Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

WoD premise is doesnt make sense

Garrosh goes back in time to Draenor age, creating alternate timeline. In this timeline orc clans form "iron horde", their mission is to conquer azeroth of the "original" universe. This doesnt really make sense since if they build portal in this alternate universe, the portal will lead to alternate Azeroth, not the one players are in, so the original Azeroth was never in danger of orc invasion. The whole premise of expansion doesnt make sense, unless somehow the portal built in alternate universe leads to Azeroth in original universe.

Quote Originally Posted by SandMax View Post
    Garrosh goes back in time to Draenor age, creating alternate timeline. In this timeline orc clans form "iron horde", their mission is to conquer azeroth of the "original" universe. This doesnt really make sense since if they build portal in this alternate universe, the portal will lead to alternate Azeroth, not the one players are in, so the original Azeroth was never in danger of orc invasion. The whole premise of expansion doesnt make sense, unless somehow the portal built in alternate universe leads to Azeroth in original universe.
    It was stated a bazillion times that, despite being in an alternate universe, they specifically linked their Dark Portal to our main universe Azeroth.

Garrosh didn't create the alternate timeline Kairoz took him to an alternate time line that was just different enough that he could take control. And with the portal they set it up to take them to OA rather than AA. Think of it as a Stargate from the Series Stargate. One Stargate can take you to anywhere you want to any other Stargate as long as you set up the right Chevrons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phinx View Post
    It was stated a bazillion times that, despite being in an alternate universe, they specifically linked their Dark Portal to our main universe Azeroth.
    On his specific point, you are correct and he is wrong.

On the more general point that WOD's premise didn't make sense...well let's be honest, it didn't, did it?

By setting it in an alternate universe (and having to continually explain the premise to their audience...not a sign that the audience is too dumb to grasp the story but more a sign the premise was was too convoluted to really work) they completely undercut any sense of investment we had in that world.

The premise was salvageable had the follow story up worked, but it REALLY didn't and in the end they could have had had some random demon rez Gul'Dan on the timeless isle and we'd be where we are now in Legion. Nothing that happened on Draenor has had a true impact on Azeroth.

Frankly, look at the bright side. We can pretend the entire excursion to the worst expansion ever never happened.

It was fucking nonsense made up to tie into the movie.

Not only was the portal able to connect to an alt universe it was able to do time travel as well since they didn't go to our universe at the time period that they were in. The story is so bad so if they can go anywhere at anytime why would they come here? Because garrosh said "hey can you kill these people thanks" lol?

Quote Originally Posted by Radaney View Post
    It was fucking nonsense made up to tie into the movie.
    Look boys, someone bagging on the movie who's never seen it!
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Boogums View Post
    Look boys, someone bagging on the movie who's never seen it!
    I wasn't bagging on the movie, I was bagging on WoD. I have seen the movie and I enjoyed the movie.

How wrong can you even make and understand a comment? My comment wasn't even hard to understand, it was 11 simple words long.

Then you just somehow presume I haven't seen the movie, for no reason either even if I did bag on the movie in my comment.

Idiots never fail to impress.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2016-06-20 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Radaney View Post
    I wasn't bagging on the movie, I was bagging on WoD. I have seen the movie and I enjoyed the movie.

How wrong can you even make and understand a comment? My comment wasn't even hard to understand, it was 11 simple words long.

Then you just somehow presume I haven't seen the movie, for no reason either even if I did bag on the movie in my comment.

Idiots never fail to impress.
    Ok, in that case, what tie in was made, exactly? I've seen the movie thrice and there is not a single "Warlords of Draenor" tie in *or* easter egg.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogums View Post
    Ok, in that case, what tie in was made, exactly? I've seen the movie thrice and there is not a single "Warlords of Draenor" tie in *or* easter egg.
    The only one I can make a case for is that the characters that represent the warlords use their WoD design in the movie, where they are shown. And it seems an awfully weak connection to make that claim, to me.
    Last edited by Lakrin; 2016-06-20 at 07:39 PM.

Problem with this timeline theory is, that reason why we went to Draenor was the orc invasion from portal, so we went further back in time to prevent the invasion from happening in the first place. But when we did that, the orcs never invaded and thus we never had reason to go to Draenor to begin with, creating a paradox. If this doesnt break the universe, it atleast means that the origina player characters and lore character who timetravelled to Draenor alternate universe, would never have left and when we came back, there would be two copies of same characters.
    Last edited by SandMax; 2016-06-20 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakrin View Post
    The only one I can make a case for is that the characters that represent the warlords use their WoD design in the movie, where they are shown. And it seems an awfully week connection to make that claim, to me.
    To be fair, his DAE HATE WARLERD OF DRAEN0R WROST EXPAC EVAR GG argument is much weaker, as well. And since that's pretty much the only point of owning an account on MMO-Champion, it's pretty obvious why somebody would feel this way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium

Problem with this timeline theory is, that reason why we went to Draenor was the orc invasion from portal, so we went further back in time to prevent the invasion from happening in the first place. But when we did that, the orcs never invaded and thus we never had reason to go to Draenor to begin with, creating a paradox.
    Except there's no paradox because the invasion we prevented occurred in an *alternative* timeline with no bearing on ours at all. In this timeline Rul'kan is alive, Ner'zhul falls to the Void instead of being captured by Kil'jaeden, Garrosh was never born, Gul'dan failed to rally the clans into the Horde (until much later in Tanaan), and innumerable other minor changes that existed well before either Kairoz, Garrosh, or we had any influence in the universe's events. Despite stopping both Grom's Iron Horde and Gul'dan's nascent Fel Horde it doesn't change anything about our timeline - Outland is still Outland, and everything that happened from Warcraft I until now still happened just as before. We've changed the relative of WoD's universe B immensely, sure, but it doesn't do anything to change our primary universe A.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

The only reason for the expansion was to bring back Gul'dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Except there's no paradox because the invasion we prevented occurred in an *alternative* timeline with no bearing on ours at all. In this timeline Rul'kan is alive, Ner'zhul falls to the Void instead of being captured by Kil'jaeden, Garrosh was never born, Gul'dan failed to rally the clans into the Horde (until much later in Tanaan), and innumerable other minor changes that existed well before either Kairoz, Garrosh, or we had any influence in the universe's events. Despite stopping both Grom's Iron Horde and Gul'dan's nascent Fel Horde it doesn't change anything about our timeline - Outland is still Outland, and everything that happened from Warcraft I until now still happened just as before. We've changed the relative of WoD's universe B immensely, sure, but it doesn't do anything to change our primary universe A.
    But we went to Draenor because of the orc invasion from portal, we stopped that from happening so events leading to this timetravel didnt happen at all = paradox

Quote Originally Posted by Lakrin View Post
    The only one I can make a case for is that the characters that represent the warlords use their WoD design in the movie, where they are shown. And it seems an awfully week connection to make that claim, to me.
    You're definitely right in that its's a weak connection. Their character design doesn't really mean anything because they were characters that didn't have designs previously (except for Grom who has always looked like that.) Pre-WoD Bladefist had a standard red orc model and nothing unique. Blizzard did use this time to go back and flesh out the Warlords and give them actual character design, but that doesn't mean their design is a "warlords" design. If we actually went back in time in our universe, these Warlords would look like how they did in WoD.

But we went to Draenor because of the orc invasion from portal, we stopped that from happening so events leading to this timetravel didnt happen at all = paradox
    We didn't go back further in time to stop the invasion before it happened. Garrosh invaded from past Draenor to present Azeroth, and we immediately went through to stop the invasion as it was happening.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    We didn't go back further in time to stop the invasion before it happened. Garrosh invaded from past Draenor to present Azeroth, and we immediately went through to stop the invasion as it was happening.
    Then the image is incorrect.

Deleted
    This picture explains it all:

Deleted
    The expansion didnt make sense to me either.

We destoyed the dark portal in the opening quest chain and somehow we get resources over to draenor.
    You can say Khadgar opened portals to our world, but how did he make cross universe portals?
    Same goes for the portals in ashran.

I have never been a fan of time travel though the dungeons are one thing a whole expansion didnt make much sense in my eyes.