Page 41 of 84 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovassy View Post
    Pyroblast 20% chance for 200% SP bonus damage with hardcasted Pyroblasts for 15s (the 1st successful bonus removes the 15s "buff"). Seems really RNG. With 3x non successful casts it's a significant dps loss... and it has 51,2% chance to happen.
    This is surely not the way this legendary is designed to work, you've incorrectly understood 2 of the 3 items. Every time you consume Hot Streak, there is a 20% chance a buff will appear which makes your next non-instant Pyroblast cast within 15 seconds deal 200% damage. It doesn't work in the way you described, which is every single time you consume Hot Streak, they expect you to then keep hard casting Pyroblast for the next 15 seconds to fish for the 200% damage proc, that would make no sense at all.
    Last edited by GwiGwi; 2016-06-18 at 02:44 PM.

And if you really don't like the Pyro one (which I can understand..) there's still the double BL one.

Quote Originally Posted by Recom View Post
    And if you really don't like the Pyro one (which I can understand..) there's still the double BL one.
    His concern is/was with fire scaling poorly compared to the other 2 mage specs due to having lackluster legendaries, not the mage class legendary items.

Deleted
    One thing against the Scorch execute item is that, from my understanding, it won't benefit from Enhanced Pyrotechnics. Might still be worth it in the end because of the higher amount of Pyroblasts you get from faster Scorch casts. There's probably gonna be a certain crit number and when you get over that number Scorch execute is more beneficial than normal Fireball because you don't really "need" the Enhanced Pyrotechnics. During Combustion you're just gonna want to throw out instants anyway so Scorch rotation won't really help there.

Btw for those on beta, can Phoenix Flames proc heating up/Pyroblast procs?

Quote Originally Posted by encaitor View Post
    Btw for those on beta, can Phoenix Flames proc heating up/Pyroblast procs?
    Yes it (finally) can ! It even can grant you a full HS since the single target and splash are 2 separate damage instances so if you get 2 crits you get a HS. Not sure if that's going to stay as is though..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GwiGwi View Post
    His concern is/was with fire scaling poorly compared to the other 2 mage specs due to having lackluster legendaries, not the mage class legendary items.
    You can't really dismiss the cross spec legendaries, they might just end up being better for some spec, hence my comment.

It even can grant you a full HS since the single target and splash are 2 separate damage instances so if you get 2 crits you get a HS. Not sure if that's going to stay as is though..
    this got patched a while ago as I remember, since then it only grants procs based on the single target damage hit

looking into leveling a mage. watched preach's video on fire mages and according to him, fire mages are really dumbed down due to combustion. do people tend to agree with him on this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1az9rys58JQ
    No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. – Socrates

that fire mage video of preach is the worst video of his videos. fire mage plays really fluid and good on beta.

If you want detailed answers, ask detailed questions instead of linkin a 1 hour long rant video.

Can u tell me aoe rotation? my damage seems low

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ElTioRudo View Post
    Can u tell me aoe rotation? my damage seems low
    Now this is PTR and we're still in tuning so don't look to closely into this but I found getting heating up procs while tanks gathered shit up and then just LB -> Flamestrike -> DB -> Flamestrike/LB do a crapload of damage. This with my 735ish mage from live I usually topped the charts when we did some heroics earlier today.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost1129 View Post
    Because you're a Fire mage. Your entire kit is designed around generating pyroblasts, which you are not going to do while constantly losing crit as you level. Mages have always sucked at leveling unless you're Frost.
    I leveled the basic premade character, whos gear is almost 100% pure mastery for some reason, and it was never an issue, between proper use of dragons breath, ice nova, and cauterizing blink nothing can kill you. Also you hover around 30-40% crit depending on your quest rewards so it's not even that big of a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jks View Post
    that fire mage video of preach is the worst video of his videos. fire mage plays really fluid and good on beta.
    seems like there isn't a "good" aoe caster class. i dont know much about fire mages at all in legion, how would you rate their aoe dmg?
    No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. – Socrates

Deleted
    It even can grant you a full HS since the single target and splash are 2 separate damage instances so if you get 2 crits you get a HS.
    This is wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzeeyooo View Post
    it only grants procs based on the single target damage hit
    This is correct.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tangosmango View Post
    looking into leveling a mage. watched preach's video on fire mages and according to him, fire mages are really dumbed down due to combustion. do people tend to agree with him on this?

Combustion is less interesting than it was before, but more useable and way less swingy. On live, getting a good Combustion can mean the difference between good and sucky overall DPS. In Legion, Combustion is very reliable.

The reliability comes at the cost of skill, though. Properly using your combustion on live requires skill, knowledge, and addon and somewhat of a 'quick' reaction time. On Beta, you just use it as soon as you have a Hot Streak proc and then go through a fail safe rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzeeyooo View Post
    this got patched a while ago as I remember, since then it only grants procs based on the single target damage hit
    Oh ok my bad it's been a while since I played fire on beta.

So, i have seen a couple of raid testing videos... and i confirm the general positive opinion i am developing about this spec. Nice single target sustained damage, amazing burst ability via Combustion, nice sustained cleave (which becomes amazing when burning Phoenix Flames, should you decide to do so) and nice mass AoE (which becomes borderline crazy with Conflagration once Ignite is on all possible targets).

Cast times are long(ish, it's not Arcane) but we have many possibilities for instant casts, resulting in being less penalized on movement heavy fights (the nightmare of all casters).

I expect a couple of nerfs here and there, expecially to our entirely passive and automatic AoE ability (it's insane, go see a couple of videos on mythic raid testing of the spidery boss... it's hilarious).

To my personal taste, it's Legion's best Mage spec by far, and one of the best specs overall. It's what i will play (no big changes, i always did )

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd just like to note some mechanical behaviour that might not be completely intuitive.

When using Tome of Shifting Words and casting Inferno Blast, the Flamestrike generated by said trinket will a) consume Hot Streak if the buff is active and b) cost the full mana amount. The latter is an issue as it costs a whopping 4800 mana, meaning you run out of mana in well under 3 minutes - causing you to have to twiddle your thumbs since the fire spec has no way of actively restoring it.

Prophecy of Fear's Mark of Doom debuff is triggered by the Conflagration talent's "Flare Up" effect (10% chance per Ignite tick). It is also triggered once for each cinder that hits if using the talent Cinderstorm, up to a maximum of all 6 cinders causing 6 Doom Nova explosions.

Right now I truly hope that a couple of changes are being made. First of all, since it basically means the trinket is completely unusable on fights that are over ~140 seconds, make the Tome of Shifting Words- generated Flamestrike be free of cost instead of the full 4800 mana. Secondly I would also like Hot Streak to make Pyroblast cost no mana, as fire still runs OOM even without using Tome of Shifting Words after the significant nerf to base mana regeneration. It's just a lot slower without using ToSW.

Keep in mind the mana issues are restricted to levels below 110. It's mainly for the pre-patch and Broken Shore scenario.
    Armory
    Twitter
    Altered-Time.com - the #1 Mage Theorycrafting community.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinoa View Post
    I'd just like to note some mechanical behaviour that might not be completely intuitive.

When using Tome of Shifting Words and casting Inferno Blast, the Flamestrike generated by said trinket will a) consume Hot Streak if the buff is active and b) cost the full mana amount. The latter is an issue as it costs a whopping 4800 mana, meaning you run out of mana in well under 3 minutes - causing you to have to twiddle your thumbs since the fire spec has no way of actively restoring it.

Prophecy of Fear's Mark of Doom debuff is triggered by the Conflagration talent's "Flare Up" effect (10% chance per Ignite tick). It is also triggered once for each cinder that hits if using the talent Cinderstorm, up to a maximum of all 6 cinders causing 6 Doom Nova explosions.

Right now I truly hope that a couple of changes are being made. First of all, since it basically means the trinket is completely unusable on fights that are over ~140 seconds, make the Tome of Shifting Words- generated Flamestrike be free of cost instead of the full 4800 mana. Secondly I would also like Hot Streak to make Pyroblast cost no mana, as fire still runs OOM even without using Tome of Shifting Words after the significant nerf to base mana regeneration. It's just a lot slower without using ToSW.

Keep in mind the mana issues are restricted to levels below 110. It's mainly for the pre-patch and Broken Shore scenario.
    while i appreciate this information, i think the ToSW-Problem will become nullified once you hit lvl 102 (assuming one has Orb of Voidsight which is the heirloom trinket from WoD mythic dungeons).

10+ Year Old Account
    While it's true that the mana issue goes away, that won't help very much for the viability of Tome of Shifting Words at level 100 once 7.0 hits. I'm not saying a great amount of effort should be put into ensuring 7.0 is flawless before Legion launches, but having the supposedly super exciting class/spec trinket be completely non-viable on bossfights that aren't over very shortly or don't have a lot of downtime (Hellfire Assault) might be a bit of an annoyance to quite a lot of players.

Also a huge amount of enemies aren't demons while you're leveling, so Orb of Voidsight probably won't be used all that much. At least not by players that already have good gear. It should be quite good for lower geared characters I suppose.
    Armory
    Twitter
    Altered-Time.com - the #1 Mage Theorycrafting community.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tangosmango View Post

Isn't it obvious? It's part of the artifact system of Legion. The specs must be balanced (as much as possible, if it's possible) and part of it is balancing the utility, not only the numbers (and the utility is probably the main thing that has to be balanced to begin with since numbers were never the biggest problem). This explains why Combustion becomes just a regular cooldown of less potency, which will result to saner AOE, which in turn makes them able to give it better single target more confidently.

As it looks right now of course Fire appears excessively good because AOE appears good (and even automatic to a large extend) while single target appears to be good, which might make a super spec in the sense of "meta" because it's both easy to play and good.