No, it doesn't. However, such sales don't always save a bomb. For John Carter, for example, they didn't push the movie into the black.

Warcraft is close enough that they probably will, though. So, the movie has not done as badly as some feared.
    True, was mistakenly referring to gross earnings.

Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    No, I want blizzard to put the same heart and soul into a movie that they put into their cinematic intros. I don't want the half-assed 'in game' kind they seem to be doing these days, and I certainly don't want to watch another big budget snoozefest. I want story, characters, I want to forget I'm watching a goddamned movie.

That didn't happen in Warcraft.

Too little fan service? You missed all the in-game references and easter eggs that were clearly there to service fans? I'm sorry, but when a character polymorphs another character and then describes the tooltip for polymorph in a vaguely subtle through dialogue, how is that anything but fan service? I don't need to know how Polymorph works, not even as a person who has never played Wow before.
    Wow, this forum has a lot of passion. I specificly mean't fan service that wasen't small easter egg's. I saw most of them, but I wanted full out blown wow things....like hearing the murloc sound bit one time in hole movie....so small hidden things.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Really didn't take a psychic to know this movie would stink.

I finally got around to seeing the movie, and I enjoyed it. It's not a masterpiece, but a solid step up from previous game movies, and I'll definitely go to the cinema if they make any sequels.

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    You would be wrong. Box office only includes overall ticket sales during it's primary run. It also does not include totals after it's gone to the cheap seats.

My point was that it was not a failure at all (given it got sequels). This formula of x*3 is simply unrealistic, and would mean many films which got sequels would be considered failures, when they were not.
    No, of course overall it wasn't a failure. Ready what Aladya said. The trilogy was an enormous success overall. And the first movie did fine. But it's box office earnings did not make it a success by themselves. Commercially Batman Begins was a success. But it was about more than ticket sales.

Another note, just because a movie does not earn triple it's cost to make - while that doesn't mean it didnt break even per se, it also doesn't necessarily mean it was a critical failure. Often they will look at how much box office draw the first one had to determine if a sequel would make it more successful overall.

Let's look at the Batman movie from Tim Robbins. It cost a little over $40m to make, and it's total box office earnings were 10 times that. It was HUGELY successful. Which netted Tim Burton the privilege of directing a sequel. Batman Returns cost twice as much to make as Batman, had less sets, more stars, and earned much less comparitively ($260m). It still broken even. And Fox determined that they needed to switch things up when they created Batman Forever. And it paid off. $100m to make, earned over $300m box office. And so it goes.

Warcraft cost $150m to make. Has earned over $300m overall so far. And it's theatrical run isn't completed yet. Not withstanding all the after sales to come. It will be successful enough to warrant a sequel. Even IF it didn't technically break even (and it most likely will), they are smart enough to know that it establishes a story and following formula, the sequel will be more successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucksack View Post
    Except it didn't.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMartigo View Post
    I finally got around to seeing the movie, and I enjoyed it. It's not a masterpiece, but a solid step up from previous game movies, and I'll definitely go to the cinema if they make any sequels.
    Yep.
    /10 char.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

I went into the movie really believing that the negative reviews were the result of critics having no exposure to the warcraft universe and having unrealistic expectations. Now having seen it, I have to say, I was wrong. I really disliked the movie. I felt the pacing and editing were off. The dialogue was poorly written and there were large parts of the movie that were just minute after minute of expository dialogue that I found incredibly boring. That said, I hope the movie makes piles and piles of money at the box office because I feel like a lot of the problems with this film came from having to establish the universe and the second game has a much tighter story that I think will translate better to the screen.
    The Sons of Turalyon - Wyrmrest Accord www.thesons.us

My wife and I saw it together. We enjoyed it immensely, and we will see the sequel should there be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucksack View Post
    You really have no clue how the movie is going to haul in revenue aside from box office which is average to above average considering the oversea market.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wife and I saw it and loved it. As a nerd it was orgasmic, but I do admit that there were some things that could have been done better. I guess my biggest criticism would be that it felt rushed. Sadly there is just a lot of information that was either left out or just skimmed over and I could see why casual movie goers might think it's confusing, but overall I feel it was well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Wow, this forum has a lot of passion. I specificly mean't fan service that wasen't small easter egg's. I saw most of them, but I wanted full out blown wow things....like hearing the murloc sound bit one time in hole movie....so small hidden things.
    If we're changing the definition of 'fan service' to not include the Easter eggs, we might as well just call the entire movie fan service. After all, it's only the Wow fans who seem to like it, and who a movie like Warcraft is made for anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Grossing over 200 million globally, 182 million of it in China alone. That hardly constitutes a flop.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarespawn2012 View Post
    Grossing over 200 million globally, 182 million of it in China alone. That hardly constitutes a flop.
    Except it does cause it's nowhere near breaking even. You won't be getting a sequel so enjoy it.