Page 1 of 2
LastLast

PlanetSide 1 And Legends Of Norrath To Close Down

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...-closing-down/

PlanetSide 1 and Legends of Norrath are closing down. This news comes from developers Daybreak Games Company, in two posts made on each game’s respective forum. It brings an end to two long-running games, as Planetside has been going since 2003 and Norrath since 2007.
    The Legends of Norrath post reads:
    Legends of Norrath has not had an active development team for quite some time and in the best interest of our company and players, we have made the difficult decision to close the servers on Wednesday, August 17, 2016 at Noon Pacific Time.

Purchasing Legends of Norrath booster packs and the monthly All Access Membership claim of Legends of Norrath booster packs will no longer be available after Monday, July 18, 2016 at 10AM Pacific Time.”
    While the PlanetSide 1 update says that:
    “On July 1st, at 4:00 PM PT, we will be closing the PlanetSide 1 server. PlanetSide 1 has a very important history with Daybreak Games and a special place in the hearts of those who work on its successor. While we have run the game for free since 2014, due to evolving business needs and technical requirements it has become necessary to conclude this service.”
    Which means the 1% are finally being released from duty.

I’m less familiar with Norrath – a CCG set in the EverQuest universe – but PlanetSide 1 will have been running for over 13 years at the time of its closure, which is a long time for any MMO. Although its demise seemed inevitable when it went free , it’s still a terrible shame for those who remain whenever an online world fizzles out. In this instance, Daybreak haven’t announced any grand ‘closing down’ events for either game.

Daybreak are the company formerly known as Sony Online Entertainment, who changed their name after being bought by a private equity group early last year. Since then they’ve undergone layoffs across the company in an attempt to make them profitable, including the departure of many key developers on PlanetSide 2.
    So what game is next on the Daybreak chopping block, I feel we will get a EQ1 announcement in the near future.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post

So what game is next on the Daybreak chopping block, I feel we will get a EQ1 announcement in the near future.
    DC Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Laubman View Post
    DC Universe.
    DC Universe will be the last game they shutdown. Good chance besides H1Z1 (Kill of the Hill) its there most popular IP and most active. Helps that DCUO is on ps3,ps4 and PC and just now released on XB1.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

DC Universe will be the last game they shutdown. Good chance besides H1Z1 (Kill of the Hill) its there most popular IP and most active. Helps that DCUO is on ps3,ps4 and PC and just now released on XB1.
    You got anything to back this up? Being on the most platforms does not mean it has the most players. I personally doubt it has more players then Planetside 2, and even doubt it has more active players then Everquest 1.

10+ Year Old Account

I doubt EQ1 will be taken down, since it's still making enough money to support the servers.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    You got anything to back this up? Being on the most platforms does not mean it has the most players. I personally doubt it has more players then Planetside 2, and even doubt it has more active players then Everquest 1.
    Nope I don't. But with the fact they decided to release it on XB1 shows it is doing well enough for them to dip resources into doing that.

Also with DC being a bigger IP then EQ and much newer ill bank that it has more players. Ps3 has over 80million systems sold and Ps4 is over 40 million. Even if its just 10% of those total numbers its still higher then the maybe 100k player EQ1.

But like I said no I don't have any hard numbers. no one does since Daybreak doesn't release them.

The more I think about it the more I think its the PvE side of H1Z1 that's next.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    I doubt EQ1 will be taken down, since it's still making enough money to support the servers.
    To be honest I am not surprised at anything Daybreak does. ill be the first to admit I hate the company since they shutdown the EQN project and decided to cut H1Z1 in half and sell each half for the original price.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-06-20 at 03:56 PM.

Nope I don't. But with the fact they decided to release it on XB1 shows it is doing well enough for them to dimp resources into doing that.

Also with DC being a bigger IP then EQ and much newer ill bank that it has more players. Ps3 has over 80million systems sold and Ps4 is over 40 million. Even if its just 10% of those total numbers its still higher then the maybe 100k player EQ1.

But like I said no I don't have any hard numbers. no one does since Daybreak doesn't release them.

The more I think about it the more I think its the PvE side of H1Z1 that's next.

- - - Updated - - -

To be honest I am not surprised at anything Daybreak does. ill be the first to admit I hate the company since they shutdown the EQN project and decided to cut H1Z1 in half and sell each half for the original price.
    Being released on XB1 was a give, DC Universe was a console game that happened to be on PC not the other way around. It was designed with the PS3 in mind, and PS3 controller in mind. It's an easy port to a system they just got access to.

The only other game they have they could port to XB1 is Planetside 2, and we see how long it took them to port it to PS4...

LMAO at you claiming 10% of PS3/PS4 sales totals are active players IN DC Universe, I can't believe you tried to come with that BS claim.

Being on the most platforms proves nothing, it's not like they could port Everquest 1 and 2 to consoles easily. Being the "bigger IP" means nothing, in the grand scheme of the world Marvel is a larger IP then any Moba so using your logic Marvel Hero's has the most active players of any moba? LOL.

So since you don't have hard numbers, you shouldn't make foolish claims that almost no one but you would predict.

LMAO at you claiming 10% of PS3/PS4 sales totals are active players IN DC Universe, I can't believe you tried to come with that BS claim.
    Yeah... Wording it as "even if it's just 10%" makes it sound like that's a low end estimate or something. Daybreak wishes it had 12 million DCUO players.

So since you don't have hard numbers, you shouldn't make foolish claims that almost no one but you would predict.
    Never passed off what I said as a fact I was stating a opinion.

See you should learn the difference in the two. The only thing I said that was fact was that DC as a IP is bigger then EQ1 and clearly its doing well enough to be released on another system.

Also to add DCUO is much much newer and fills a highly niche market (SuperHero MMO) while EQ1 is what 17 years old now and is one among many RPG MMO's?

Done replying to you tech because you clearly just want to argue with me like normal.

I stated a opinion added with a few facts (The ones I listed above) and even admitted to not knowing the pop size of EQ1 or DCUO. But if I was a betting man I put my money on DCUO having the higher pop even if its just by a little.

Edit: To add this isn't a thread about my opinion, Its a thread about what others think Daybreak will shutdown next.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Yeah... Wording it as "even if it's just 10%" makes it sound like that's a low end estimate or something. Daybreak wishes it had 12 million DCUO players.
    I don't know what Daybreak wishes they had since I am not them.

I wish for Daybreak to shutdown because they are a shit company, But that's my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Yea DC Universe has more players then The Last of Us sold on those consoles.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sad they shut down EQN, but at the same time, the company wasn't doing great financially, I'm not surprised they decided to cancel it... If they spent all that money and it failed the company would have been 100% fucked... They can't afford that risk right now...

They can always revive the project later when they are in a better place... they said the game they were making "wasn't fun" when they put the pieces together, so that would likely involve a complete redo.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2016-06-20 at 04:23 PM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

I'm sad they shut down EQN, but at the same time, the company wasn't doing great financially, I'm not surprised they decided to cancel it... If they spent all that money and it failed the company would have been 100% fucked... They can't afford that risk right now...

They can always revive it later when they are in a better place.
    I get EQN getting shutdown but at that point they should allow people to refund landmark.

What made me hate them was them cutting H1Z1 in half and selling each half for the original price. As soon as I heard that SoE was bought by a investment firm I knew things would change with the company. To add H1Z1 was originally suppost to be f2p and yet the game has been in early access for what 3 years now.

Ill be impressed if H1Z1 ever comes to ps4 or leaves early access. But ya like I said people should be able to refund landmark since it was sold on the promise that the content could make it in EQN.

Now its just Daybreaks version of minecraft.

- - - Updated - - -

they said the game they were making "wasn't fun" when they put the pieces together, so that would likely involve a complete redo.
    And before they said that they fired the AI team and cut the development team down by a lot.

10+ Year Old Account

And before they said that they fired the AI team and cut the development team down by a lot.
    The company was bleeding money at the time and EQN was a moneypit, I understand the decision.

10+ Year Old Account

Doubtful, the TL servers are raking in cash for them.

The company was bleeding money at the time and EQN was a moneypit, I understand the decision.
    Like I said I agree and totally understand the decision. Now let people refund Landmark since it was sold based on putting content in a game that is no longer happening.

My main issue is how they have treated H1Z1 and people not being able to refund landmark.

It was literally the only game actively supported that wasn't impacted by the layoffs when SOE became Daybreak (well, I think they may have lost one person) or any of the layoffs after that I remember, their recent Xbox One launch blew up servers for weeks due to its popularity, and it's been called out pretty regularly as their quiet success (primarily on consoles). Honestly, of all the games they have, DCUO is probably in the strongest/safest position right now.

On topic - meh, lots of folks got super upset but really...meh. LoN was only really played by folks who were looking for goodies in EQ, and never really took off. I'm surprised they kept it around for as long as they have. Planetside 1 had a solid 13 year run, which is pretty freaking impressive. The sequel, as polarizing as it's been, pretty much supplanted it and took all their staff/support from the legacy title, and while it was rad that they kept the first one around for so long (and it was free!) it didn't have much of an active community.

Sad whenever games close down, but Daybreak still needs to get their shit in order as a company and this is a sad part of the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It was literally the only game actively supported that wasn't impacted by the layoffs when SOE became Daybreak (well, I think they may have lost one person) or any of the layoffs after that I remember, their recent Xbox One launch blew up servers for weeks due to its popularity, and it's been called out pretty regularly as their quiet success (primarily on consoles). Honestly, of all the games they have, DCUO is probably in the strongest/safest position right now.
    So more hyperbole and no proof?

It being a success does not mean it has more active players then Everquest 1 and Planetside 2. Anyone that has played all 3 games recently can call the BS on that a mile away.

"Blowing up servers" More like their servers being shit, somehow world of tanks servers survive on Xbox One and do you think DCU is anywhere close to that in popularity?

Again citing it being ported to Xbox One means nothing. It's a console game that was easy to port. The rest of their library is not easy ports for consoles in the least.

So more hyperbole and no proof?
    Hyperbole? I mean, based on everything they've said and that's publicly available, the game seems to be the most stable MMO (proper) in their lineup. I don't think stating that it's probably safe from closure in the foreseeable future is "hyperbole".

Sadly, we don't have access to their data, and the last time they announced some big number was in 2014 with 18M registered accounts pre-PS4/Xbox One launch. Registered accounts is largely a marketing number without much relevance, so it's not worth bringing up. But all other indicators (again, probably the strongest being that of all the teams/games that had staff laid off during the Daybreak transition, DCUO was the only one that escaped without pretty significant layoffs) show the game continuing to be healthy and have a solid future (case in point the Xbox One launch blowing up their servers with demand).

It being a success does not mean it has more active players then Everquest 1 and Planetside 2. Anyone that has played all 3 games recently can call the BS on that a mile away.
    I'd have to hunt down to see if they've announced active players for any of those games, but I'd be willing to venture a guess that it has more than either game. Planetside 2 was hurting for a while and it's taken Daybreak some time over the past year or so to get it back on track (the most recent construction update to PC helped a ton). I'm sure it's doing well now, but given the fact that DCUO is out on PC, PS3, PS4, and now Xbox One as well, I'd feel pretty safe taking a best that it has more active players than either of those on average. And yes, I've played each of those games, though I've not played EQ1 for a while now so I'm not sure what its population is sitting at.

"Blowing up servers" More like their servers being shit, somehow world of tanks servers survive on Xbox One and do you think DCU is anywhere close to that in popularity?
    I've not the foggiest clue. But if anything, it indicates a far greater number of players than Daybreak anticipated, which is always a positive.

Again citing it being ported to Xbox One means nothing. It's a console game that was easy to port. The rest of their library is not easy ports for consoles in the least.
    It's evidence that the game is doing well enough to justify spending the money on ports to other platforms and that Daybreak believes there's enough of a market to be successful there. Will it be? Probably, but we don't know.

Though really, you're asking for proof without offering any up to back your posts either. Because we're arguing opinion based on very limited data, and that's fine.

And in general, cut the snark and rudeness when disagreeing with someone. It's not remotely productive and you've been hit for it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

It's evidence that the game is doing well enough to justify spending the money on ports to other platforms and that Daybreak believes there's enough of a market to be successful there. Will it be? Probably, but we don't know.

Though really, you're asking for proof without offering any up to back your posts either. Because we're arguing opinion based on very limited data, and that's fine.

And in general, cut the snark and rudeness when disagreeing with someone. It's not remotely productive and you've been hit for it before.
    Also like I said early'er I highly dough a 16 year old game has more players then a what 5 year old game.

DCUO also fills a niche market and that's the super hero MMO. Then like you and I said they ported it to the XB1. That isn't a easy snap of the finger and its done.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-06-20 at 09:29 PM.

Are they making anything at this point? It's like everything is being cut.