Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    "Hellooooooo! I want my 1000 bucks, or I'll shoot someone!!"

Sounds counter-productive.

By paying criminals not to commit crimes, one only encourages more people to become criminals so they can get some of that protection-money too.
    ~RAWR!

Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    Criminals are not less of people, and a lot of Crimes are related to Poverty issues.

People are not inherit violence-loving psychopaths.
    Not ALL people are , no.

According to what?
    You speak about the human rights of these scumbags, yet they had no respect for the human rights of their victims. Fuck them, let them rot.

Pretty sure I read of this happening somewhere in the US already and it actually worked.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kantalope View Post
    You speak about the human rights of these scumbags, yet they had no respect for the human rights of their victims. Fuck them, let them rot.
    The very idea of human rights is for it to be non-discriminatory.

Otherwise it's not a Human right...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sztyrymytyry View Post
    "Hellooooooo! I want my 1000 bucks, or I'll shoot someone!!"
    You are poor - So poor, that you cannot buy enough food or really cover all your bills - You live in a bad neighbourhood and the outlook of education is 0-0. Your life expectancy is higher in Jail, than it is on the streets. So you are forced to Sell drugs. You don't inheritly want to shoot people, cause you are not a flipping lunatic.

Getting money, would leave you with not needing to sell drugs.

Is this line of thought, so hard for you people to process?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Havik View Post
    Sounds counter-productive.

By paying criminals not to commit crimes, one only encourages more people to become criminals so they can get some of that protection-money too.
    Which has been disproved by actual found results in tests.

The line of thought is based on irrational fear, as not all Criminals are Criminals, just because there was "incentive" in form of "Free Choise".

You are poor - So poor, that you cannot buy enough food or really cover all your bills - You live in a bad neighbourhood and the outlook of education is 0-0. Your life expectancy is higher in Jail, than it is on the streets. So you are forced to Sell drugs. You don't inheritly want to shoot people, cause you are not a flipping lunatic.
    In an ideal world there wouldn't be any poor people. But in reality there are.
    So do you want to give every poor member of society money so that they don't commit crimes?
    How would you finance that?
    And who would do bad jobs in such a society when you get money for simply not commiting crimes and doing nothing else? Even the guy in the video said that those criminals he pays don't want jobs, they just want money.

Pilot program... ?

Ain't it called welfare already?

Deleted
    Wouldnt this entice people to get the criminal label so they get paid to not be criminals anymore?

I wonder what the minimum offense would have to be... I mean I guess I'd be up for a hatecrime... maybe grow some pot in the basement? .. oh no wait basement has too much humidity.. pot in the attic, yep that's my plan!

A bullet in the head of a murderer is even cheaper than all the stuff I see being talked about here. Just saying. Simple, cheap, and super effective. Won't have to worry about that person murdering ever again.

My issue here is just at the start of the video

Quote Originally Posted by Guy from the video
    Quite frankly they're not ready for a job and when you dig a little deeper they don't even want a job. They want money
    They wouldn't be paying people who wanted a chance at a different life but for whatever reason didn't get it. This seems to be aimed mostly at people who want easy money and now you have to bribe them to stop breaking the law.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzington View Post
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36552930

Pretty interesting video. Not sure how I feel about it. If it really does reduce crime significantly then maybe it's worth considering. But at the same time something about having to pay thugs to not be thugs seems abhorrent.

Thoughts?
    Probably cheaper than having to pay the police to deal with them or having to pay for possible damage they cause.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gombado View Post
    Wouldnt this entice people to get the criminal label so they get paid to not be criminals anymore?

I wonder what the minimum offense would have to be... I mean I guess I'd be up for a hatecrime... maybe grow some pot in the basement? .. oh no wait basement has too much humidity.. pot in the attic, yep that's my plan!
    No. Why would you? You'd get payed more not being a criminal and don't have that brand on you for the rest of your life. Don't be absurd.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    A bullet in the head of a murderer is even cheaper than all the stuff I see being talked about here. Just saying. Simple, cheap, and super effective. Won't have to worry about that person murdering ever again.
    Have you seen how many innocents that get convicted, and amongst them the number of innocents on death row? It's completely fucked up.
    Capital punishment is not effective and is not a deterent to crime and it will hurt the innocent.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    In an ideal world there wouldn't be any poor people. But in reality there are.
    So do you want to give every poor member of society money so that they don't commit crimes?
    How would you finance that?
    And who would do bad jobs in such a society when you get money for simply not commiting crimes and doing nothing else? Even the guy in the video said that those criminals he pays don't want jobs, they just want money.
    With Base Income becoming a more and more realistic goal, i could defenitly see that Crimes related to financial things, would decrease.

As for who would do jobs? People who want more money and purpose, of course. Have you ever lived on the system of just getting money?

It sounds romantic, but trust me, it really isn't.

Which has been disproved by actual found results in tests.
    Well, actually, no. No it hasn't been proven. The biggest counterargument, by the video's own admission, has been other analysts pointing out that crime had already been on the decline. So any data collected in such a non-sterile experimental environment should be taken with a grain of salt.

The line of thought is based on irrational fear, as not all Criminals are Criminals, just because there was "incentive" in form of "Free Choise".
    If people are not rational and making their decision to commit crime through free choice, then what makes you think they will be rational and choose to take the money over never committing another crime ever again? Some people may be so inclined to take the money AND continue their criminal activity.
    ~RAWR!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Havik View Post
    Well, actually, no. No it hasn't been proven. The biggest counterargument, by the video's own admission, has been other analysts pointing out that crime had already been on the decline. So any data collected in such a non-sterile experimental environment should be taken with a grain of salt.

If people are not rational and making their decision to commit crime through free choice, then what makes you think they will be rational and choose to take the money over never committing another crime ever again? Some people may be so inclined to take the money AND continue their criminal activity.
    Some would continue, but then they are irrelevant to this discussion ; cause they don't account for being the ones who would change.

Thus, the % of thoose who Continue is irrelevant, if the costs is LOWER in terms of paying criminals to not be criminal, comparedly to applying police force to said situations.

As long as you can GAIN, on the situation, it is still a better solution, comparedly to scrapping the whole idea because a Portion, might not be affected.

Some would continue, but then they are irrelevant to this discussion ; cause they don't account for being the ones who would change.

Thus, the % of thoose who Continue is irrelevant, if the costs is LOWER in terms of paying criminals to not be criminal, comparedly to applying police force to said situations.
    Nothing and no one is "irrelevant" in something as vast and complex as the scientific study of criminality and the effects of law-enforcement upon human behavior.

I must admit, I find this social experiment fascinating, if only out of curiosity concerning what will happen; But I doubt it will be sustainable in the long term.
    Last edited by Lord Havik; 2016-06-20 at 05:38 PM.
    ~RAWR!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    No. Why would you? You'd get payed more not being a criminal and don't have that brand on you for the rest of your life. Don't be absurd.
    - - - Updated - - -
    ehhhhhhhh, how would you get paid less if your salary is supplemented with a don't be a criminal fee?

Isn't the whole point of hugging criminals to make sure they get a job and function in society?

wait.. ARE YOU SAYING THIS WON'T WORK?!

According to what?
    According to if you hurt others for your own gain it makes you less worth to society than someone that do not

People are not inherit violence-loving psychopaths.
    I truly believe they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    That is loads of crap. You can't stop shooting if guy is mentally disordered. Also, "criminals want the money, they don't want the job". Everyone wants that.....
    At the moment I have a job so I can help people in my local community, and because i'd get bored and lose my fucking mind if I was at home 24/7. Not for money.