Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    Anyway, I have some beer that isn't going to drink itself, so bottom line is this. Yes, the root cause of mass shooting needs to be addressed, which is mental issues brought on by such things as religious fanaticism, by having a shity abusive childhood, being poor, whatever.
    That being said, the precedent is there for certain guns to be made illegal for John Q. Public to own. The 2nd has already been infringed upon and the writing is on the wall that it will be further infringed upon as shit like what happened last weekend continues to happen and the country continues to move left due to demographics and levels of higher education become ubiquitous.
    And since we aren't going to be able to fix any of those issues, maybe we just do our best to remove the tools that allow them to go out and murder dozens of people because their god says they should.

I'm confident the Orlando shooter wouldn't have killed quite so many had he gone in with a bolt action rifle and a revolver instead of the MCX and Glock he did go in with.
    Given the apparent total lack of resistance once he got past the off-duty outside, not sure we can conclude that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    so you are admitting that when the anti 2nd amendment crowd talks about assault rifles what they are really referring to is semi automatic rifles which is about half the rifles sold in the US which then makes it undoubtedly unconstitutional according to the supreme court ruling DC v Heller which they stated you have the right to bear firearms that are in common use at the time
    Yes that is what I am saying, they are basically referring to a hunting rifles technology of semi auto probably without realizing it thanks to the liberal term of assault weapon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolus View Post
    Every American citizen should be forced to watch the following video in its entirety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yATeti5GmI8
    That's actually a very good video. Especially the quotes from the ATF agent and the LA detective.

Quote Originally Posted by uxzuigal View Post
    I believe that the US has a serious problem with people killing people, cops killing people. As evident by a murder per 100,000 people rate of: 16.3
    What the fuck? No. No, no, no.

Try 4.5, not 16.3.

Jesus. Disinformation much? I mean, it's not even close. The peak for murder rate in the US was back in 1980 at 10.2, which is still nowhere near 16.3.

And good luck getting an accurate murder rate out of Afghanistan, since the murder rate relies on murders being reported, and countries like Afghanistan are going to have way higher numbers of unreported murders than 1st world countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    Even by the definition of the people drafting assault weapon bans, the second rifle isn't an assault weapon...
    Tell that to the California legislature, which almost passed a law in 2013 banning them as assault weapons (was vetoed), and are trying again this year.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    That's actually a very good video. Especially the quotes from the ATF agent and the LA detective.

It's a great video. I have linked it a few times in random shooting threads and the gun control mega.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post

Tell that to the California legislature, which almost passed a law in 2013 banning them as assault weapons (was vetoed), and are trying again this year.
    I left that state for a reason, people in charge there are nutbars.

I would also like to point out to everyone that the North Hollywood shootout happened during a countrywide assault weapons ban... Not only were the firearms used prohibited under that law, but they were criminals already who weren't allowed to own any firearms at all, and then they committed a further felony by converting those semi auto weapons into full auto... and then robbed a bank and had a firefight with police for nearly an hour...

AWBs won't stop these people.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2016-06-19 at 03:08 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    While I appreciate the sentiment they are both assault weapons not assault rifles. Assault rifle would imply they are full auto or select fire.

A want go know who is making up these names. In the army,I never heard the term "assault rifle" or "assault weapon". Shit, we don't even have "assault helicopters". I heard marines have amphibious assault vehicles, but we call em APCs.

- - - Updated - - -

I left that state for a reason, people in charge there are nutbars.

I would also like to point out to everyone that the North Hollywood shootout happened during a countrywide assault weapons ban... Not only were the firearms used prohibited under that law, but they were criminals already who weren't allowed to own any firearms at all, and then they committed a further felony by converting those semi auto weapons into full auto... and then robbed a bank and had a firefight with police for nearly an hour...

AWBs won't stop these people.
    Clearly they got their guns from Texas and drove to Cali. And when America bans them, surely they got their weapons from Mexico and SA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempguy View Post
    A want go know who is making up these names. In the army,I never heard the term "assault rifle" or "assault weapon". Shit, we don't even have "assault helicopters". I heard marines have amphibious assault vehicles, but we call em APCs.

- - - Updated - - -

Clearly they got their guns from Texas and drove to Cali. And when America bans them, surely they got their weapons from Mexico and SA.
    The Germans did: Sturmgewehr, during WWII for the first select fire, intermediate cartridge chambered, magazine fed rifle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempguy View Post
    From what I recall the definition for assault rifle was made by the US Army, they did it to clearly mark the difference between full auto battle rifles that chamber full power cartridges, like the M14, and smaller caliber rifles like the M16 and M2 carbine... The need for the term in the military is pointless now, because no one uses battle rifles anymore.

There was a countrywide assault weapon ban in place at the time.

Also anything that loads a caliber in active service with any military is not legal in Mexico, not that they do a great job of enfocing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    The Germans did: Sturmgewehr, during WWII for the first select fire, intermediate cartridge chambered, magazine fed rifle.
    They didn't make the definition, and the STG44's name is technically Storm Rifle, not Assault Rifle... though I suppose they are interchangeable.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2016-06-19 at 05:27 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I recall the definition for assault rifle was made by the US Army, they did it to clearly mark the difference between full auto battle rifles that chamber full power cartridges, like the M14, and smaller caliber rifles like the M16 and M2 carbine... The need for the term in the military is pointless now, because no one uses battle rifles anymore.

There was a countrywide assault weapon ban in place at the time.

Also anything that loads a caliber in active service with any military is not legal in Mexico, not that they do a great job of enfocing it.

They didn't make up the definition, and the STG44's name is technically Storm Rifle, not Assault Rifle... though I suppose they are interchangeable.
    The Germans use "storm" like we use "assault". The StG44set the pattern for all assault rifles that followed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    The Germans use "storm" like we use "assault". The StG44set the pattern for all assault rifles that followed.
    They still didn't define the term, they just named the rifle...

Also it wasn't the first, there were others that are widely considered assault rifles that came before the STG44, like the Fedorov Avtomat, they are just not as well known.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    and if we put governors on all cars so they cant ever go over the highest allotted speed limit just think of all the lives that can be saved
    why do you want a car that can travel faster then the highest allotted speed limit? more people are killed every year from people speeding then guns by far
    Don't bring up the car argument, that will enrage them.

10+ Year Old Account
    They still didn't define the term, they just named the rifle...

Also it wasn't the first, there were others that are widely considered assault rifles that came before the STG44, like the Fedorov Avtomat, they are just not as well known.
    The term is based on the rifle so named.....

The Avtomat didnt fire an intermediate round, thus it is not an assault rifle.

Deleted
    God damn it. If they are not real i Demand a ban on Finger pistols for those 50 people who got killed. I mean if assault weapons are not real, very much like the deadly powers of finger pistols is debateable. I demand a ban on fingerpistols #BanFingerPistols

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    really getting tired of hearing informed idiots shouting to ban assault weapons. Or assault style weapons. Assault Weapon is neither a class nor a type of gun. Assault Rifle is an automatic Rifle used by militarys and has been banned in the US since the early 80s, and has not been used in any of the recent mass shootings. Media and politicians throwing "Assault" Or "Military style" in front of rifle or weapon for shock value is beyond retarded and anyone who knows even an ounce of anything about guns just rolls their eyes when they hear politicians exclaim they want to ban the sale of Assault weapons.

So can we please for fucks sake stop describing guns as Assault Weapons, or "Military Style AR15". Everytime i hear someone on the news say those they lose all credibility with me.
    Sounds like you are unable to come up with a cogent argument for why these weapons should be legal and instead are rambling about vocabulary.

Quote Originally Posted by tangers58 View Post
    Sounds like you are unable to come up with a cogent argument for why these weapons should be legal and instead are rambling about vocabulary.
    Why what weapons? Ban the Ar15 and there are a million other semi automatic rifles out there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Funny enough the guy didn't even use an AR-15 and people keep talking about the AR-15.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    A rifle that is not single action, single shot, and not designed for game hunting, and is instead a semi-automatic, which can be easily modified to be full auto, is an assault rifle. Period.

There is only 1 single use for these type weapons, and that is to kill people as quickly and efficiently as possible.

And yes, they are assault rifles.

- - - Updated - - -

Not the brightest one are you?
    What about target shooting?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Why what weapons? Ban the Ar15 and there are a million other semi automatic rifles out there.
    Indeed. Maybe that's why a ban on all semi automatics, handguns included could be on the way. I mean if the 2nd has already been infringed upon by taking away fully automatic and select fire weapons, why not semi autos too, the precedent is there, is it not? Truth is, Clinton is going to win this fall and the Dems will likely take back the Senate due to Trump's toxicity and the GOP is going to be falling all over themselves to confirm Merick Garland if Obama doesn't pull him back first. Reason being, once Clinton is sworn in she's going to appoint a far more liberal justice in his place and will do so when any of the other 2-3 justices expected to need replacing die/resign during her term(s).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    What about target shooting?
    Target shooting isn't a reasonable purpose to necessitate a weapon capable of firing a couple hundred rounds off in a few mins.
    Last edited by Fahrenheit; 2016-06-19 at 10:23 AM.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

10+ Year Old Account
    Indeed. Maybe that's why a ban on all semi automatics, handguns included could be on the way. I mean if the 2nd has already been infringed upon by taking away fully automatic and select fire weapons, why not semi autos too, the precedent is there, is it not? Truth is, Clinton is going to win this fall and the Dems will likely take back the Senate due to Trump's toxicity and the GOP is going to be falling all over themselves to confirm Merick Garland if Obama doesn't pull him back first. Reason being, once Clinton is sworn in she's going to appoint a far more liberal justice in his place and will do so when any of the other 2-3 justices expected to need replacing die/resign during her term(s).

- - - Updated - - -

Target shooting isn't a reasonable purpose to necessitate a weapon capable of firing a couple hundred rounds off in a few mins.
    How about art? What if I wanna hang it on my wall?

Is the fact that it is exercising a civil right a reasonable purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by tangers58 View Post

I got one.

They should be legal because they are responsible so few deaths that it is plain stupid to ban them and ignore the guns that kill more.
    http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/09/14...apon-myth.html

Banning black rifles will do nothing. Knives kill more people. That's how insignificant the numbers are. You may as well start arresting fuss making finger guns like the last guy suggested , cause that's how much effect it will have in real gun crime overall.