Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    For me it is not games specifically, it is the way games are pushed nowadays and the direction they are shifted in. The only games I am actually wanting to play now are No Man Sky (looks fun), Tekken 7 (fun couch multiplayer) and Legion (but I feel WoW will leave my interests during that expansion). The list used to be filled with MGS, Gears of War, GTA etc. Lots of big names that I really enjoyed in the past, if it keeps going this way I can actually see myself not investing in future consoles/parts for my PC and just stop gaming.

WOW: Wrath of the Lich King

I loved BC so much and had such high hopes for WOTLK.

Half the zones were bland and uninteresting to me. Most of the raids were just "meh". I just felt like a certain magic got lost somewhere. About halfway through I couldn't wait for it to end. Ulduar was the only redeeming thing about it to me.
    Retired WOW player
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy 14

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    I have black & white on disks still. Did not like the game at all...
    While the thrill was missing from Black & White... (mainly cuz everything felt so !@#$ing scripted....)

I think my main issue with it was that I'd had enough of the God Genre. I tried several entries into the genre before Black & White, and none of them really felt like they met the right balance of "replay value" and "goals". The heavy scripting and binary choices in black & white simply sealed the deal. Its hard to replay a game that BY ITS TITLE only has two choices. Cool idea though, and had it been more..... open.... I could have possibly enjoyed it more.

Bloodsail Admiral Grumpy Old Man's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Old school, eh...
    Doom 3 was a big letdown for me. Some people liked it but the "feel" of the game was totally wrong. Too much different from the previous, sprite-ridden ones.

The new Doom on the other hand... it seems now they've hit the nail on the head. Didn't test it yet tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    YouTubers are a plague. Fuck 'em. All of them.

Deleted
    age of conan wasted 50€ played for an hour and quited
    same i can say for guild wars :P

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    How do you get disappointed by Fanxanadu?!

Edit: And what's with the people saying Zelda 2? Jeez.
    I was a kid with a cart and no idea what I was doing!

Deleted
    Hype is in your own head, and if you control it, you'll be disappointed a lot less often. I've been playing games of all kinds for some three decades or something, and I've not found a single game that would've made me "question" all future games. Why should there even be such a thing?

Deleted
    For me it was Doom 3, a lovely looking tech demo that just wasn't Doom

I'm fairly sure that was the last time I paid full price on day of release for anything, although have chipped into a few Kickstarters for a few of old school RPG's

10+ Year Old Account
    For me it wasn't really a specific game that made me question the future of games it was the introduction of DLC and digital games especially the ones that require an internet connection to play. The business has become so corrupt over the years because of DLC and digital shit. No longer does the industry feel like it's made up of passionate game developers who made creative games not just for the money but because they loved to do it. Now it's become more of a business where it's become all about money and how much can they possibly make from you. Instead of making full games they'll release a half done game and thanks to DLC they'll leave the rest for later and call them "expansion packs". Some even lock out multiplayer modes from you and make you pay for them. So now we can't even have multiplayer come with the game. DLC has made it so easy for developers these days to cut corners and take advantage of the customers. Like with Mass Effect 3 and locking out certain parts of the game and calling it DLC when it was supposed to be part of the core game. They even got called out on their bullshit. I guess you can say Mass Effect 3 was the game that made me question the future of games,

Then there's the digital games. Now I have become more welcoming of digital games but the ones that require you to be constantly connected to the internet is what I find to be annoying. I see it as nothing but a greedy business. On PS4 and Xbone in order to play these games you are required to subscribe to their online services and pay even more money just to play the damn thing. So lets see here, not only does it cost $60 for the game but you also have to pay $15-$60 more for the subscription, $300-$400 for the actual console, and don't forget about your internet bill too. It's seriously ridiculous. Not only that but what happens when the servers go down for whatever reason? Now you spent $60 for a game you can't even play now as well as the subscription. There is absolutely NO fucking reason for games on console to be online only I don't care what excuse you cook up. It's nothing but a shitty way of making money. They'll say it's the future of gaming but how is restricting the game like that the future? Wouldn't the future have more options? More freedom with games? Online only games on console are complete bullshit.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2016-06-20 at 03:19 PM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Quite a few actually;

- Doom 3 ; guess it's pretty obvious.
    - WarHammer Online ; Paul Barnett had such pretty talks about the game.. Yet it sucked so god damn much.
    - Guild Wars 2; The 'dynamic' quest system was fun at first, until you find out everything is on scheduled timers and it's not so dynamic at all. Also the game is quite a big damn grind compared to what they were going for. I still login to this day trying to get into it, but something just sucks about this game.
    - WoD ; nothing to say about this really.. It's just bad.
    Draenor EU: Archavious - Level 120 Warlock ; Loaen - Level 120 Demon Hunter ; Arathia - Level 120 Paladin ; Mitosis - Level 110 Priest ; Toreck - Level 110 Hunter ; Aeralinde - Level 110 Mage ; Crikey - Level 110 Warrior

Bloodsail Admiral Grumpy Old Man's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dwightyo39 View Post
    I liked Zelda 2 even though I wasn't any good at it. Then again, I really like Mario 2.
    Wow, found someone else who likes Mario 2.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    +5 for the edgelords who spew off games like E.T and such when they probably weren't even around for it release, let alone the "hype" or the ones who name off every massively popular game from the last 4-5 years xD
    I was around the time of E.T. Atari game release. I wasn't pumped nor hyped, since I live on a 3rd world country, so no big news on Atari games (especially in the 80s), plus I was just a kid at the time.

But I remember very well the impact of the E.T. movie during my childhood. Then a friend managed to get a cartridge of the game for Atari. We expected the game to be at least exciting, since the movie was so good - heck, we were kids back then. We loved the movie. Then we put the cartridge on the Atari, turned it on, then...
    ...well, you all can read in several sites and see for yourselves on youtube how is the gameplay. The game's totally broken. It's unplayable. No, let me be fair - it's actually playable, it's just boring as hell. I remember we wasted a good 30 minutes or so trying to figure the game out, since we could not accept "THE" E.T. game could actually be bad. In the end, we just accepted it... and played something else.

But since there were no hype for me in this case, I didn't cite it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    YouTubers are a plague. Fuck 'em. All of them.

Guild Wars 2...Just... Guild Wars 2

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Hey,

Was noticing lately a few threads/discussion about how pre-ordering games and being excited for upcoming games in general is a bad idea and I agree with this sentiment. Gaming in general is quite a unique business and an expensive one that needs to cover costs at the end of the day and its easy to get lost in the world of marketing and talented designers over hyping their products.

For me it was the game Fable on xbox 1 and also Jade Empire on xbox 1 that made me realize its silly to get lost in the grandeur of gaming and promises from the developers that made me look at all future games differently and its better expect less and then be surprised if it turns out well.

Thoughts?
    To be honest. If you really taking old school games ( wich is in my vision pre 1995). Like pre 90's....my youth....Then there was little to no hype at all. Games where previewed by real professional gamers/reviewers and not by modern day hipsters. And allot of the game selling depended on word of mouth. But if you ask me what is the one gaming thing that was really shit....but hyped like crazy. nintedo's virtua boy or power glove...damm wasted money on that

Damm i feel old btw. is see people using titles witch are not that old...fable, diablo 3, C & C 4, brink, halo......

People old school is PRE !!!! playstation, nintendo 64 era ( AT-LEAST). So PRE 1995 !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by baskev View Post
    To be honest. If you really taking old school games ( wich is in my vision pre 1995). Like pre 90's....my youth....Then there was little to no hype at all. Games where previewed by real professional gamers/reviewers and not by modern day hipsters. And allot of the game selling depended on word of mouth. But if you ask me what is the one gaming thing that was really shit....but hyped like crazy. nintedo's virtua boy or power glove...damm wasted money on that

Damm i feel old btw. is see people using titles witch are not that old...fable, diablo 3, C & C 4, brink, halo......

People old school is PRE !!!! playstation, nintendo 64 era ( AT-LEAST). So PRE 1995 !!!!
    Yeah, kind of have to agree with that. Games weren't "hyped" back in the old days, because even being a gamer back then meant you were a nerd...it's not exactly something you would talk to other people about, save for your mutual friends.

Deleted
    Well... I think Black & White wins the title.

The game didn't work as promised at all. The creature teaching was a freaking pain in the ass and very inconsistent.
    You could literally slap the shit out of that ape when it did something bad and it would still do it if you didn't look at it 24/7.

Everything else I remember is rather recent (2010+)
    Colonial Marines for example. That game did not only get massive graphical downgrades, the gameplay was freaking horrible too and the trailer used "in-game" scenes and events, that were not in the game.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2016-06-20 at 09:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fable 1. Wasn't even a matter of hype, just bold-faced lies.

"Plant a tree and watch it grow as you go through the game."

That's all it took to remove my naive ignorance and instill a foundation of skepticism and bullshit detection.

Every game before that had no impact simply because I didn't read about them before they came out. I would see the title for a new game or a sequel coming out, say "cool!" and be done with it. I was blissfully ignorant.

Guild Wars 2

I absolutely loved the tone and atmosphere of the original game and so I had high hopes for the sequel especially with the lofty promises that the developers were making in their marketing manifesto. They bragged about all the neat things they'd be adding to the game over time right up until shortly after launch...and then it became obvious that they had been lying all along. I lost interest - especially when I realised they'd defiled a lot of the neat lore from the original game to shoehorn in new playable races.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fable 2 was another one.

So much hype ruined by a ridiculous amount of bugs, some of which were very common and would ruin your save (to the point where you can't progress). It still annoys me that it took me 7 characters just to get through the game.

Rift..without a doubt.

Cataclysm, wod, diablo 3