Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    Is the fact that it is exercising a civil right a reasonable purpose?
    No, it's not. If it were, you'd be able to own any firearm you'd want to.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Quote Originally Posted by tangers58 View Post
    Sounds like you are unable to come up with a cogent argument for why these weapons should be legal and instead are rambling about vocabulary.
    This argument is ass backwards. When it comes to rights, the government has to defend infringements of them, not the other way around. That's why they can hold you liable for shouting "fire" in a crowded theater, but not for telling them they suck. They've successfully defended, in court, the infringement of your free speech in that specific type of scenario, and the courts agreed that on that specific application the infringement is not unduly onerous for the societal benefit it gives.

The last AWB was never challenged in court, to my knowledge, but if they reinstate it, anyone who wishes to challenge it has the government's own reports which demonstrate that the last AWB did fuck all to curb violent crime in any way.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

There is no way the government could satisfy heightened scrutiny to justify a ban on cosmetic features were they to attempt to reinstate the AWB.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    Target shooting isn't a reasonable purpose to necessitate a weapon capable of firing a couple hundred rounds off in a few mins.
    For added clarity, your "reasonable purpose" test is completely irrelevant, and indeed almost diametrically opposite, to the actual constitutional law issues where a civil liberty interest is involved.

Obviously we need to ban knives. They are used to commit more murders than "assault" rifles.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...ables/table-20

Btw, here is a normal knife.

This is an assault knife.

Last edited by Dolus; 2016-06-19 at 12:58 PM.
    "Plato is dear to me, but dearer still is truth." - Aristotle

Hog god I'm the triggered ! Nnnnnfgggnnnng!!

Ban then. Ban them all!

/gets stabbed by Jaime Lannister

Obviously, we need to ban 3D printers.

https://www.wired.com/2015/06/i-made...-15-ghost-gun/

Andddd you can't have 10 round mags anymore.

Andddd revolvers... you can't use those anymore.

Last edited by Dolus; 2016-06-19 at 01:16 PM.
    "Plato is dear to me, but dearer still is truth." - Aristotle

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    The term is based on the rifle so named.....

The Avtomat didnt fire an intermediate round, thus it is not an assault rifle.
    That depends how you define intermediate... 6.5x50mm is a hell of a lot weaker, and smaller than other rifle cartridges of it's day(8mm Mauser, 30-06, .303Brit, 7.7×58mm, 7.62x54, etc)... It's smaller and weaker than .276 Pedersen, which was considered an intermediate cartridge.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    No, it's not. If it were, you'd be able to own any firearm you'd want to.
    We already can, we are still legally allowed to own full auto firearms, manufacturers just aren't allowed to sell new ones to civilians anymore... They are extremely rare, and considered collectors items, but if you have $25,000 and some patience you can buy a full auto M16... Any full auto firearms that were registered with the NFA before may 19 1986 are still legal, and can be transferred from person to person.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2016-06-19 at 04:16 PM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolus View Post
    Obviously we need to ban knives. They are used to commit more murders than "assault" rifles.
    I'm not sure if that is true but its kinda hard to ban knives when you can fashion one from practically any length of metal.

also, killing someone with a knife is way more personal, shooting someone, rather detached by comparison, you aim pull the trigger, they die xx metres away, you knife someone in the jugular they are gunna be spraying blood all over you (hell you knife someone anywhere your gunna be in range to get splattered), you have to be some kinda extra crazy to be able to go on a knife rampage and not have it effect you. also ofc you have to contend with the fact that you may get that wrestled from you a hell of a lot easier than you would if it were a gun.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2016-06-19 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    I'm not sure if that is true but its kinda hard to ban knives when you can fashion one from practically any length of metal.

also, killing someone with a knife is way more personal, shooting someone, rather detached by comparison, you aim pull the trigger, they die xx metres away, you knife someone in the jugular they are gunna be spraying blood all over you (hell you knife someone anywhere your gunna be in range to get splattered), you have to be some kinda extra crazy to be able to go on a knife rampage and not have it effect you. also ofc you have to contend with the fact that you may get that wrestled from you a hell of a lot easier than you would if it were a gun.
    Aren't they trying to ban many knives in Britain?

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Aren't they trying to ban many knives in Britain?
    I don't think so,I mean it is already illegal to walk around with a knife ofc (at least you need to explain a valid reason for having one on you, like tradesmen), in the same way its illegal to have anything that can be used as a weapon in reach of a driver in a vehicle just incase you get into some road rage and decide to reach for the box cutter in the door tray. but logically speaking banning eating utensils is rather absurd and again, basically impossible.

someone probably is trying to ban them maybe, but thats also like the fact that nearly every country has ppl trying to ban various things because they feel like they are a bad influence, violent video games spring to mind. i bet there is a group nearly everywhere trying to push that.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2016-06-19 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    I don't think so,I mean it is already illegal to walk around with a knife ofc (at least you need to explain a valid reason for having one on you, like tradesmen), in the same way its illegal to have anything that can be used as a weapon in reach of a driver in a vehicle just incase you get into some road rage and decide to reach for the box cutter in the door tray. but logically speaking banning eating utensils is rather absurd and again, basically impossible.

someone probably is trying to ban them maybe, but thats also like the fact that nearly every country has ppl trying to ban various things because they feel like they are a bad influence, violent video games spring to mind. i bet there is a group nearly everywhere trying to push that.
    http://www.snopes.com/2015/06/22/sav...er-your-knife/

This is what I was referring to, banning pointy knives... bleh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Posting to complain about people complaining is never particularly constructive, and we already have a gun control thread something like this can belong in.