Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    I would agree with this if you also agreed to give up any kind of welfare and programs that come with having autism.
    I don't actually use any so go ahead

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GrinningMan View Post
    'do not make the cure mandatory' huh...

That sounds awfully snowflake-y.
    Not really. Considering the wide spectrum that is Autism there are people under that spectrum who are quite capable of being productive members of society, if allowed or given minor assistance in order to adapt socially.
    Last edited by Baelic; 2016-06-19 at 04:41 AM.

As long as I get to keep my intelligence, I'd take the cure.

Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post
    I don't actually use any so go ahead

- - - Updated - - -

Not really. Considering the wide spectrum that is Autism there are people under that spectrum who are quite capable of being productive members of society, if allowed or given minor assistance in order to adapt socially.
    And what better 'minor assistance' than a complete cure?
    You're not to think you are anything special. You're not to think you are as good as we are. You're not to think you are smarter than we are. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are. You're not to think you know more than we do. You're not to think you are more important than we are. You're not to think you are good at anything. You're not to laugh at us. You're not to think anyone cares about you. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Starquake View Post
    Come again?

You know there are vast differences between cancer (what ever type you're talking about) and autism, making an effective (global) treatment for either quite difficult at the moment, right?
    I'm just saying both have been solved a long ago.

Question whatever you take for granted.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeXan View Post
    I'm just saying both have been solved a long ago.
    Perhaps in another universe.

Again, there will never be a cure because autism is not a disease, it's a disorder, a disorder where the brain is literally shaped and functions differently.

It's like trying to cure albinism or dwarfism You could potentially find a way to stop or lessen any negative affects that autism may cause, but you could not cure it in the sense of eradicating it. Just like you can't cure albinism or gigantism in a person.

And what better 'minor assistance' than a complete cure?
    Because a complete cure will likely do more harm then good. Think about it for a moment. Any cure is going to end up changing the psychological profile of the person being "cured," you have no idea how they're going to adapt to new skill-sets they have otherwise learned to work around and you have no idea how those who are a part of their lives are going to react to what is effectively a new person.

To top it all off, there are actually some pretty well documented benefits to being Autistic, and since you're going to be messing with someones mental state it will seriously affect those benefits.

And to make this matter even MORE complicated. Given the nature of the Autistic spectrum there's no guarantee that the same cure will work on everyone, given the nature of the vast genetics involved and the link to other physiological side-effects (ex. Gut Bacteria).

TL-DR Version - Curing someone of being non-neural-typical makes them stop being who they are, and that's not always a good thing. This isn't something nearly as simple as having the flu or getting Cancer.
    Last edited by Baelic; 2016-06-20 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post
    Because a complete cure will likely do more harm then good. Think about it for a moment. Any cure is going to end up changing the psychological profile of the person being "cured," you have no idea how they're going to adapt to new skill-sets they have otherwise learned to work around and you have no idea how those who are a part of their lives are going to react to what is effectively a new person.

To top it all off, there are actually some pretty well documented benefits to being Autistic, and since you're going to be messing with someones mental state it will seriously affect those benefits.

And to make this matter even MORE complicated. Given the nature of the Autistic spectrum there's no guarantee that the same cure will work on everyone, given the nature of the vast genetics involved and the link to other physiological side-effects (ex. Gut Bacteria).

TL-DR Version - Curing someone of being non-neural-typical makes them stop being who they are, and that's not always a good thing. This isn't something nearly as simple as having the flu or getting Cancer.
    For every thing you bring up, I see less a reason to be afraid and more reason to usher this new age in. Even if it's only a theory, it's a wondrous one.
    You're not to think you are anything special. You're not to think you are as good as we are. You're not to think you are smarter than we are. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are. You're not to think you know more than we do. You're not to think you are more important than we are. You're not to think you are good at anything. You're not to laugh at us. You're not to think anyone cares about you. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

Perhaps in another universe.
    In this one, where people think for themselves and don't take the CDC for absolute and unique truth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    Banning smartphones and computers would be a cure too.
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeXan View Post
    In this one, where people think for themselves and don't take the CDC for absolute and unique truth.
    I've prepared my tinfoil hat. What's the cure, according to you?

Deleted
    For every thing you bring up, I see less a reason to be afraid and more reason to usher this new age in. Even if it's only a theory, it's a wondrous one.
    You wish to get rid of Rationally superior thinking beings?

Alright, then.

7+ Year Old Account
    Why would you want to cure a disease that some of the greatest scientists and mathematicians in history had? Albert Einstein, Isaac Newton, Kurt Godel, Maxwell Plank, Vincent Van Gogh, Edgar Allan Poe, John Milton, etc. A lot of great people displayed symptoms of autism. Which makes me think if autism is really a disease at all. I think autism is the brain evolving to be better at what society has selected for, high intelligence.

Suck on that OP.

I've prepared my tinfoil hat. What's the cure, according to you?
    Well giving that there are so many things that can wreck havoc on a kid nervous system and brain, all the way from all the stuff we use, chemical, endocrines disruptors, heavy metals. All these wreak havoc and attracts parasites and microbes, there's this lady who cured over 100 of case of autism with deworming them, no not African children, 1st world countries. Not every case of autism will necessary work by doing that but removing what cause the body to become ill will usually move the body to health, but none of these pharmaceutical do anything to remove the poisons in the bodies ofc everyone will say its BS and no scientific evidence but there is evidence, the medical field just doesn't acknowledge it and I probably need to be locked in an asylum for even daring mentioning such thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    You wish to get rid of Rationally superior thinking beings?

Alright, then.
    Being Autistic doesn't really equate being superior.

Why would you want to cure a disease that some of the greatest scientists and mathematicians in history had? Albert Einstein, Isaac Newton, Kurt Godel, Maxwell Plank, Vincent Van Gogh, Edgar Allan Poe, John Milton, etc. A lot of great people displayed symptoms of autism. Which makes me think if autism is really a disease at all. I think autism is the brain evolving to be better at what society has selected for, high intelligence.
    You're ignoring the negatives Autism people have to deal with.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post

You're ignoring the positives that Autism comes with. Like everything is life things come with both benefits and downsides.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post

I'd say having a higher intelligence leaves you as a Superior.

This is so utterly dumb. They aren't "curing" autism in this study. They are at best treating symptoms (which vary wildly for people like me. It's a spectrum for a reason.) My brain is literally wired differently and does not function the same. Unless they have a better understanding of the brain which we supposedly know little about, they haven't found a cure.

Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    I'd say having a higher intelligence leaves you as a Superior.
    Being autistic does not mean you are automatically smarter. I've seen other people bring up positives as well. For plenty of people, there really aren't any positives either. The idea that people here think it's a disease though makes me want to facedesk.
    Last edited by lazypeon100; 2016-06-20 at 03:59 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    If you don't answer at all you get a score of 0.

I got 16. *shrug* whatever that means guess I'm "normal"
    i didnt even submit the questions, i just got bored and closed the tab :P

Your gf comes running out of the bathroom in a towel.

"There's a spider in the bathtub!"

"Well stomp it, you weigh like 80,000 times more than it does."

Just autism things.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland