Quote Originally Posted by Jibjub View Post
    May have been posted already, but this is trending on FB:

"Warcraft" has grossed more than $377 million since its release on June 10 to pass the 2010 action film "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time" as the top video game movie ever.
    They should add: "... maybe it will even eventually break even."

Why is this still a debate? In only 10 days the movie has made more than double it's production cost. Once you count ongoing box office sales, DVD & Streaming revenue, & merchandising, it will be well into the green. Warcraft the Movie II has likely already been green lit.

---------------------------------------------

On an unrelated note, after watching the movie, many of the "critic" reviews have me feeling like a genius. There were a good number of "main" characters, but not more than many other movies I've watched which I had no problem keeping with. Also, I brought my kids to the movie and my son who has planed War II and War III had no problem following (though granted he does have some inside info), my daughter hasn't played any of the RTS games or WoW and she had no problem following the plot of the movie.

Are we that smart? or are the critics that dumb? Maybe there's a mix of both...or maybe folks are looking for points to hate on? I dunno, just didn't seem like an overly complex plot nor did it seems like there was a giant cast. Game of Thrones had far more "main" characters in their first 60 minute episode, very few folks remember most of their names, yet I didn't hear anyone giving GoT a thumbs down due to it.

So in short, I agree with the vast majority of Warcraft movie watchers out there. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

That pleases me. Maybe I will get to see a sequel.
    Horseshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinan View Post
    YOu sticking by that 500mill number that doesnt seem to have any fact behind it?
    More facts than your made up number. Hell the fucking site you're posting on posted that number. Until you can source a number we'll be sticking to the facts, kthxbai

Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    Why is this still a debate? In only 10 days the movie has made more than double it's production cost. Once you count ongoing box office sales, DVD & Streaming revenue, & merchandising, it will be well into the green.
    Yeah, totally. It likely didn't even pay for itself quite yet. Read the thread. Such a success.

I will agree that it is the best Video Game to movie that I've seen. Maybe this will be enough to get a proper sequel.

Why is this still a debate? In only 10 days the movie has made more than double it's production cost. Once you count ongoing box office sales, DVD & Streaming revenue, & merchandising, it will be well into the green. Warcraft the Movie II has likely already been green lit.
    Mainly because the movie was a huge failure in the US and I'd say only so so good in Europe. China is carrying the movie from embarrassment and when was the last major movie that needed china to rescue it? Sure we can look at the raw numbers and say it's an Awesome movie, but when you look at the US, you can say that at least US audiences didn't care about it. ( and a healthy chunk of these forums posters are American)

We can dismiss the US audience all we want to help our argument that Warcraft is great. But few major films write off the US audience since the US is normally 1/3 of the income and with an 80% decline after the first week, Warcraft, even in China, has run it's course.

it is entirely possible that Warcraft completely redeems itself via DVD sales\rentals in the US. Guess we'll find out come this Christmas
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2016-06-20 at 04:18 PM.

Me and my friends had a great time watching the move, and afterwards we went and got pizza and talked about the "good ol days" of wow. Overall a great day!

Not to mention the movie made us all want to play wow really badly!! Which I'm guessing was a large intention of that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinan View Post
    As of June 19, 2016, Warcraft has grossed $37.7 million in North America and $339.9 million in other territories for a worldwide total of $377.6 million, against a budget of $160 million.[3] According to The Hollywood Reporter, the film needs to earn at least $450 million to break-even.

So 110 mill left to make from the rest of the theatre cycle and dvd/blue rays/
    I love how you guys are cheering it on and just hoping it gets to that 450-500 number. Guys! It will get there in dvd we're ok!! You're cheering on to BREAK EVEN. LOL. That's literally the best you can hope for. This movie made no money, even if it breaks even it is still a flop.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Streaming HD actually makes the pirating issue even worse since one of the main detractors for pirate movies is that a lot of people dislike watching a movie recorded by somebody's shitty phone. With a HD version of the movie readily available on the internet, the likelihood that version ends up on pirated websites (and therefore the incentive to pirate) escalates infinitely.
    It doesn't matter you can get an hd version non cam right now with chinese subs. It's been up for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Shudder View Post
    I love how you guys are cheering it on and just hoping it gets to that 450-500 number. Guys! It will get there in dvd we're ok!! You're cheering on to BREAK EVEN. LOL. That's literally the best you can hope for. This movie made no money, even if it breaks even it is still a flop.
    Cone on now! If it breaks even that's not a flop. For a video game to movie adaption with a fairly large budget, to break even at 450 million is pretty good achievement. Yes a bit of double standard, if Capt American only broke even that would just be a shame and considered a failure, Warcraft gets a little more leadway. To break even means it's highly likely we'll get a sequel and with that maybe they can take the lessons learned and make a real hit. My concerns is, if it left a bad taste in some people's mouth getting them to watch a sequel might be a hard sell.

I can't say I was disappointed with the movie, because I had low expectations and many of the trailers kept my expectations low. I thought it was a decent 5/10 movie. My hope is that the sequel can be a 7/10 or better.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    Yeah, totally. It likely didn't even pay for itself quite yet. Read the thread. Such a success.
    Sorry, having trouble hearing you. Someone just went by in a little flat bottom boat with their trolling motor on high. What were you saying?

Meh I thought it was a fun and enjoyable movie to watch.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06/...ie-of-all-time

Feeling like a complete jackass yet, OP?

Quote Originally Posted by Shudder View Post

- - - Updated - - -

It doesn't matter you can get an hd version non cam right now with chinese subs. It's been up for awhile.
    I wasn't referring to the Warcraft movie, but movies in general. And yeah, the Chinese sub rips are actually pretty prevalent on the torrent sites. I don't know if we're quite at the point where the movie industry needs to rethink its entire approach. Ticket sales are down this year, but every year prior to this has been record breaking.

Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post

hahaha don't worry about him anymore. He's banned. Although we still have around here and there a few haters.

Sorry, having trouble hearing you. Someone just went by in a little flat bottom boat with their trolling motor on high. What were you saying?
    I think he was telling you that if you bothered to read the thread, you probably wouldn't have jumped into it with a statement that shows you don't understand how the finance of films work. Which would have been helpful, if you weren't stood with your fingers in your ears saying "lalala, I'm not listening".
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post

Ugh. IGN. Really?

It's #17 when you factor in domestic take:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/...adaptation.htm

...which is hardly impressive. I understand that the movie climate is changing to be more worldwide but these articles are written with clickbait titles designed to rally fan support while ignoring very obvious detracting factors.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolus View Post
    After having seen the FX makeup and set pieces... I had serious reservations about Warcraft. I'm not surprised a bit about the final outcome.

They should have done a lot more with Garona's makeup. It looked like someone in bad Halloween paint.

My favorite part in the movie was this scene actually.

The guy all the way on the left? When he stands up he plants his sword in the ground and leans on it. You can tell it's a prop immediately because it starts to vibrate violently the second he puts any weight on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    I think he was telling you that if you bothered to read the thread, you probably wouldn't have jumped into it with a statement that shows you don't understand how the finance of films work. Which would have been helpful, if you weren't stood with your fingers in your ears saying "lalala, I'm not listening".
    hahahahaha.....

sorry, I guess I could have just wrote "lol" but I really dislike that trope.

Yeah, so I guess I'm not sure if you are trying to say that this thread is the definitive authority on movie finances...'cause it kinda sounds like that's what you are saying, or rather what the other dude is saying and you are explaining.

My retort would be that, "this is a gaming forums, so take any real life data contained within with a grain of salt". So like you know how people say wikipedia can't be trusted because 'sources' and what not? So MMO champ forums would be like that, except way less trustworthy. It's just gaming folks and their opinions.

But either way, I got a good chuckly out of your explaining that if I read this thread I would know how film finance works. Do you know if there are any good accounting or business management threads I could brush up on?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kainslife View Post
    My favorite part in the movie was this scene actually.

The guy all the way on the left? When he stands up he plants his sword in the ground and leans on it. You can tell it's a prop immediately because it starts to vibrate violently the second he puts any weight on it.
    I like bloopers too...probably not as much as you, but I do enjoy them - Like those "x number of Movie Mistakes" videos on youtube.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Ugh. IGN. Really?

It's #17 when you factor in domestic take:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/...adaptation.htm

...which is hardly impressive. I understand that the movie climate is changing to be more worldwide but these articles are written with clickbait titles designed to rally fan support while ignoring very obvious detracting factors.
    So if we ignore the fact that it's the number #1 most successful video game adaptation of all time, and only focus on the US box office sales for the first 10 days, it's not quite as impressive....got it.

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Actually, I think people with lore-knowledge like it less than "ignorant" people, due to the many lore differences..
    Yup! I kinda picked it apart after seeing it. My sister who doesn't play and the only thing she knows about Warcraft is it's a game that I play loved it. I mean I loved it too and will see it a few more times and then buy the Bluray but she liked it enough to see it again.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

So if we ignore the fact that it's the number #1 most successful video game adaptation of all time, and only focus on the US box office sales for the first 10 days, it's not quite as impressive....got it.
    Every single video game adaptation up to Warcraft has had its success measured by the domestic box office cume. When you use the same metric to measure this film's "success," it's anything but. Then you add onto that the fact that 2nd week performance in China was down nearly 80% and it begins to paint a picture that this film's "success" as described by this clickbait-titled IGN article isn't quite as self-evident.

But hey, go ahead and drink the Kool-Aid. I wanted the film to be successful but I'm not so blinded by my desire for it that I purposefully ignore very strong indicators that the film was not nearly as successful as it could have been. Or as successful as IGN articles written by the Buzzfeed staff would mistakenly lead you to believe.
    Last edited by Relapses; 2016-06-20 at 05:38 PM.