Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    What's this got to do with critical thinking?

1) I enjoyed the movie
    2) The movie is doing well financially, so it's likely they will make sequels that I enjoy.
    3) Why should I care about anything else regarding the statistics of this movie?
    This.

And don't forget that Critcs' Reviews are entertainment, so they have to kick things up a notch to gain readership.

15+ Year Old Account
    I am really tired of shitposts (or whatever you call threads that are meant to rile people up) like this. The movie Warcraft was great and very ground breaking in the tech that helped make it (i.e. the "Haircraft" tech that made CGI hair so lifelike.) The movie pushed the boundaries of movie making into uncharted waters that make it very unique among the movie that are out there. Yes, Avatar pioneered some of the tech in the movie, but Warcraft took that tech and turned it on its head, making a much more believable movie. And yes, I know there are haters and idiots out there that just want to rile people up with their opinions (just remember that opinions are like a$$holes and most stink), but I think those people can just take a flying leap off a cliff and leave a great movie to those of us who appreciate the great work that Blizzard and Legendary did to make it. I can't wait for the next chapter to come out

Cheers

What's this got to do with critical thinking?

1) I enjoyed the movie
    2) The movie is doing well financially, so it's likely they will make sequels that I enjoy.
    3) Why should I care about anything else regarding the statistics of this movie?
    Point 2 is where I issue caution. You read sensationalist articles like that IGN one and you might lead yourself to believe a sequel is 100% certain. The reality of the situation is far more complicated and much like other films with planned sequels which performed better abroad than domestically, will likely remain in development hell if they're ever even considered to be made at all.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Point 2 is where I issue caution. You read sensationalist articles like that IGN one and you might lead yourself to believe a sequel is 100% certain. The reality of the situation is far more complicated and much like other films with planned sequels which performed better abroad than domestically, will likely remain in development hell if they're ever even considered to be made at all.
    What's with all the "caution"? I'm not financially vested in this movie beyond the $10 I paid for the ticket - and IMO, that was $10 well spent. I'd love to see a sequel, but if they don't make it, I...don't...care (sorry, trying to stress that point because I still don't think you get it). There's no caution needed, 'cause I won't lose any sleep if the Warcraft movie flopped.

It will make however much money it makes. I'm sure it's a big deal to the people who spent the money on the movie and the people who used said money. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it be successful, but that's just the type of person I am. Unless you are a bad/evil person, I want to see you succeed. That said, if they don't, I'll just watch some other movie. There are tons of them out there.

What's with all the "caution"? I'm not financially vested in this movie beyond the $10 I paid for the ticket - and IMO, that was $10 well spent. I'd love to see a sequel, but if they don't make it, I...don't...care (sorry, trying to stress that point because I still don't think you get it). There's no caution needed, 'cause I won't lose any sleep if the Warcraft movie flopped.

It will make however much money it makes. I'm sure it's a big deal to the people who spent the money on the movie and the people who used said money. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it be successful, but that's just the type of person I am. Unless you are a bad/evil person, I want to see you succeed. That said, if they don't, I'll just watch some other movie. There are tons of them out there.
    Look dude, all I'm asking is for fans to be a bit more open-minded in their approach of handling this movie's purported success. The film is not yet in the green and I dislike when people greatly misinterpret data to come to a forgone conclusion about its legacy. The likelihood of a Warcraft universe of films is far less guaranteed than what that shitty IGN article may lead people to believe. I don't want people to work themselves up over this film as the inevitable drop off should sequels never be greenlit. This news is much easier to swallow if your interpretations of the film's success aren't set unrealistically.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Look dude, all I'm asking is for fans to be a bit more open-minded in their approach of handling this movie's purported success. The film is not yet in the green and I dislike when people greatly misinterpret data to come to a forgone conclusion about its legacy. The likelihood of a Warcraft universe of films is far less guaranteed than what that shitty IGN article may lead people to believe. I don't want people to work themselves up over this film as the inevitable drop off should sequels never be greenlit. This news is much easier to swallow if your interpretations of the film's success aren't set unrealistically.
    Yeah, but I don't think many of us care much about it's success. For one you have the fact that the movie will easily top the 450M mark needed to start making a profit, but even if it didn't, it wouldn't hurt me. The reason most of us are posting in this thread is because you have a few [insert your diminutive insult of choice here] people are crying "it's a flop!!" regardless of the fact that it's made more money than any other movie of it's genre ever, and that fans give it an 82% rating, which is 2nd highest in the top 10 movies currently. If it's a flop, then 90% of big budget movies are flops, and if 90% of big budget movies are flops, then the term "flop" is meaningless, which makes this entire thread moot (which I'm sure some will say was the case regardless).

That's all we are trying to say.

It is a fun movie to watch.

It's doing well at the box office.

Before it's done making money, the investors will see a return.

It's all good.

I'll be OK. You'll be OK, We'll all be OK. None of us have to worry about how good the movie will be. We will all be OK regardless.

It is a fun movie to watch.
    Your opinion, and you are more than welcome to it.

It's doing well at the box office.
    No, it isn't. It hasn't even broken even yet.

Before it's done making money, the investors will see a return.
    First you have a go at other people in this thread making things up, then you use your psychic powers to predict how much money it will make? It hasn't made money yet, but if you can see the future that well, can you tell me next week's lottery numbers? Just me, mind you, I don't want everyone else winning as well.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Your opinion, and you are more than welcome to it.
    Thank you for giving me your permission

It doesn't have to.

First you have a go at other people in this thread making things up, then you use your psychic powers to predict how much money it will make? It hasn't made money yet, but if you can see the future that well, can you tell me next week's lottery numbers? Just me, mind you, I don't want everyone else winning as well.
    Unfortunately I cannot tell you next weeks winning numbers. Believe it or not, I'm not clairvoyant. I was just been able to ascertain that Warcraft will be profitable, but truth be told, it wasn't that difficult. 10 days worth of box office sales and some very simple napkin math where all that was needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Just got done reading an article that's claiming Wanda is inflating the Chinese box office for their film(box office fraud). I don't know if it'll ever be proven, but very interesting read.
    Chinese people...fraud? Nah. That'd never happen.

By the way, was this the article you read?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaqwert View Post
    I have read several articles predicting a sequel solely as a Chinese release, which given the numbers would make sense.

I'm sure it'd get like a DVD release in the states.
    That would be pretty unusual and unlikely. If we get a sequel, it will most likely get the same worldwide release as the original.

I started visiting Rottentomatoes recently when deciding to buy movies since I go every Tuesday to get new releases and I sometimes buy poop movies.

Man, they rate movies HORRIBLY. Almost Every movie I enjoyed had a terrible Critic rating.

All the movies they rated decent/high put me to sleep.

I don't know what the hell metric they use to rate movies but it's terrible.

Maybe I'm weird but I watch a movie to be entertained not look for every single little mistake.

I've decided to completely ignore that site.

It doesn't have to.
    It doesn't have to make money? That's your response? Because of course people that make films just LOVE it when they lose money on the deal. I honestly don't know how to respond to this.

Unfortunately I cannot tell you next weeks winning numbers. Believe it or not, I'm not clairvoyant. I was just been able to ascertain that Warcraft will be profitable, but truth be told, it wasn't that difficult. 10 days worth of box office sales and some very simple napkin math where all that was needed.
    It was released in China (you know, that place where it made the bulk of the money) 17 days ago. So your "napkin maths" would appear to be a bit suspect. Still, as long as people don't mind if it makes money, it doesn't matter if it ends up profitable or not, does it?

I swear, this forum is a never-ending font of hilarity.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

It was released in China 17 days ago
    It was released on 8th June.12 days ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair, I mean if you look at a lot of movies coming out now they don't do much better in the US because frankly it costs too damn much to go to the movies when you can wait to rent it on redbox or Netflix and well face it...........a ton of people just pirate it because they are assbags.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    Right now, sitting at a disastrous score in RT. It begs the question to what Blizzard was thinking with this shit again.

What was the point?
    Ummmm flop I think not! In fact as this clip explains there is enough success for a squeal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-nSNmAG990

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Nope, it was this article. It's in Chinese though...
    Well, my google translate did its best but I couldn't really comprehend much of it. Still, interesting.

It doesn't have to make money? That's your response?
    Nope, that's not my response.

It was released in China (you know, that place where it made the bulk of the money) 17 days ago. So your "napkin maths" would appear to be a bit suspect. Still, as long as people don't mind if it makes money, it doesn't matter if it ends up profitable or not, does it?
    I would suspect very few sane (if any) folks would be ambivalent to losing money on an investment. I hope that clears it up for you.

Nope, that's not my response.
    Can you tell us what your response is, because...

It doesn't have to.
    ...is pretty hard to interpret any other way.

hahahahaha.....

sorry, I guess I could have just wrote "lol" but I really dislike that trope.

Yeah, so I guess I'm not sure if you are trying to say that this thread is the definitive authority on movie finances...'cause it kinda sounds like that's what you are saying, or rather what the other dude is saying and you are explaining.

My retort would be that, "this is a gaming forums, so take any real life data contained within with a grain of salt". So like you know how people say wikipedia can't be trusted because 'sources' and what not? So MMO champ forums would be like that, except way less trustworthy. It's just gaming folks and their opinions.

But either way, I got a good chuckly out of your explaining that if I read this thread I would know how film finance works. Do you know if there are any good accounting or business management threads I could brush up on?

- - - Updated - - -

I like bloopers too...probably not as much as you, but I do enjoy them - Like those "x number of Movie Mistakes" videos on youtube.

- - - Updated - - -

So if we ignore the fact that it's the number #1 most successful video game adaptation of all time, and only focus on the US box office sales for the first 10 days, it's not quite as impressive....got it.
    Saying it's the best video game movie is quite laughable. Desperately trying to cling to anything positive. Video game movies are horrible, being the best of the worst type of movie isn't an accomplishment. It's like a turd that has a roasted honey smell to it. It's still just a turd.

Quote Originally Posted by Shudder View Post
    I love how you guys are cheering it on and just hoping it gets to that 450-500 number. Guys! It will get there in dvd we're ok!! You're cheering on to BREAK EVEN. LOL. That's literally the best you can hope for. This movie made no money, even if it breaks even it is still a flop.
    No a flop would be it loosing money, if it breaks even, that is not a flop.

Quote Originally Posted by Shudder View Post
    More facts than your made up number. Hell the fucking site you're posting on posted that number. Until you can source a number we'll be sticking to the facts, kthxbai
    The numbers i pulled were from wikipedia which were referenced from Box Office Mojo....sooo thats is a source dumbass.