Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Overwatch stutter with 2+ chrome tabs playing video.

I havent tried a different browser yet (cause i generally love chrome) but when i have 2 or more twitch tabs open playing streams i get a weird stutter in overwatch. This isnt tied to CPU usage or memory (checked fine in task manager) so i cannot really explain it. Its also not a FPS hit, im pegged at 60 FPS the whole time with the in game meter. I guess my next step would be check a different browser but that wouldnt really be a fix as im so tied to using chrome at this point.

Anyone else notice this? Or am i the only weirdo who watches 2 or more streams while playing overwatch lol?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm by no means a computer wiz, but have you checked your ping? Perhaps it's connection based?

Ping is solid, i believe around 40 when checking with the in game tool.

Videos can be pretty demanding on your hardware. Depending on the quality and your hardware it can very well just be a limit on that end. Especially with 2 open at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Ping is solid, i believe around 40 when checking with the in game tool.
    i dont trust the ingame tool to much.
    sometimes i get some bad lagspikes and it doesnt even seem to register ingame. its really annoying.
    I like my coffe like my mages.

With one chrome tab playing video overwatch is smooth as butter, but the second i open a second tab playing video its gets the wierd choppyness happening. Opening consequent tabs does not make it worse. 10 twitch streams playing is same as 2, kinda odd.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aletuna View Post
    Videos can be pretty demanding on your hardware. Depending on the quality and your hardware it can very well just be a limit on that end. Especially with 2 open at the same time.
    Fully get that, but checking my task manager im no where near my memory cap and CPU usage is around or below 50% with overwatch going and two twitch streams. Could this be an internet bandwidth issue of some sort? I have a 60/5 connection thru charter spectrum. Really shouldnt be tho, even on source quality i think the max twitch can output is around 3Mbps.

If we're talking twitch streams it's because Twitch uses flash and flash is just bad... it likes eating ram and cpu useage.

Your useage doesn't always explain stuttering IE I have 16 GB of ram and flash eating 4 slows my whole pc down.

I havent tried a different browser yet (cause i generally love chrome) but when i have 2 or more twitch tabs open playing streams i get a weird stutter in overwatch. This isnt tied to CPU usage or memory (checked fine in task manager) so i cannot really explain it. Its also not a FPS hit, im pegged at 60 FPS the whole time with the in game meter. I guess my next step would be check a different browser but that wouldnt really be a fix as im so tied to using chrome at this point.

Anyone else notice this? Or am i the only weirdo who watches 2 or more streams while playing overwatch lol?
    I would suspect that gfx cards/drivers are optimized to accelerate at most one video at a time, when you start two or more maybe it uses resources from other parts of the hardware (such as the GPU parts thats driving your game).

It may also be some kind of VSYNC issue in conjunction with the above (as hardware accelerated videos are vsynced).

Twitch actually uses HTML now. As for the vsync comment ill try that later, i do use vsync cause i am still using a 60 hz monitor.

Deleted
    Twitch actually uses HTML now. As for the vsync comment ill try that later, i do use vsync cause i am still using a 60 hz monitor.
    Only the UI is actually HTML, the stream is still Flash. source
    Try with this website which entirely uses HTML5 instead of Twitch and let us know how it goes : http://streamhtml5.com/
    Last edited by mmoc1d5417e578; 2016-06-20 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paloqt View Post
    Only the UI is actually HTML, the stream is still Flash. source
    Try with this website which entirely uses HTML5 instead of Twitch and let us know how it goes : http://streamhtml5.com/
    I've been playing with flash lately and chrome seems to not play nicely with it with multiple streams going seems to just be a flaw in older software. That's more than likely the OPs problem. Also curiosity do you run Chrome Paloqt?

Deleted
    Lower the Twitch settings to medium, if it's on source the player will demand so much out of your GPU. I have a fairly beasty computer with a 980 and it slows it down a little bit with Twitch open in the background. The new 10xx range won't have this issue

Quote Originally Posted by nmityosaurus View Post
    Lower the Twitch settings to medium, if it's on source the player will demand so much out of your GPU. I have a fairly beasty computer with a 980 and it slows it down a little bit with Twitch open in the background. The new 10xx range won't have this issue
    Twitch doesn't tax the gpu very much, not how that works.

I got the same issues with Twitch stream + Games. Use Livestreamer instead, that takes care of it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kapaya View Post
    I got the same issues with Twitch stream + Games. Use Livestreamer instead, that takes care of it for me.
    On google chrome?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    Twitch doesn't tax the gpu very much, not how that works.
    Technically it does a bit But either way, it taxes your computer in general, normally leading to fps lag/stutter in games.

Technically it does a bit But either way, it taxes your computer in general, normally leading to fps lag/stutter in games.
    I didn't say it doesn't I said it wouldn't enough to cause your whole PC to slow down with 2 streams up, unless your pc is a potatoe. It's a flash issue i've been researching it lately.

Deleted
    I didn't say it doesn't I said it wouldn't enough to cause your whole PC to slow down with 2 streams up, unless your pc is a potatoe. It's a flash issue i've been researching it lately.
    I've had issues with Overwatch on my 980, 5690k and 16gb DD4 2133 RAM while running streams in the background. If the stream is on Source it demands a lot from your computer Overwatch isn't optimized amazingly, just on time for the 1070/1080 releases, doubt it's a coincidence.

I've had issues with Overwatch on my 980, 5690k and 16gb DD4 2133 RAM while running streams in the background. If the stream is on Source it demands a lot from your computer Overwatch isn't optimized amazingly, just on time for the 1070/1080 releases, doubt it's a coincidence.
    Just ran overwatch and a stream I noticed no large issues besides an odd amount of ram being used by flash. Tried the non flash stream worked fine normal ram useage.

Using a 6700k/970

Deleted
    Just ran overwatch and a stream I noticed no large issues besides an odd amount of ram being used by flash. Tried the non flash stream worked fine normal ram useage.

Using a 6700k/970
    Not uncommon to have a different effect depending on exact setup. I have a friend who has your build, 16gb DD4 ram again and he has the same issue. Also, the OP having the same issue It happens man.

We're not talking about a 20FPS drop, it's like 5-10, but enough to be noticeable. Games like Guild Wars 2 with ultra settings drop about 10-15 with max settings, where a game like WoW will see literally no drop. Going from 130-140 FPS down to 110'ish is surprisingly more noticeable than you would imagine, especially with animations like Pharah's rocket leaving the launcher.