10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    It's even worse - they have a free will then and use it to do evil. They are not only inherently evil, but wicked.
    Did you miss the entire point of the Orcs literally being cursed by the Fel? They no longer had free will as long as the puppet master willed it. Gul'dan showed how he could destroy any Fel infused Orc, which is why they all feared him at the end of the film. The tragedy of the Orcs is that they cursed themselves because they believed in Gul'dan, which was a grave mistake. This one mistake haunted their people for generations.

Also, did you think the Fel corrupted Medivh had free will as well when he let the Orcs into Azeroth?
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2016-06-19 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitrino View Post
    This. You totally nailed it.
    I've always seen it like the first two games were told from the human POV, thus depicting the Orcs as brutal an savage (which they are) demonic bad guys (which they aren't). It happens in actual real world History as well. Often the winning side tells the History as if they were the good guys and the beaten were the bad guys.
    It is not until Warcraft 3 that we learn the true about the other side with the Orc POV showing us the bad guys weren't as bad as the humans pretended. Which is a more realistic approach to what war actually is. There is no "good guys" and "bad guys" in a war. Each one of the sides fights for whats they think is right. And war is what Warcraft is all about.
    WWII was definitely "good vs. evil". I'm sick of this "nobody is really bad" bullshit - bad people exist. Wars are fought for bad and evil reasons. And there is nothing wrong with writing a movie that sets up a definitive "bad side", it's done all the time. A fantasy movie is probably the worst vehicle to use to set up a redemption story - people want battles, blood, and heroes. In this story, the humans are the good guys - they did nothing to provoke the attacks, they were just living their lives. Orcs are the invaders. I don't need "We're just misunderstoodCraft" - I want WARcraft.

This whole thing reeks of Metzen and his obsession to redeem orcs, for whatever reasons he has. HE invented the "bad" orcs, and for some bizarre reason, he can't just go with it. This is like Grom taking credit in WOD - it's just shit writing.

Tolkein's work stands to this day, because he set forth good vs. evil, with no excuses. Sauron was bad. Orcs were creatures of evil. He didn't set scenes with orcs probing their inner feelings about the war and their place in it - no, he set scenes where they fought each other like the evil scum they were. He didn't make big ass spiders "poor arachnids just trying to survive" - he made them EVIL. He didn't probe Suruman's past to find out that the reason why he betrayed man and elves is because his daddy hit him. He was just an evil, power hungry douchebag.

Metzen can't seem to do that, at least with orcs, it's his biggest failing. People don't go see movies like this to ponder the philosophies surrounding war, they just want fight scenes and cool graphics, an easy side to root for, and if possible - boobs. It's simple. Not "We're this bizarre race of wacky proportioned green skinned ogres who destroyed our own planet because our leader is a psychotic warlock whackadoodle, so we're invading another planet who's inhabitants are completely innocent, and killing them - but hey, at heart, we're really nice guys". Ugh. Fuck that.

And I thought the WOW books were bad...

Agree with the guy above, the orcs were evil in the beginning, period. As of Warcraft 3 they've started to move in a more humane direction because of Thrall, but this movie is not fucking Warcraft 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    WWII was definitely "good vs. evil". I'm sick of this "nobody is really bad" bullshit - bad people exist. Wars are fought for bad and evil reasons.
    Good and Evil are completely subjective. Our own culture sees ISIS as evil, while radical Muslims see it as good. Some people think Trump is evil, or Hilary is evil. Is any of this objectively true? No.

Evil is subjective because it is based on morals and malevolence. Those definitions differ from person to person. Morals are not something that are clearly defined. The Allies were just as evil as the Axis for numerous reasons during and post WW2. The difference is our history books glorify the winners and give leniency to any actions done by the victor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have to say, Warcraft movie was the best video game movie ever made. In fact, it was darn good. I have no idea why so many negative reviews. It doesn't deserve the criticism I see. The CG looks like from 2006, but otherwise well done.

And the best part is they stuck with the original story. No special movie version of the Warcraft Universe. I was like, no Medivh helped open the portal. And I did shed a tear a few times during the movie.

Here's hoping for a second movie and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    Good and Evil are completely subjective. Our own culture sees ISIS as evil, while radical Muslims see it as good. Some people think Trump is evil, or Hilary is evil. Is any of this objectively true? No.

Evil is subjective because it is based on morals and malevolence. Those definitions differ from person to person. Morals are not something that are clearly defined. The Allies were just as evil as the Axis for numerous reasons during and post WW2. The difference is our history books glorify the winners and give leniency to any actions done by the victor.
    It's a movie. It doesn't need to be complex and subtle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    I have to say, Warcraft movie was the best video game movie ever made. In fact, it was darn good. I have no idea why so many negative reviews. It doesn't deserve the criticism I see. The CG looks like from 2006, but otherwise well done.

And the best part is they stuck with the original story. No special movie version of the Warcraft Universe. I was like, no Medivh helped open the portal. And I did shed a tear a few times during the movie.

Here's hoping for a second movie and more.
    I never understood the cgi criticism. How can you tell it's from 2006? What makes it bad?
    I've seen it two times and I've honestly never thought "Boy this sure looks shitty".

It's a movie. It doesn't need to be complex and subtle.
    It was pretty damn blatant with 'Brown Orcs good, Green Orcs bad'. It doesn't mean the rest of the plot has to forgoe complexity and subtlety.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

WWII was definitely "good vs. evil". I'm sick of this "nobody is really bad" bullshit - bad people exist. Wars are fought for bad and evil reasons. And there is nothing wrong with writing a movie that sets up a definitive "bad side", it's done all the time. A fantasy movie is probably the worst vehicle to use to set up a redemption story - people want battles, blood, and heroes. In this story, the humans are the good guys - they did nothing to provoke the attacks, they were just living their lives. Orcs are the invaders. I don't need "We're just misunderstoodCraft" - I want WARcraft.

This whole thing reeks of Metzen and his obsession to redeem orcs, for whatever reasons he has. HE invented the "bad" orcs, and for some bizarre reason, he can't just go with it. This is like Grom taking credit in WOD - it's just shit writing.

Tolkein's work stands to this day, because he set forth good vs. evil, with no excuses. Sauron was bad. Orcs were creatures of evil. He didn't set scenes with orcs probing their inner feelings about the war and their place in it - no, he set scenes where they fought each other like the evil scum they were. He didn't make big ass spiders "poor arachnids just trying to survive" - he made them EVIL. He didn't probe Suruman's past to find out that the reason why he betrayed man and elves is because his daddy hit him. He was just an evil, power hungry douchebag.

Metzen can't seem to do that, at least with orcs, it's his biggest failing. People don't go see movies like this to ponder the philosophies surrounding war, they just want fight scenes and cool graphics, an easy side to root for, and if possible - boobs. It's simple. Not "We're this bizarre race of wacky proportioned green skinned ogres who destroyed our own planet because our leader is a psychotic warlock whackadoodle, so we're invading another planet who's inhabitants are completely innocent, and killing them - but hey, at heart, we're really nice guys". Ugh. Fuck that.

And I thought the WOW books were bad...
    Then really, Warcraft is not a fiction for you. Not since 2002 when they retconned the two first wars. You're more for a Tolkien kind of fantasy with absolute bad vs absolute evil . As a side note (I'm sure you already know this) much of Tolkien's works are based on WWII. I'm not saying Tolkien works are bad. I absolutely love him. I completely understand Tolkien's vision of war cause he suffered one and that is a fucking horrible experience . And is completely ok for you to prefer it over Warcraft. I like them both, knowing how different they are one from another. Warcraft is not so absolute as the Middle Earth was. It was in the beginning, with the first two games, but it deviated in WC3 and found a completely new way with the relativity of two grey sides.
    Don't take it personal.Peace.
    Last edited by Vitrino; 2016-06-19 at 07:58 PM.

Deleted
    The movie was "good". Deserves the 7.7 rating.
    Players are just used to awesome FMV cinematics of Blizzard and were expecting a full movie like that. It's just high expectations.

People who say Warcraft was a bad film haven't seen a lot of movies for sure.
    Last edited by mmocaf0660f03c; 2016-06-19 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitrino View Post
    No. They aren't evil they are misguided. Were german people of the first half of 20th century evil? . A big NO. They did evil things as a society because of misguiding leaders, but definitely as human beings the people of Germany were as good/bad as any other human in the world.
    You're borderline evil when you standby and watch mass genocide and go with "Well, our supreme leader Hitler said Jews are bad, so I'll take his word for it" So if you leader says your country is dying we need to go mass kill everyone in Switzerland for a new home", You're cool with that? I mean, no need to try and talk to them, no need to try and work any deals? Just go through a border(portal) and start slaughtering?

I never saw the big Infusng of Fel with them, I guess it was implied, as I was confused why so Orc died to Mediv and other didn't

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    Players are just used to awesome FMV cinematics of Blizzard and were expecting a full movie like that. It's just high expectations.

The movie at 37 million is a pretty huge flop in the US. There is no hand waving you can do to say the American movie goer had the wrong expectations for the film, if it was truly a 7.7, it would have at least tied the teenage ninja turtles or tied the Conjuring 2
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2016-06-19 at 08:12 PM.

To be honest I still get more excited watching the WoD cinematic than I ever did while watching the movie. Blizzard should have just made the movie themselves in cgi. Yes I know it's been said a thousand times, but they really should have.

10+ Year Old Account
    The movie has made another 24.5 over the weekend in China, bringing it up to 205Million there. Other territories add an additional 17.7 million.
    It's 377.6 worldwide now, so production costs are in by now (if you go by the times 2 rule).
    Too bad they spend so much on marketing that has proven to be totally inefficient.

Edit:
    http://deadline.com/2016/06/finding-...ts-1201775198/
    Forgot the source..

As a movie..it's pretty mediocre actually. I personally loved it because I am a huge fan of the Warcraft Universe...however there wasn't enough there for people who aren't a fan of the movie. I can absolutely see why critics are killing it. Some of the critics are a little overly harsh, but I think it's a mid to high 6. It's not a bad movie, but it's not that good either(simply as a movie on it's own).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RuneDK View Post
    As a movie..it's pretty mediocre actually. I personally loved it because I am a huge fan of the Warcraft Universe...however there wasn't enough there for people who aren't a fan of the movie. I can absolutely see why critics are killing it. Some of the critics are a little overly harsh, but I think it's a mid to high 6. It's not a bad movie, but it's not that good either(simply as a movie on it's own).
    6 is a rating for bad movies. No way! I loved a lot of parts like the introduction to the "boom stick", the "Garona and other Orc in the cell" or "Blackhand castration" dude...i loved a lot of parts.

But it's true that some things seemed odd like the King asking for Garona to...you know what And what @JustRob said about Gul'dan cheating and geting away with it but when was Lothar every Orc steped aside with Honor. It's a very strong scene but is sad the Orcs didn't give a fuck about Gul'dan cheating against another Orc but is OK with Lothar, a Human.

I know, maybe is because the Orcs just had to step aside and not actually kill Gul'dan. Then they were just asking him to respect the Honor code and tradition and not threatening to kill Gul'dan directly.

They were just asking to respect the code of honor and not threatening to kill him. I loved that whole scene.
    Last edited by mmocaf0660f03c; 2016-06-19 at 09:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    I never understood the cgi criticism. How can you tell it's from 2006? What makes it bad?
    I've seen it two times and I've honestly never thought "Boy this sure looks shitty".
    It's not shitty looking, but it looks too CG sometimes. The baby looked particularly too CG. The Orcs were well done, but that baby was just off. The griffon was also too CG. But these are minor complaints, and something you can't avoid totally when using CG. Very few 2016 movies that use CG you sit there and realize it, but Warcraft you can see it.

7+ Year Old Account
    So, it was a pretty good movie. I would say, that there was definently missing something in the story, because a lot of things were not explained. I don't really get why they had to have the cube in the movie, but i will let that slide. All in all, the movie was simply just entertaining. I was never bored, it looked really beautiful and the characters were a bit above mediocre. While some complain about CG, the movie used a colour pallet, which really hid away the CG effects, and by the end, i did not really notice too much of the orc CG. It simply just blended in and after some time, my head did not purposely notice it.

If i was to rate it, i would give it an 9 for WoW/Warcraft players, and an 8 for non-wow players. Saw it together with 2 non-playing friends, and they seem to like it, and i understood their arguments why they liked it, and why they maybe were not super happy about it.

All in all, good job Blizzard/Duncan/Legendary Pictures. It is hard to make a Warcraft movie with all the lore, but they made something, that is their own and it works fine on its own. Its not brilliant, but its not bad either.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RuneDK View Post
    I'm not understanding why it looks like a bad movie? The characters are well explained for 2 hour long movie, and you can understand the situation. I would give it a 8/10. If you like Lord of The Rings, then Warcraft should be right up there. And unlike LOTR, there isn't a lot of wasted time. My other complaint is the movie should have been 3 hours long, to fit more of the Warcraft story, cause there's a lot of Warcraft lore.

I saw this film finally last night. Admittedly, I was almost not going to go because the reviews were horrible and when they are THAT bad they are usually correct. However, I was surprised that I actually liked this film.

SPOILERS!

SPOILERS!!!!!

SPOILERS!!!

I often say that the way to write good fiction is to create interest characters and torture them for 300 pages. Well, they got the torture part down really well. Garona had one point where she faced a truly horrible decision and the actress did ok with it. She could have probably emoted a little better but she did ok. The actor who played Khadgar was given a scene where he had a tough choice to make in his life and faced his "bosses' as it were and he did really awful with it. A good actor would be able to emote how that situation was really edgy for his character but the actor could not pull it off at all. He also faced some scary entities and again failed to really sell me on how nightmarish it all was. Khadgar was really miscast.

Gul'dan could have been written a little better if they included a reason WHY he was doing what he was doing. WHY does not care for life and just wants rampant destruction without honor? Was there something in his past that made him this way or was he born like that? I think I would have included a flashback into his origins so audiences could "get" his character. I did like how the actor portrayed Gul'dan. He sold me well on his drive to invade Azeroth.

The actor who played Lothar failed to emote how much his son meant to him and the actor who played his son failed to emote how much he loved his father in that scene. That was a big problem and probably went a long way to earning his film poor marks from reviewers.

The frostwolf clan was played well and well acted.

I'm neutral on how Medivh was portrayed.

The story itself was very good. The Alliance won but it was hard-fought and costly and almost more of a cease fire until the next round. It felt like the Horde was a legitimate threat.

Pluses:

the story
    Garona
    Gul'dan
    The Frostwolf clan

Minuses:

Lothar
    Khadgar

Overall it was a good film.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

the "Garona and other Orc in the cell"
    Lol, those padlocks... Just gives you an idea where the money for CGI and prop were gone.