Deleted

I don't like how tier promotions/demotions are handled on new ranked system

Here's the deal. You're 23 points away from promotion. You win. You get 197 points. However, only 23 of those actually matter. The rest are fully wasted.
    You now have to play a promotion match still to get to next tier. Sounds fair enough, does it not?

Yet, what if you lose it? Well then you don't go to previous 977/1000, of course not, if you lose you lose 190-200 points, so you get to 800-810/1000.
    Let's say you lose a full 200 points. Now you're 800/1000. You win the next game, but due to one player being lower ranking you only get 198 points. Now you're 998/1000. Your next game, even if won, will be only for 2 ranking points. That's bullshit because in this case by winning 2 games with similarly ranked people you'd only get 200 points and still be able to lose all of that in a single loss. 2 wins = 1 loss in this case.

But let's see the demotion part as well, shall we? You have 25/1000 points at... Gold 5 let's say. You lose your game and lose 200 points. OR WAIT! Actually you only lose 25 points since the other 175 don't matter whatsoever. But nevertheless, you get to your demotion match, and win it. You get 200 points, you're now 200/1000. So by losing 1 game and winning one game with similar ranked players, you actually win 175 points.

But wait, there's more! In a perfect world, you're only matched with similarly ranked people, but then... you also get people doing their placement matches in your teams. How are these given to the teams? No clue, but from what I saw it's a total randomness as you can get amazing players or players that are so bad it's unbelievable, so it makes you wonder if these placement matches people are given based on their previous ranks or just a random die roll.

Overall, I think the tier promotions/demotions favour the people close to losing their tier and defavour the people trying to gain a tier. And I don't like that.
    What do you think?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well losing a tier is more demoralizing and more likely to quit than not gaining a tier. I do think they should stockpile the amount of points you gained or lost and factor it in if you win or lose.

So, like you said, if you're 25 points away from promoting, you win a game and get 200 points and then lose your promotion match and lose 210 points, then you'd need 35 points to get back to your promotions. Same thing with demotions. And if you get demoted or promoted it should take those stockpiled positive and negative points and add or subtract them when you go to your next rank.

10+ Year Old Account
    Climbing should be hard and unforgiving IMO.

But i do like SC2 ranked system much more than LoL one, dunno why they made this change. Every win and loss should be exactly that - win or a loss. With this system, sometimes "win" is more of a "win" (when you lack 197 and get exactly 197 points), or loss is way more than a loss (when you lack 1 point to get into qualifier, then get kicked out of it)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    But wait, there's more! In a perfect world, you're only matched with similarly ranked people, but then... you also get people doing their placement matches in your teams. How are these given to the teams? No clue, but from what I saw it's a total randomness as you can get amazing players or players that are so bad it's unbelievable, so it makes you wonder if these placement matches people are given based on their previous ranks or just a random die roll.
    I always giggle when people say that. You literally judge a persons capabilities by playing a single game with him. It's literally gearscore level of dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Well losing a tier is more demoralizing and more likely to quit than not gaining a tier. I do think they should stockpile the amount of points you gained or lost and factor it in if you win or lose.

So, like you said, if you're 25 points away from promoting, you win a game and get 200 points and then lose your promotion match and lose 210 points, then you'd need 35 points to get back to your promotions. Same thing with demotions. And if you get demoted or promoted it should take those stockpiled positive and negative points and add or subtract them when you go to your next rank.
    Exactly this. Honestly, I don't like this new system. Not sure why they made it like this.

The way I see it, and please correct me if I'm wrong:

Bronze - rank 35-40
    Silver - rank 30-34
    Gold - rank 25-29
    Platinum - rank 15-24
    Diamond - rank 5-14
    Master - rank 1-4

Seem about right?

Quote Originally Posted by Demona3 View Post

Bronze - rank 30-50
    Silver - rank 20-29
    Gold - rank 10-19
    Platinum - rank 5-10
    Diamond - rank 2-4
    Master - rank 1
    I adjusted the numbers according to my perception. I could be wrong. Most preseason Rank 30s that I am seeing (including myself) are in bronze division. Heck, Im at Bronze Division 4 right now. (ended preseason at R31; best was R30)

Not a fan of promotion matches either. But I don't see any other solution either. The grind is real though. Lets say you start at rock bottom.You will get to master if you have a win streak of 30 matches. A loss sets you back about 2-3 games, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    I always giggle when people say that. You literally judge a persons capabilities by playing a single game with him. It's literally gearscore level of dumb.
    Yeah bad games happen a lot. Sometimes you end up in another game with a player and they do really well. Most of the bad plays seem to happen when players are out of their comfort picks.
    Last edited by ttak82; 2016-06-20 at 05:08 AM. Reason: added colors to quote

10+ Year Old Account
    Master - rank 1-4

Seem about right?
    I've ended up in rank 3 and i disagree completely. Rank 3 is somewhat platinum-diamond-ish (huge stretch here) level of play. Climbing in old system was way too forgiving. I could easily get to rank 1 if i spent more time than 7 games per week and i don't see myself as a great player.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Deleted
    Exactly this. Honestly, I don't like this new system. Not sure why they made it like this.

Bronze - rank 35-40
    Silver - rank 30-34
    Gold - rank 25-29
    Platinum - rank 15-24
    Diamond - rank 5-14
    Master - rank 1-4

Seem about right?
    Distribution in the end should be

Bronze - rank 41-50
    Silver - rank 31-40
    Gold - rank 21-30
    Platinum - rank 11-20
    Diamond - rank 1(lower half)-10
    Master - rank 1(upper half)

Since you didn't lose points in the old system in the 41-50 bracket, those were basically the people who stopped playing eventually. Remains to be seen how it will be handled in Bronze. As ttak indicated and as - I think - it was done in Starcraft II people get ranked a bit lower in the beginning of the season in order to have a bit more people advance than stagnate or regress.

edit:
    Above numbers are under the assumption Bronze will be a "dead league" like ranks 41-50 used to be, a place where you can climb out by simply playing games even if you are terribad. (the HotS preseason model)

If Bronze is to remain a league filled with active players (the Starcraft model), the numbers rather look like this:

Bronze - rank 33-50
    Silver - rank 25-32
    Gold - rank 17-24
    Platinum - rank 9-16
    Diamond - rank 1(lower half)-8
    Master - rank 1(upper half)

When looking at ingame activity, keep in mind that higher rank players are likely to play more games/season and are less likely to quit for the rest of the season or quit completely. This will lead to the perception that the game is top-heavy again.
    Last edited by mmocabce60bc47; 2016-06-20 at 05:21 AM.

If it works like in the previous season, your behind-the-scenes MMR should still go up if you win. That should get you bonus points on your next win to raise your rank to it's correct level to correspond with your MMR. Unless they completely changed something regarding that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    If it works like in the previous season, your behind-the-scenes MMR should still go up if you win. That should get you bonus points on your next win to raise your rank to it's correct level to correspond with your MMR. Unless they completely changed something regarding that.
    I'm currently silver 2 and keep losing the promotion matches because of the people I'm matched with. So far, every promotion game I've gotten has had that 1 person who decides to lane or completely ignore the objectives and we lose because of it. I am seeing the "bonus" points from the mmr favored thing though, when we do win.

I am seeing the "bonus" points from the mmr favored thing though, when we do win.
    So the extra points you gain to reach a promotion match aren't truly lost, just delayed.

So the extra points you gain to reach a promotion match aren't truly lost, just delayed.
    I don't think so, mainly because as I said, I lose the promotion match, but I still need 200 again or so to get back to the promotion match. It doesn't seem like it sticks. Lost the promotion game yet again (we had a DC) and I went down 203 points. I feel like I can't win today, or get ahead. /headdesk

Deleted
    I read this in the news: "In an effort to make our new ranked play system as fair as possible while remaining intensely competitive, only players whose ranks are within one league tier will be able to queue together as a party in Hero League matches."

Does that mean you can now queue with 2-3 friends again, and not just solo, duo and full team?

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    I read this in the news: "In an effort to make our new ranked play system as fair as possible while remaining intensely competitive, only players whose ranks are within one league tier will be able to queue together as a party in Hero League matches."

Does that mean you can now queue with 2-3 friends again, and not just solo, duo and full team?
    Solo and duo only for now.

Solo and duo only for now.
    I think they should finally change it back to 4 with this new ranking system since you can't group more than 1 tier.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think they should finally change it back to 4 with this new ranking system since you can't group more than 1 tier.
    You can easily pick up a 4th and 5th if you join any crowded chat channel. While at the opposite it would fuck over HL even more it's terrible enough it was allowed in the first place unless it gets hard locked to 4v4 and so forth. Which you won't agree to since people that want to queue with 4 want an edge that's the whole point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post

No but thats why they implented unranked. Much like HL but without the climb.

Deleted
    Have yet to play ranked... Won'T play till I'have played all heroes on the upcoming event. I don't think draft makes sense before.

I got placed Silver 4, and spent my first 15 or so games losing and winning alternate games so I was right back at square one.

Now my last three games were with unfathomably terrible players, so it's about to flush me out to Silver 5. Like, I can't believe how bad these people are. Last one lost to a team that picked Nova. They just walked into her every single time. I went back to QM, and got matched with far better players. What the fuck? Is this what LoL players call Elo Hell?

Trying to rank solo is a nightmare, I need to find people to play with or something. Otherwise I'm just going to quit. Your ability to "carry" a game in HoTS is very low so you probably wind up with optimistically a 55% win rate even if you're great, regardless of how low you're ranked. It would take forever to climb like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wanted try get as well did rankeds but...

Team league is not possible because most of my friends is playing overwatch or afking.

Hero league is like an cancer. No way go forward. I stick on Silver 2, close get demote into Silver 3.

And for TL i miss only two placements, but writing on chat. "LF team league" Don't work.

*Walks into corner of sadness and shame*

Oh and i agree with Mormolyce. I played lately unranked drafts and won two games in row now.