Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Usually, how such advice is delivered. And even then, after a few games they might think and take it on board. It's not like telling someone who's only really put time into 2 or 3 characters is suddenly going to save the day by switching to someone they've never played before anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Regalbeast View Post
    Let's face it, most people have no clue how to play this game. It's a new game so that's understandable. Do I tell them that? No. I try to be nice in game so people don't troll.

But the reality is that most people aren't actively trying to get better at the game. They play their "favorite" hero and never switch. In fact, hero switching is something that most players really need to accept and work on. When I say, "Hey, I'm a healer so I can't switch but can someone counter that Bastion (or Widow, etc)" most people are like "you switch" or "stfu". Same thing goes with when I'm a support and ask the team to pick a tank, most people start flaming away or trolling.

Man, I sure do have a love/hate relationship with this game. I'm currently on a 10 game losing streak. I usually have at least 3 gold medals (not trying to toot my own horn) so I'm trying my best and playing well, but it's so frustrating because the game seems to be full of 90% incompetent people.
    Whines about people not switching, admits to not switching himself.. irony <3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    Whines about people not switching, admits to not switching himself.. irony <3
    *is only healer* "Hey, we need a tank"
    one of the three widows in the group: "You switch"
    *switches to tank* "Hey, we need a healer."

Let's face it, when it comes to online play, 99.99% of the players will NOT give constructive criticism.
    "if you just went left there you fucking n00b, then we'd win this round you fucktard!". That is what you get, most of the time.

Oh, had a thought, this is actually one of the reasons I want statistics for the whole team shown during the game, rather than just my own showing if I have medals in anything. It'd be helpful to have an indication as to what people are doing where I can't see them. I can, admittedly, judge somewhat on my own scores though. Like if I'm playing Mercy for example and in the first minute or two have done less than 1k healing and instead have 3-4 elims because I've had to repeatedly keep myself alive while my team goes in four different directions, yeah, I'm not gonna be very helpful as her and should switch to something else, which I generally do. But if we've a Widow and a Hanzo and I'm the one shooting turrets as Mercy... I'm gonna probably going to be mentioning that I'd probably do better healing than taking out turrets.

Deleted
    Let's face it, most people have no clue how to play this game. It's a new game so that's understandable. Do I tell them that? No. I try to be nice in game so people don't troll.

But the reality is that most people aren't actively trying to get better at the game. They play their "favorite" hero and never switch. In fact, hero switching is something that most players really need to accept and work on. When I say, "Hey, I'm a healer so I can't switch but can someone counter that Bastion (or Widow, etc)" most people are like "you switch" or "stfu". Same thing goes with when I'm a support and ask the team to pick a tank, most people start flaming away or trolling.

Man, I sure do have a love/hate relationship with this game. I'm currently on a 10 game losing streak. I usually have at least 3 gold medals (not trying to toot my own horn) so I'm trying my best and playing well, but it's so frustrating because the game seems to be full of 90% incompetent people.
    It does not matter if it is constructive criticism, people do not want to hear that all they want is a "Good Job!" no matter what they do.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    On that kind of note, the one thing I have zero patience for in Overwatch are the people saying "we need a healer/tank". This is largely because I have zero issue playing either, and will automatically fill that role out if we need it, so when I see someone playing a McCree or Reaper say this? Just no. YOU noticed the need. Swap yourself. If you're not willing to, you've got no business expecting anyone else to.

My willingness to do so means if I'm already playing tank or healer, and I've got nobody else filling that role, I WILL point it out. Happens really rarely. But I don't try and tell anyone to switch; I mention we've got no healer, and leave it at that. If nobody listens, I'll eat the loss and/or go Roadhog so I can self-heal while tanking, at least; I'm not going to spend the match whining about it and ruining 5 other people's game.

I run into this SUPER rarely, though. I probably heal or tank about half the games I play in, because the rest, both roles get filled by someone else.
    When I ask someone to roll a tank, and they say "YOU DO IT THEN". But I'm the only healer. :-/
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    This is pretty much exactly why I quit multiplayer games. You start out trying to help people
    Well, perhaps don't assume you're supposed to help people? That's where you're already going wrong. You can play multiplayer games just fine as long as you're able to not stick your nose into other people's business.

All constructive criticism and advice are lost in the context on the internet.

If you can't read a person and you can only read their words then the statement is up to your own interpretation.

And we all make mistakes.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Deleted

Sadly gold medals don't mean much if the end result is still a loss. I mean I can sit there on Soldier and do 17k damage a game if I unload into RH's shield, but that doesn't win the game. Also I can get 20 kills on the Tracer, but not once kill their entire frontline that's holding off our entire team. The only variable that remains consistent in games is you, just gotta think about what plays could have turned the match, which key kills you could have got that you didn't etc.

Never ever try to help or give advice or constructive comments in this game. You are either:
    A) Try hard
    B) Sore loser
    C) Elitist
    D) A A**h*le
    E) Some that needs to STFU
    F) Or the problem ( even if you have 5 golden medals :P and did 60% of you teams kills ) Because its never their fault.

Welcome to overwatch.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    It all depends in HOW you say it. "Most" people don't know how to express their opinion in a objective way.

"We need a Pharah to counter those two Junkrats!" =/= "Fucking widow change to pharah you noob". Also:

Eh I want a source on this <_<
    Nope....just nope.
    I have said it in the nicest way. Guy i think we need a healer i will go healer if you want. Could someone else take a tank please.....and still got a mouthfull after that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Usually, how such advice is delivered. And even then, after a few games they might think and take it on board. It's not like telling someone who's only really put time into 2 or 3 characters is suddenly going to save the day by switching to someone they've never played before anyway.
    Lol the last part...Then those people can not play the game. But if you are new. The switch is not noticeable you will be as good or bad as before. But if you have say 8 hours on per 3 characters and nothing more on anything else...Its says enough about how that person plays the game . They are usually the ones who get countered hard and keep going in with the "wrong" hero or play style because they can not switch.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacki Treehorn View Post
    Quick play is supposed to be the "casual" mode, however competitive mode is not live. This has many people going into quick play with a competitive mode mindset, while others are just having fun or trying to learn a specific character.
    Why does casual have to be equals to playing badly? Dos casual suddenly mean you don't want to win? That teamwork and playing e objective all of a sudden, for no reason, mean nothing? Is it not fun to play correctly? Is it fun to lose, having done nothing right and your team having nobody on the scoreboard after the game?

Be civil and people will try to follow your advice if it makes sense. If you call a Hanzo a noob fucktard for choosing another sniper class, when you would be better off with a tank, will not make him switch. He'll not listen to you, and may even in some cases sabotage by playing passively or sub-par just so you will also lose the game.
    Mother pus bucket!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nijigen View Post
    *is only healer* "Hey, we need a tank"
    one of the three widows in the group: "You switch"
    *switches to tank* "Hey, we need a healer."
    Yes this is very annoying. Especially, when you are number 6 to lock in your hero, and there is no tank or healer. Then you choose the tank to push the payload, and before the game even starts, someone starts spamming we need a healer. So you switch, then another one whines "we have no tank." So you mentioned that maybe double Hanzo isn't great on attack, and maybe one of them should play support or tank, and they just go "no you do it."

I have learned that it is best not to say anything in games, unless there's people that are friendly and cooperative in the first place. I have met a lot of nice players who, without any problem, would switch to what was needed but I also have ran into an enormous amount of douchebags who just bitch and moan about anything and everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by baskev View Post
    Lol the last part...Then those people can not play the game. But if you are new. The switch is not noticeable you will be as good or bad as before. But if you have say 8 hours on per 3 characters and nothing more on anything else...Its says enough about how that person plays the game . They are usually the ones who get countered hard and keep going in with the "wrong" hero or play style because they can not switch.
    Someone suggested we go all out Torbjorns. While I have decent experience with WM, S76, D.Va, Pharah, Reinhardt, Winston, Mercy, Tracer and Bastion; I haven't a fucking clue where to even begin with Torbjorn. I was hopeless and switched to Bastion.

Are you really suggesting everyone should put in an hour or two on every character before they can even begin to be considered able to "play the game"?
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2016-06-20 at 12:07 PM.

Someone suggested we go all out Torbjorns. While I have decent experience with WM, S76, D.Va, Pharah, Reinhardt, Winston, Mercy, Tracer and Bastion; I haven't a fucking clue where to even begin with Torbjorn. I was hopeless and switched to Bastion.

Are you really suggesting everyone should put in an hour or two on every character before they can even begin to be considered able to "play the game"?
    Nope....but that was not the part i was suggesting and what you where saying. You where saying only 3 characters. You list now is 9 long...that is 3 times larger. So your point is null and void. But still atleast having played 2 matches per hero is not a bad idea. You do not know or be able to play them good. But you no what your are facing then.
    And again if you would have said 9 or 7 hero's it would be fine you said 3!!!! That is like a average of a widow/hanzo/mcree player.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by baskev View Post
    Nope....but that was not the part i was suggesting and what you where saying. You where saying only 3 characters. You list now is 9 long...that is 3 times larger. So your point is null and void. But still atleast having played 2 matches per hero is not a bad idea. You do not know or be able to play them good. But you no what your are facing then.
    And again if you would have said 9 or 7 hero's it would be fine you said 3!!!! That is like a average of a widow/hanzo/mcree player.
    I started out with 3, WM, Pharah and Mercy; that covered most things. Asking me to go tank at that point would have been hopeless; it took me a good while after that (15-20 hours maybe?) before I moved on to try tanking and discovered once I'd figured D.Va out that she was in fact really fun. Sometimes for whatever reason characters might just not have an appeal or a player needs to learn a bit more of the ropes with someone they're comfortable with before they step outside the comfort zone.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    when I lose because some moron who can't understand the basic concepts of the game that even a novice should understand it makes the walls of my apartment bleed and the voice of a thousand tortured souls echo through the halls.
    Yeah, when you're approaching the situation as the person you're wanting to "help" being "some moron" and so on, it's pretty obvious that you're not actually wanting to help anyone, but rather tell them what you want them to do, and then proceed to basically play their game for them.

Unsolicited advice is bad enough, but at that point, it stops being advice, and I'm sure you being that frustrated, you don't even notice.

10+ Year Old Account

That's about the amount of different heroes I can play. Seems fine to me to be honest. I usually only play Zarya, Lucio, Mercy, Junkrat, Reinhardt, Symmetra, Roadhog or Winston. Since it almost never happens there's already a tank/support, I get to pick quite freely. I cannot play an offensive character for the life of me, maybe Pharah if I have to. Having said that I tested all heroes against AI.

When someone suggested to go all Tjorborns, I decided no thanks (I know how to play him just don't see the point of all Tjorborns) and so I went Zarya and stood on the objective while those turrets did there thing. There's really no situation where six torbjorns is remotely optional even though yeah it beats most groups in quick match because unorganized groups can't mount a solid attack.

Maybe they're just trying to have fun and not worry so much about a "perfect" setup to win. These arguments about people switching remind me of the adults at children's sports that are yelling and raging, completely obsessed with winning, instead of letting the kids just play and have fun.

Like others have said. Save it for competitive mode. If they're really that bad, they'll be down ranked till you won't get grouped with them. If you're actually good, that is.

Laggmonster lvl 28, 71 games won