Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Why do Vrykul npcs sound like Swedish Chef?

I mean you can't have a pandaren going ching chong ping pong, why is this not racist?

because swedish chef is near and dear to our ershky bershky heartshky weartskies
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Because class fantasy.

7+ Year Old Account
    I need a link for this.

Because you can't be racist against white people.

/bait

There's a difference between "ching chong ping pong" and an accent. The Vrykul NPCs I've heard have a stereotypical Norwegian accent, just like most Pandaren NPCs have a stereotypical East Asian accent of indeterminate origin.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Deleted
    Because Fjørgenbjørgen.

Sorry, I will show myself out.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    There's a difference between "ching chong ping pong" and an accent. The Vrykul NPCs I've heard have a stereotypical Norwegian accent, just like most Pandaren NPCs have a stereotypical East Asian accent of indeterminate origin.
    Talking about the new ones, not the old ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archimtiros View Post
    Talking about the new ones, not the old ones.
    Do you have a link for a video with the lines? I'd like to hear them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Do you have a link for a video with the lines? I'd like to hear them.

The female (follower, not val'kyr) voice was added after this video, but it's just as bad.

The female (follower, not val'kyr) voice was added after this video, but it's just as bad.
    oh my god i thought that was fake when the first line cut in

that's really really bad

I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondercrab View Post
    oh my god i thought that was fake when the first line cut in

that's really really bad

I love it.
    Nothing but the worst for us glorious warriors. *cheap Vrykul accent*

The real question is, why don't EVERYONE sound like Swedish Chef??

He sounds hilarious.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Most likely due to the fact that the Vrykul are based on the Nordic peoples and their beliefs, so Sweden, Norway, and that entire region.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even as a Scandinavian that's cringeworthy.
    Thundercunts and stuff

Uhhh, sounds like a cheesy Norwegian accent to me.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    Uhhh, sounds like a cheesy Norwegian accent to me.
    I'm not sure I would use the words stereotypical and cheesy as synonyms, but I'm not sure of the point is regardless. It's in no way realistic, pleasant sounding, or even flavorful.

It's one thing to make a character sound "rough" (see normal Vrykul), unique or even over-the-top; it's another to make you want to mute your sound. They managed to make Sonya in HotS sound interesting without nail-on-chalkboard like this.

Deleted
    Oh dear god.

This alone, is enough to deter me from playing Warrior.

That's not how Scandinavian people sound. That's how people in the US who has never spoken to a Scandinavian thinks we sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrif View Post
    That's not how Scandinavian people sound. That's how people in the US who has never spoken to a Scandinavian thinks we sound.
    Just like how Goblins sound like how people who have never spoken to a New Yorker think they sound, and most TV Boston accents sound like what someone who has never spoken to a Bostonian thinks they sound. I don't see any reason to get bent out of shape about it.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure I would use the words stereotypical and cheesy as synonyms, but I'm not sure of the point is regardless. It's in no way realistic, pleasant sounding, or even flavorful.

It's one thing to make a character sound "rough" (see normal Vrykul), unique or even over-the-top; it's another to make you want to mute your sound. They managed to make Sonya in HotS sound interesting without nail-on-chalkboard like this.
    You realize this is entirely a subjective matter and that millions of people will play through these quests without ever once getting irritated, right?
    Beta Club Brosquad