Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    That's... fucking abysmal.

To put that in perspective, Jurassic World made $208 million in the US opening weekend.
    Jurassic World was a total beast and I'm pretty sure Jurassic World 2 will gross AT LEAST $700-800M worldwide, and that would happen only if it gets 20% on RT, bad word of mouth, and the eventual presence of a very strong competition. If that doesn't happen, Jurassic World 2 will probably gross more than $1Billion worldwide.

This is just to show how different a franchise like Jurassic is perceived compared to Warcraft.

A comparison with Jurassic World is maybe too much. Warcraft coldn't reach those nubmers even with a 100% on RT, IMO

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    205M*0,25=51M 172*0,5 = 86M = 137M to the movie company. Hence still a loss on 137M-160M = -23M It still a loss but not a bomb.
    You keep using the 25%. That's wrong, it's way more complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Yes it is. Which is why some experts are predicting any sequel will be a 100% chinese production...

Quote Originally Posted by Snuke View Post
    Yes it is. Which is why some experts are predicting any sequel will be a 100% chinese production...
    and thats a bad thing why?
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    and thats a bad thing why?
    Because I live in the US and they won't be doing a domestic release as literally everyone involved in releasing this movie for domestic audiences lost money on that endeavor... I don't have anything against Chinese produced films, some of my favorites come from that area, but I would appreciate seeing the movie in theaters. Especially if they can fix the issues people have with the first film.

Why are people talking about the box office results at this time when it isn't even over yet? It's in its second weekend in the US and China. The China figures aren't even in yet. It's in its first weekend in a couple of markets including Australia and parts of South America and those figures aren't in either. In fact most of the figures of the foreign box office results for this weekend isn't in yet. In Sweden it's on it's what.. 4th weekend? Yet in my circle of friends I know two guys who went to see it (with other people that I don't know), so I would believe it still has a bit of money left to earn in European and Russian markets as well. It has yet to open in some markets such as Japan. With that in mind, the fact that it is now at $377 million excluding this weekend's foreign box office results looks very promising. Maybe evaluate the success at the box office when its run has concluded?
    Last edited by Zarc; 2016-06-19 at 06:18 PM.

Deleted
    Investment is investment.

- - - Updated - - -

Because I live in the US and they won't be doing a domestic release as literally everyone involved in releasing this movie for domestic audiences lost money on that endeavor... I don't have anything against Chinese produced films, some of my favorites come from that area, but I would appreciate seeing the movie in theaters. Especially if they can fix the issues people have with the first film.
    The US isn't the only market in the world (nor the biggest next year).

i highly doubt they would forgo a theatrical release alltogether. it would probably get a limited run
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    Blizzard sold the movie rights to Legendary in 2006. That's what I read in an article on the internet. Just can't remember where.
    Legendary is not big enough to shoulder it alone, being an ambitious but relatively young studio.

They got to partner up with a bigger studio.

Their boss Thomas Tull is an entrepreneur who laundry machine business not long ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Taro10 View Post
    Good thing is that Blizzard Activision are already making their studios! They're planning on releasing a Call of Duty movie, Skylanders series for kids, maybe even overwatch series? I'm sure if Legendary/Universal acted like little B!tches then Blizzard can say screw you all...might cost us a raid tier but hey...
    If you knew about Legendary, Legendary makes movies for fanboys, like Pacific Rim, like Man of Steel.

Their long time partner was always Warner Bros before Universal.

Legendary will part ways with Universal, just a matter of time IMHO.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by karzal View Post
    Results are in.

Warcraft made $6.5 million in the US in this weekend. Well it sucks, but it's higher than expected ($5.9), and it's without sunday (I think).
    For once please, BO Mojo, update more quickly!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lesane View Post
    If this movie isn't resonating with general audiences then why would Warcraft resonate with them to begin with? Keep in mind that someone who hasn't seen the movie doesn't know what it's about or what it's like, so you can't say they didn't go because of how the movie turned out. This movie showcased what Warcraft is about. It's a 50/50 story between humans and orcs. Apparently people don't care unless they're already invested into Warcraft or dragged along by a Warcraft fan. This movie was already labeled as a problem movie by Universal I believe, long before any reviewers or general audience got their hands on it. Warcraft just doesn't have enough mass appeal, and unless they can make a LotR quality movie out of it (which would be an insane task due to how Warcraft works and having to rely far more on CGI) it's never going to draw in masses.

How are Frostwolves going to make any difference if you don't tell their story? This movie told the Frostwolves' story as the main story for the orcs. All character development for the orc side was purely focused on the Frostwolves.

Exactly my point. This is what Warcraft is about, two sides in conflict with each other with good and bad on both sides. If that doesn't appeal to mass audiences, then they shouldn't make Warcraft movies. Completely changing what Warcraft is about and showing a one sided story would completely miss what Warcraft is about and why would they have bothered to buy the rights for it if they're just going to completely change the soul of the franchise anyway?

Regarding the worth it statement. It was worth it in terms of existence. It was something new. A movie where the ugly beasts are not all bad and actually are strangely "human". That most people just want to see good looking humans chopping up ugly orcs is a different matter, since those people should just watch LotR for that. We didn't need another LotR movie, especially since the Warcraft movie was never designed to be a LotR style story so it would just turn out to be horrible.

I mean, look at you guys trying to advocate butchering Warcraft into a movie that completely misses the point so it can appeal to mass audiences. This is what cinema has become. Never take risks and just do whatever the mindless audiences want to see. That's why we're swimming in sequels and have 5 comic book movies per year. I'm glad they decided to stick to the essence of Warcraft with this one, even if it means it'll be the last Warcraft movie ever to be made.

Yes, that would've worked out great. Garona goes to tell the humans that not all orcs are that bad, and then the rest of the movie we just see orcs trying to raze human settlements and cities with an ending where the very orc who said they're not all bad ends up killing the human king. It would be retarded and it wouldn't even reach the 20% on RT that the current movie has. Also, no orc knew they were tricked except Durotan. All the Kil'jaeden manipulation happened behind the scenes between him and Ner'zhul/Gul'dan. It wasn't until Warcraft 3 that it was revealed that drinking the demon blood bound the orcs to the will of the Burning Legion. Even when they expanded upon the pre-WC1 story it was only Durotan and his wife that knew about it, and IIRC they never told anyone besides Orgrim.

Appeal to mass audiences.

I took non-Warcraft players with me to the movie on both occasions and they loved the movie, even though I was a bit (positively) skeptical after my first viewing. I've seen so many anecdotes of people with similar experiences. The problem isn't that the movie sucks ass for non-fans, because that's not true at all. Many non-fans liked the movie. The problem is that those non-fans don't think of going to the movie unless a fan drags them in. And since all the fans already saw the movie by now, they're not going to keep going to drag in non-fans. That's why you see the movie having such a bursting opener in China for example, and then dropping rock bottom within a week.

I mean, someone who hasn't seen the movie can never know whether it'll suck ass for him or her unless he or she sees it. The problem is not negative reactions after seeing it, it is the lack of people seeing it. Marketing failed hard on this movie, which is something that people were already discussing months before the movie came out. Even the people in this thread who are defending the movie in every way right now were having serious doubts after the promotional material they put out leading up to the movie.

Yes, let's keep the guy who came up with the Warcraft story and lore away from a movie about the Warcraft story and lore. This is the same shit that happened with Star Wars. Now shitting on Metzen is the cool thing to do like shitting on Lucas was. Well, I don't know about others but I thought TFA was a massive disappointment and I was a pretty big Star Wars fan. It wasn't a bad movie but it was just a one for one copy of ANH and definitely not worth waiting 11 years for.

I love how people twist his tweets to suit their own arguments. He was replying to some guy who ordered the Warcraft blu-ray and saying he was hyped about the director's cut to which DJ replied that the disc he ordered isn't a DC and only has some extra scenes. Later people asked him if that means there's no DC to which he replied that it's all driven by numbers. In other words, if the people who invest in this movie are satisfied enough with what the movie managed to earn there'll be a DC and otherwise not. That's literally what he has been saying before, during and after the movie came out. Somehow people think it's something new.

Uhm, yes? The goal of marketing is to get people hyped up to go see the movie. They failed everywhere because they only managed to convince the fans who were most likely going to see it regardless.

The movie having issues does not cause the box office drop. The movie having issues isn't revealed until you either watch the movie yourself or hear someone else talking about it and recommending you not to spend your money on it. Unless you're willing to argue that BO results for any movie after the opening weekend are just people who want to watch the movie for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th time, your argument makes no sense. The only way the movie having issues leads to such a major drop in BO is if the reviews are so bad that nobody wants to see the movie anymore after reading them. That was definitely part of what happened in the US. I have no idea about the Chinese reviews.

1. Paula Patton herself mentioned in interviews that she was wearing her teeth prosthetic all the time prior to filming and that she was taking care of her kid while wearing them or whatever.
    2. Those computer generated characters are played by actors as well. It's just that they have a CGI character layered over them. Their mimics, dialogue and other forms of acting are all done by the mo-cap actor.

It's the only thing that matters when it comes to discussing the performance of a movie and the potential for a sequel.

It's called the beginning because it's the beginning of the story. Duncan Jones himself stated that he has ideas for sequels and we'll have to wait and see if they "let him" make them. They obviously won't let him do it if the film is a financial disaster. Blizzard has no say in this lol. Blizzard just gives the rights to use their franchise and has some people advising them to make sure it doesn't stray too far away from what they want Warcraft to be known for.

Are you seriously trying to argue that film studios do not base their decisions on money?

Legendary acquired the rights to Warcraft and it's not as easy as saying "we're just gonna let some other guys do it". There's a Warcraft movie made by Legendary now and they can't just produce a sequel based on the first movie if that first movie was made by another studio.

Also, no studio is going to sign up for making another Warcraft movie if the first one was a financial failure.

His arguments make way more sense than "it's titled the beginning so sequels are already confirmed" or "it's Blizzard of course they'll do a sequel".

Except you know, if they're making 10007 movies that don't make a worthwhile profit they're going to run out of money real fast.

Yes they had mockups of Orgrim and orc weapons so the actors could get a scope of the size for reference. It wasn't used in any of the filming though.
    Man, you got lot of convos going on, some with semi trolls.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tangocash View Post
    I predicted 365-380, and pretty precise again, harhar

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Anduin94 View Post
    Jurassic World was a total beast and I'm pretty sure Jurassic World 2 will gross AT LEAST $700-800M worldwide, and that would happen only if it gets 20% on RT, bad word of mouth, and the eventual presence of a very strong competition. If that doesn't happen, Jurassic World 2 will probably gross more than $1Billion worldwide.

This is just to show how different a franchise like Jurassic is perceived compared to Warcraft.

A comparison with Jurassic World is maybe too much. Warcraft coldn't reach those nubmers even with a 100% on RT, IMO
    I do not think Jurassic Park 3 did so well. The first two films by Spielberg were well received.

The first one being the best CG movie at that time (1993)

Boxoffice mojo says $156,809,077 for China while listing $377,611,525 world wide while Chinaboxoffice says it made 186.4M in China not 156M
    https://twitter.com/ChinaBoxOffice/s...37969300201476

absolute crap, nothing is 100%

Legendary being owned by Chinese is still US based, Blizzard is a US company.

Unless China makes its own Warcraft movie without Blizzard which they did by the way, small production about a gamer who plays WOW (title:My WOW) (I think it was a hoax movie leading to a press conference)

And never heard of Globalism, have we? Again crap, yes, the Chinese could be more involved but that is it.

I give it a 40% participation from Chinese side at best.

You have been talking out of your behind for quite some time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tangocash View Post
    Boxoffice mojo says $156,809,077 for China while listing $377,611,525 world wide while Chinaboxoffice says it made 186.4M in China not 156M
    https://twitter.com/ChinaBoxOffice/s...37969300201476
    The overall numbers are right but BO Mojo did not update individual numbers like the Chinese number is stuck on June 12th.

It has actually grossed about 204.9 Million after Sunday.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    Why are people talking about the box office results at this time when it isn't even over yet? It's in its second weekend in the US and China. The China figures aren't even in yet. It's in its first weekend in a couple of markets including Australia and parts of South America and those figures aren't in either. In fact most of the figures of the foreign box office results for this weekend isn't in yet. In Sweden it's on it's what.. 4th weekend? Yet in my circle of friends I know two guys who went to see it (with other people that I don't know), so I would believe it still has a bit of money left to earn in European and Russian markets as well. It has yet to open in some markets such as Japan. With that in mind, the fact that it is now at $377 million excluding this weekend's foreign box office results looks very promising. Maybe evaluate the success at the box office when its run has concluded?
    I give you 5 stars for that, people in here have Zero Patience, wait till the end of its run.

- - - Updated - - -

It opens in six more territories on the week of June 30th, specifically Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Panama, Peru, and Japan.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/06/19/box-office-warcraft-drops-near-record-73-still-becomes-biggest-video-game-movie-ever/#137dd7c24689

Oh snap, those South American numbers will not be out for weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Dark Shady;40962085]
    Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post

Nope the calculations are wrong They are more complex and higher % for China

- - - Updated - - -

Its Flopcraft in US
    lmao Alice 2 was bad with 67 Million in the US.... cannot get worse than that. I hope.

7+ Year Old Account
    I apologize on behalf of the US for having poor taste in movies.

Deleted
    been to see the film today & was distinctly underwhelmed. went in with an open mind, but it was pretty average.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirgamech View Post
    I apologize on behalf of the US for having poor taste in movies.
    ???

I mean, let's ignore all the critically acclaimed films throughout the times. America has poor taste cause they didn't like the movie based off a game you liked.

Next you'll tell me 50 shades of grey was great. Cause you know, we hated that too.
    Last edited by Tempguy; 2016-06-19 at 08:27 PM.

Deleted
    Enlight me then...are the moive company doing gain or loss?

Quote Originally Posted by daywalker02 View Post
    absolute crap, nothing is 100%

Legendary being owned by Chinese is still US based, Blizzard is a US company.

Unless China makes its own Warcraft movie without Blizzard which they did by the way, small production about a gamer who plays WOW (title:My WOW) (I think it was a hoax movie leading to a press conference)

You seem to be confused here. The issue is that Legendary isn't standing to make a profit currently(as a US company they 100% only get 25% of the Chinese box office). Their parent company is profiting because they also get a chunk of profit from the box office of their theaters in China. Legendary opened a studio in China that is the Chinese branch of their company. That studio would likely make a sequel at this point as the only country they're really making money in is China(yes a bunch of other smaller markets are experiencing a good reception, but the major markets are what matter to large films). Any such film likely wouldn't get a full domestic release as the theaters in the US and Canada have all lost money on showing Warcraft at this point. Because it's not being targeted at the markets it did poorly in(English speaking markets) it would therefor be targeted at the market it has actually been successful in(China). Everyone else would get dubbed or subbed versions of this sequel that would then star Chinese actors mostly(out of necessity as the film would be shot in Mandarin to appeal to their core audience). This isn't coming out of my ass, this is entirely based on comments from a man named Jeff Bock who is an industry analyst specifically relating to box office. I'm sorry that you don't like it, but I'm not just farting into the wind and thinking it smelled like roses because I'm standing next to a bush.

The reason I say a 100% Chinese production is because it would essentially be that. Yes, Blizzard would have input on story and things like that, but that's pre-production. Not production.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Had chills whenever this played (obviously, during Gul'Dan's theme). It's the sort of thing (music like this) I completely missed during the first watch, but was completely blown away by during the rewatch:

Deleted
    You seem to be confused here. The issue is that Legendary isn't standing to make a profit currently(as a US company they 100% only get 25% of the Chinese box office).
    Again with the 25%. Someone thrown that number and got stuck, without knowing what kind of shady economics the PRC (yes, the chinese government is also part of the umbrella corp. that invested on the movie) will do in word to create a successful movie market.

Again with the 25%. Someone thrown that number and got stuck, without knowing what kind of shady economics the PRC (yes, the chinese government is also part of the umbrella corp. that invested on the movie) will do in word to create a successful movie market.
    It doesn't matter what they would do to create a successful movie market. If they're circumventing the tax laws and whatnot then I want a sequel from them even less as they're the worst scum on the planet. White collar criminals. If you have some evidence that they're magically sending more money to the US than would be sent for any other movie/company, please report it to the FCC as they are breaking federal law and the entire company(including Legendary) need to face prosecution.

Snuke you are out of your mind,same as the guy who told whole cast in sequel will be chinese.