15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by karzal View Post
    It'll be the #1 movie based on a video game box-office wise (for sure after this weekend). I honestly think it's the best video game movie we've ever had, but that's more an opinion than it is a fact.
    Considering the list of the competition in that category, and the budget of this movie in comparison to said competition, I dunno if I'd call that one a win. That's about the equivalent of LeBron James taking a victory lap for beating a 6-year-old in one-on-one.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Unsurprisingly make the plot of Warcraft 1 into a two hour movie led to complications especially for the casual non-wow playing viewers they were trying to bring in. They explained absolutely nothing. We know most of what's going on and why we should care about our Azeroth, but this wasn't our Azeroth this was some Azeroth that got invaded by mostly brown orcs who acted like they still gave a shit about honor. The humans were similarly with a few exceptions the Kingdom of Generic. Most fantasy gets accused of giving to much exposition this gave almost none. It's beautiful but those are establishing shots. We don't see the peasants or their villages burned or otherwise and the orcs arguably have it worse. It's some of the most breathtaking affects work I've ever seen, but the expansion trailers have done a better job explaining the world and the stakes in a fraction of the time. Warcraft can do better than this.

P.S. Personally found both "heroic sacrifices" to be bullshit. There was no reason for them and they in atleast one case made things worse.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kage View Post
    Unsurprisingly make the plot of Warcraft 1 into a two hour movie led to complications especially for the casual non-wow playing viewers they were trying to bring in. They explained absolutely nothing. We know most of what's going on and why we should care about our Azeroth, but this wasn't our Azeroth this was some Azeroth that got invaded by mostly brown orcs who acted like they still gave a shit about honor. The humans were similarly with a few exceptions the Kingdom of Generic. Most fantasy gets accused of giving to much exposition this gave almost none. It's beautiful but those are establishing shots. We don't see the peasants or their villages burned or otherwise and the orcs arguably have it worse. It's some of the most breathtaking affects work I've ever seen, but the expansion trailers have done a better job explaining the world and the stakes in a fraction of the time. Warcraft can do better than this.

P.S. Personally found both "heroic sacrifices" to be bullshit. There was no reason for them and they in atleast one case made things worse.
    > 1 clan of brown orcs
    > Got invaded by mostly brown orcs

See, when you say shit like that, you destroy your own argument.

How do we know the marketing was $110m? Wasn't that just Vegas who came out with that?

Quote Originally Posted by SexyManipulator View Post
    Here's a nice lil comment I found by none other than Vegas82 (on RT):

"Don't listen to the user reviews unless you're already a fan of Warcraft or a die hard fan of high fantasy. The script is poorly written, most of the acting is terrible and the pacing is so bad a 2H movie felt closer to 3 hours. I'm a huge fan of Warcraft and have played the games going back to WC2. I wouldn't pay to see this movie again unless it was part of a pre-existing subscription(like HBO or Netflix). Save your money and go see one of the other 50 big budget films that is releasing this year."

So much for him wanting the film to be successful and urging anyone on here to convince their friends to go to the cinema. Hypocrisy as its highest.

- - - Updated - - -

It may not hit it at the box office, but it will most certainly overall. I mean they just signed an $18m distribution deal in China - add all other such deals (not as high of course) and DVD/BluRay sales and merchandise.

It's already near $400m, and has just opened in some markets, while in others it still have a couple of weeks to go.
    Perhaps Vegas82 is a relative of Snuke

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcotraz View Post
    Because GRRM & Rowling constantly, continuously retcon massive portions of their respective Universes to suit their ever-changing mindsets?

Metzen is the single most destructive force in the entire Warcraft Loreverse right now, him & his ridiculous agenda's.
    That is a really bad comparison. GRRM and Rowling release books in a single franchise which was thought up from the very getgo as a coherent story and then filled up with little details. There is no way you can establish a contradiction in either of their universes. The Warcraft universe, on the other hand, is an ever-evolving, unpredictable (up to something like 5 years) beast which has to be retconned from time to time if it's going to make any sense at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Snuke View Post
    You seem to be confused here. The issue is that Legendary isn't standing to make a profit currently(as a US company they 100% only get 25% of the Chinese box office). Their parent company is profiting because they also get a chunk of profit from the box office of their theaters in China. Legendary opened a studio in China that is the Chinese branch of their company. That studio would likely make a sequel at this point as the only country they're really making money in is China(yes a bunch of other smaller markets are experiencing a good reception, but the major markets are what matter to large films). Any such film likely wouldn't get a full domestic release as the theaters in the US and Canada have all lost money on showing Warcraft at this point. Because it's not being targeted at the markets it did poorly in(English speaking markets) it would therefor be targeted at the market it has actually been successful in(China). Everyone else would get dubbed or subbed versions of this sequel that would then star Chinese actors mostly(out of necessity as the film would be shot in Mandarin to appeal to their core audience). This isn't coming out of my ass, this is entirely based on comments from a man named Jeff Bock who is an industry analyst specifically relating to box office. I'm sorry that you don't like it, but I'm not just farting into the wind and thinking it smelled like roses because I'm standing next to a bush.

The reason I say a 100% Chinese production is because it would essentially be that. Yes, Blizzard would have input on story and things like that, but that's pre-production. Not production.

Only terrifying part here is that some people want a sequel to be made by same team that gave you the first one. They are just so satisfied with first one. Just make sequel happen!

Something to look forward too, eh?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tornwar View Post
    How do we know the marketing was $110m? Wasn't that just Vegas who came out with that?
    It was an article from deadline, where did they get this info idk and I wish that this isn't true.
    Some updates on last week's numbers
    Australia OW 3.3M( better than expected)
    Mexico est. OW 3.1M(a meh start, Nr.2 beaten by that fucking Conjuring that is on the second week, people saying it's not a popular genre)
    Korea(bad legs can end with only 10M$)
    I'll try to update China's box office daily on this thread(the numbers will be posted at 16.00 16.30 CET)
    I didn't expect such a big and shameful Flop in US the film will struggle to reach 50M, I wish that I'm wrong
    Last edited by mmoc193995c0cb; 2016-06-20 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jdbond592 View Post
    Only terrifying part here is that some people want a sequel to be made by same team that gave you the first one. They are just so satisfied with first one. Just make sequel happen!

Something to look forward too, eh?
    Yes, because this team managed to put something together that resonates as the Warcraft as most people know it? Sure, the story was altered, but for the better. The story is one from the early 90's, long before the story of Warcraft was of any importance other than having an excuse to have orc and human sprites fighting each other. It needed to be altered to be even remotely interesting, and being a movie and the first Warcraft movie at the same time, going greatly into detail of the events of RotH and such was not a valid option. This story basically fused the most important parts of RotH into the first war story. It resulted into a story that introduced the Warcraft world and at the same time showcased what Warcraft is about, two factions pitted against each other in war with good and bad on both sides.

Yes, the movie had flaws but those can be fixed and taken into account for a sequel, and honestly, what movie doesn't have flaws?

I mean, we've seen your suggestions what you would've done with this movie in several posts and it's just completely atrocious and shits all over what makes Warcraft interesting.

es, the movie had flaws but those can be fixed and taken into account for a sequel, and honestly, what movie doesn't have flaws?
    If I was guessing I don't think there will be a sequel.

1) The movie was a bomb on embarrassingly high epic levels here.
    2) The movie's second week and it's equally epic collapse was doubling embarrassing.

If they were to even think about a sequel its budget would be slashed badly to try and make up for the fact that the movie made no money at all. Based on how badly it did week two, one as too assume that the general word of mouth was the movie sucked and most people told anyone thinking about seeing week two to stay home.

The first movie was a bomb, only and only China saved from being ranked with the top bombs of all time. A second movie which will unarguably do worse then the first movie will be a very tough sell.

My guess is nobody wants to touch this pile and they are just thankful they got out of the first one by the skin on their teeth.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyattbw09 View Post
    If I was guessing I don't think there will be a sequel.

1) The movie was a bomb on embarrassingly high epic levels here.
    2) The movie's second week and it's equally epic collapse was doubling embarrassing.

If they were to even think about a sequel its budget would be slashed badly to try and make up for the fact that the movie made no money at all. Based on how badly it did week two, one as too assume that the general word of mouth was the movie sucked and most people told anyone thinking about seeing week two to stay home.

The first movie was a bomb, only and only China saved from being ranked with the top bombs of all time. A second movie which will unarguably do worse then the first movie will be a very tough sell.

My guess is nobody wants to touch this pile and they are just thankful they got out of the first one by the skin on their teeth.
    If you look from US perspective yes the film is a FLOP
    It did good in Europe not fantastic but good
    About the sequel doing worse or better, we still don't know because US just ignored WC driven by bad critic reviews, people might see it on tv and eventually some of them will like it
    It's a good game based movie and a good fantasy film and I think it deserves a sequel even if it's risky financially
    And the sequel might be only because China's growth
    Last edited by mmoc193995c0cb; 2016-06-20 at 12:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Warcraft currently has an 8.6 average user review on Metacritic after 1700+ reviews. That puts it just ahead of Civil War.

Out of users that have actually written reviews, 33 are mixed, 34 are negative, and 411 are positive.

I thought it was great for what it was. Obviously not 'Best Picture' fare, but certainly a solid movie. Almost more importantly, it felt like the team that made it really cared about how they treated the material, and the biggest problems the film had were based on how much they tried to accomplish.

I'm confident we'll get a sequel, because I'll bet that Blizzard is willing to lay at least some $$ on the line to see it happen. Even if the movie barely breaks even, it's a hell of a deal as a massive advertisement for the game, especially with Legion around the corner.
    indignantgoat.com/
    XBL: Indignant Goat | BattleTag: IndiGoat#1288 | SteamID: Indignant Goat[/B]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I said I want a sequel. I have also been very honest about my issues with the film. Get over it.
    I think your own words speak for themselves. You are a hypocrite as SexyManipulator stated and there is no other way to spin it.

So in various interviews Duncan Jones has said when he got the script he wrote more to the Horde and polished it. It was pretty much already completed when he got it. Seeing as Charles Leavitt is the other writer, I assume he wrote most of the alliance side. I can see why the Horde dialogue was better overall. Charles Leavitt's other writing is pretty terrible. His best is Blood Diamond which isn't even that great. I think they should probably not hire Leavitt at all if they do a sequel.
    Last edited by tangocash; 2016-06-20 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tangocash View Post
    So in various interviews Duncan Jones has said when he got the script he wrote more to the Horde and polished it. It was pretty much already completed when he got it. Seeing as Charles Leavitt is the other writer, I assume he wrote most of the alliance side. I can see why the Horde dialogue was better overall. Charles Leavitt's other writing is pretty terrible. His best is Blood Diamond which isn't even that great. I think they should probably not hire Leavitt at all if they do a sequel.
    So we can blame Charles Leavitt for the bad human actors? :P

Deleted
    We can't blame him for something that's not there. The human actors aren't bad. The worst thing was the dialogue. I don't think any amount of acting could save "bring peace between orcs and humans". The worst acting was a little stiffness from Cooper, but nothing more. Bad acting is much worse than what we got..
    Last edited by mmoc1f28493424; 2016-06-20 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snuke View Post
    Time for you to go check again. I joined this thread long before it had released. I just don't spend my entire life in it like some people apparently do... I'm just discussing things other people are bringing up at this point. And I'm sorry that I'm basing my analysis on actual evidence. I guess that makes me arrogant for not just basing it on my hopes and wishes like some in this thread.
    arrogant and condescending

Actors have only so much they can work with when it comes to a script, it's not like the human acting was bad it was the dialogue and not enough character development. They might have just cut a lot though. When King Llane is about to charge the orcs at the dark portal, he doesn't give a speech. He looks at the crucified Frostwolves and says "we're few then, CHARRGGGE" Maybe there was a speech they cut for time constraints.

Deleted
    China BO for Monday est. 3.5M$/208.2M$
    If this week will go like the last one we can see 225-230M$ at the end of current week