10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    oh no a movie flopped

who cares

i actually got a retard on one of my facebook groups asking if he should go see it. like, dude, man, it's a fuckin' movie. If you're bored and don't have shit to do, it's $10 to go watch. Get off your ass and go be pleasantly surprised or disappointed.
    This exactly this.. its entertaining.. just watch it.

Deleted
    I quite enjoyed the movie,.. seeing the wow community in the flesh was a total eye opener tho.. I mean.. dayum.

Deleted
    Don't think it flopped. It just wasn't that well received in the US and EU.

China however....

http://www.wired.com/2016/06/warcraf...-blockbusters/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquinan View Post
    YOu sticking by that 500mill number that doesnt seem to have any fact behind it?
    Yeah, I'm wondering where this came from. Most sources say that it was produced with a budget of $160m, so it's already been laughably profitable and, therefore, not even close to a flop.

Unless $340m was spent on marketing... Which I highly doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviemore View Post
    Yeah, I'm wondering where this came from. Most sources say that it was produced with a budget of $160m, so it's already been laughably profitable and, therefore, not even close to a flop.

Because theaters need their cut too. The studio doesn't get 100% of the ticket sales.

It's coming from actual Hollywood sources like Deadline Hollywood and The Hollywood Reporter, although I think THR reported $450 million to be in the black, and Deadline $500 million, so somewhere between $450-500 million.

So no, the movie is not profitable yet.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    It's coming from actual Hollywood sources like Deadline Hollywood and The Hollywood Reporter, although I think THR reported $450 million to be in the black, and Deadline $500 million, so somewhere between $450-500 million.

So no, the movie is not profitable yet.
    A link to sources?
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Because theaters need their cut too. The studio doesn't get 100% of the ticket sales.
    Who said they did?

I'm asking for legitimate sources to what the movie budget was; I'm comfortable getting an "all-in" number that includes that.

Oh, and passive-aggressive smiley incoming:

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    A link to sources?
    That's what I'd like.

Wikipedia gave the $160m number, but the citation looks pretty weak to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    A link to sources?
    That's what I'd like.

Wikipedia gave the $160m number, but the citation looks pretty weak to me.
    The $500 mil figure probably comes from here:

http://deadline.com/2016/06/warcraft...ce-1201770307/

(Search for this text: "Industry sources tell Deadline that breakeven is at $500M worldwide.")

I don't think this number should be taken as anything other than a wide guess, but it's completely unquestionable that (a) $160 mil production costs don't include advertisement (we might not get an exact number ever, but it would make sense to assume $50-$120 mil, yes, the range is this wide), and (b) the break-even point is far above production costs + advertisement, particularly with most of money coming from overseas where the percentage that the creators get is noticeably lower (a rule of thumb of 2x everything seems suitable). In sum, these two factors arrive at about the same $500 mil. To break even. (Sure, it might be "just" $400 mil, but you see what the big picture is.)

When its done in cinema and done with dvd and blu rays they will have enough not that they really care.

They have so big incomes from the games that it is probably a calculated loss they are ready to take the hit from, just to be able too show their world too the people ready to watch it.

More box office info from this week:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4199&p=.htm

$6.5M domestic and another $41.2M international. Total cume is just shy of $400M. Its second week domestic performance ranking it as one of the single worst performing movies in the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    More box office info from this week:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4199&p=.htm

$6.5M domestic and another $41.2M international. Total cume is just shy of $400M. Its second week domestic performance ranking it as one of the single worst performing movies in its second week in the last decade.
    Hopefully, they will swallow their pride, refrain from making sequels and just let this failure die.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    Hopefully, they will swallow their pride, refrain from making sequels and just let this failure die.
    WTH is going on? Was i the only one enjoying this movie...a lot?

WTF is wrong with people? The culprits must be the haters telling their friends that the movie is bad and not to see it.

It's a good movie to watch. I don't understand the hate.

I was wondering what effect the reception of the movie was having on ATVI stock. It doesn't seem to be negative, overall. Overwatch seems to be getting good press in the financial news.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

They would have stop making expansions of the same old game already.

Warcraft the middle is coming, like it or not, they made this movie with a clear mind of a sequel. It is about keeping the cash cow alive the most they can so maybe you get yet another expanson after legion on the same old plattform/engine/model.
    Last edited by kamil84; 2016-06-20 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    WTH is going on? Was i the only one enjoying this movie...a lot?

WTF is wrong with people? The culprits must be the haters telling their friends that the movie is bad and not to see it.

It's a good movie to watch. I don't understand the hate.
    According to the numbers, yes, you are a minority.

Quote Originally Posted by kamil84 View Post
    They would have stop making expansions of the same old game already.

Warcraft the middle is coming, like it or not, they made this movie with a clear mind of a sequel.
    Plans, and $5, will get you a cup of expensive brown water at Starbucks.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    I was wondering what effect the reception of the movie was having on ATVI stock. It doesn't seem to be negative, overall. Overwatch seems to be getting good press in the financial news.
    I think it is too early for the effect to materialize and its scale likely won't be large.

I think it is too early for the effect to materialize and its scale likely won't be large.
    I disagree. Stock markets are supposed to reflect changes in understanding of the future value of companies. The release of the movie gives information clarifying the value of the Warcraft IP, which should be immediately reflected in the stock price.

Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    Yeah, Batman V. Superman likely won't get a sequel either. Seeing as it was a critical dud. No way they will make a Justice league movie after clickbait articles decided they didn't like it as much as the avengers.
    BvS made $800m all told. Warcraft made $340m.

Still well over its money back though. And BvS had over a year of saturated domestic promotion, Warcraft had relatively little. In a year chock full of superhero movies. I hear it was all over China though, probably why the Dom/Int split is so stark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.