Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deloctyte View Post
    WoD's alternate timeline had one interesting potential: Since it wasn't in the main timeline, we could have lost for once.
    It became part of the main timeline when Kairoz traveled to it. If we lost there the Iron Horde or the Legion would have came through the dark portal to invade Azeroth. However it was set up to be a little bit of a failure. We didn't stop Gul'dan. And he helped the Legion come to Azeroth in the new expansion. They still could have have set it up with us being routed from Draenor but it would require two expansions worth of the same bad guys or likely a terrible story transition.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    It became part of the main timeline when Kairoz traveled to it. If we lost there the Iron Horde or the Legion would have came through the dark portal to invade Azeroth. However it was set up to be a little bit of a failure. We didn't stop Gul'dan. And he helped the Legion come to Azeroth in the new expansion. They still could have have set it up with us being routed from Draenor but it would require two expansions worth of the same bad guys or likely a terrible story transition.
    WoD is in a time-bubble that the one and only Legion starts seeping into. Have them infest it, and then crush it into the finely ground time-sand it should be. Have the last raid be us escaping, maybe even destroying the entire alternate timeline as the legion eclipses all. Let us LOSE for once, and the Legion in the next expansion might have actually felt like a genuine threat.

Deleted
    WOD story was bad, we all know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Sargeras's Burning Crusade also appears to contend with the multiverse, so as he actively recruits from all continuities/universes he also has to field armies to all universes as well. He can't focus his efforts entirely on a single universe at a time (bringing to bear his infinite forces) because otherwise the infinite universes could then be organized and mobilized against him.

If Socrethar was already a demon at the time of his defeat in HFC, then his appearance in Outland during TBC is easily explained away by the fact that he was reconstituted in the Nether beforehand. It wouldn't be information we'd know at the time in any case, as in TBC we just knew Socrethar was a minor Eredar with a personal beef with the Scryers and Aldor. In this case, Othaar and whoever he was in the primary universe both made the decision to join the Legion.

I think the choice for a given "echo" in a given continuity to join the Legion is actually more rare than it is common - this limits the Legion's forces across the multiverse further and explains better their quasi-immortality save destruction in the Twisting Nether. That being said - Socrethar's death in TBC might've been his final death because of Outland in general (and Netherstorm in specific) and its closeness to the Twisting Nether. As WoD was still in the relative past it would make HFC his first death as a demon, and TBC his second death in his own timeline's future - he has yet to re-appear in Legion unlike most of his fellows, so he may be truly dead.

TL;DR version: while the Legion's forces are effectively infinite, so too are the number of battlegrounds they must field their forces. While the equation is still against the resistance forces such as Azeroth's people, it's not a completely hopeless struggle (and there are perhaps greater powers supporting us that we haven't fully seen as of yet).
    But TBC happened before WoD, so HFC would be the second death.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    On his specific point, you are correct and he is wrong.

On the more general point that WOD's premise didn't make sense...well let's be honest, it didn't, did it?
    That's largely what I came to say.

Warlords of Draenor was too challenging for such generally weak writers to pull off, a problem that was exasperated by Blizzard effectively pulling the plug on it almost immediately upon release.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by SandMax View Post
    But TBC happened before WoD, so HFC would be the second death.
    Relative to us, yes. But relative to WoD's timeline, TBC would be in it's future. WoD is actually set on a Draenor some years before the events of Warcraft I (if those events would have occurred on WoD's alternate Draenor at all).
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Relative to us, yes. But relative to WoD's timeline, TBC would be in it's future. WoD is actually set on a Draenor some years before the events of Warcraft I (if those events would have occurred on WoD's alternate Draenor at all).
    Hmm, but TBC wouldnt happen at all there as you said. The problem still persists, that thise demons can exist simultaneusly in different universes, so the archimondes are two different not the same as blizzard thinks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post
    This picture explains it all:
    this is genius

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radaney View Post
    It was fucking nonsense made up to tie into the movie.
    And you are so wrong..
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Title is doesn't make sense. Also does Bruno Mars is gay? OK I'm done now.

Warlords was made because they wanted to go to Draenor. It's the same reason we got Battle for Mount Hyjal despite no Infinite interference, they just thought it would be cool, so we got a filler arc before the "main story" of the Legion returned. Unfortunately it was a really weak filler. We can only hope that Legion will be better.

Regarding the "Why not just invade with infinite demons" comment, I think they're trying to. The issue is physically getting them there. That's why the portals are opened, but even then they still have to send them all through. Mobilising infinite troops isn't as easy as one might think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Hmm, but TBC wouldnt happen at all there as you said. The problem still persists, that thise demons can exist simultaneusly in different universes, so the archimondes are two different not the same as blizzard thinks.
    TBC may or may not happen in Universe B, but that doesn't mean it didn't or wouldn't happen in Universe A (our universe for purposes of this exchange). The situation with demonic entities is pretty hard to understand - but I kind of think of it like this:

Whenever a resident of any universe elects to become a demon, they leave their current continuity and join what I'll call Universe Z, the Twisting Nether. Universe Z is temporally and dimensionally transcendent - and every demon is essentially a gestalt of *all* their alternate continuities' selves (although I don't know how that's reflected in the Warcraft Universe's cosmology). In the case of Socrethar, let's say, his previous selves in the form of Othaar A and Othaar B both become a demon at relatively the same time in different universes. Both ascend to Universe Z to become an essentially immortal demon. Now, let's say we call the demonic Othaar/Socrethar in Universe B (WoD), he dies but returns to Universe Z as per his contract with Sargeras to be reborn again. This death happens in Universe B's timeline *before* Universe A experiences the events of TBC. Upon renewal he enters Universe A's continuity of events to do whatever he does in TBC, but dies again in Netherstorm at the hands of the players and the Aldor/Scryers. Despite both events happening in different universes, and to us at different times, for the transcendent Othaar/Socrethar they're happening in order - first his death in HFC during WoD, then his death in Netherstorm during TBC.

Upon becoming a Demon an entity gets one linear timeline, and if they want to appear in the past of a given continuity they have to have access to magic or technology that permits travel through time (e.g. Archimonde's appearance in WoD *after* his defeat in the relative future). Although Archimonde may have also utilized the re-routed Dark Portal to travel to Universe B's Draenor from the Azeroth side in Universe A, travelling through time and dimensions in the same manner we did to stop the Iron Horde. I'm not sure on that score.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    And you are so wrong..
    Brilliant retort my good man!

You have completely convinced me otherwise!

Everyone here must be really reeeeeeally bored today.

10+ Year Old Account
    Garrosh goes back in time to Draenor age, creating alternate timeline. In this timeline orc clans form "iron horde", their mission is to conquer azeroth of the "original" universe. This doesnt really make sense since if they build portal in this alternate universe, the portal will lead to alternate Azeroth, not the one players are in, so the original Azeroth was never in danger of orc invasion. The whole premise of expansion doesnt make sense, unless somehow the portal built in alternate universe leads to Azeroth in original universe.
    lol, neither does the title of your thread. So that's something.

WoD didn't make any sense on a whole lot of levels.

Stop looking for logic in a game which mails you dragons.

We can find fault in practically any story arc in the game if we really wanted to.
    And in this case people find fault because they want to.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

I am trying to understand this timeline things, so bear with me:

I guess when blizzard says archimonde killed in HFC was the same demon who was killed in Hyjal in main timeline at different point in time and different universe, they mean that HFC takes place earlier than Hyjal battle, so when Archimonde is killed in HFC he goes to nether and then later on incarnates again for Hyjal in the main universe.

This of course means, that timelines of different universes are operating on a common time. When we were fightning against Archimonde in Draenor era in alternate universe, at the same time in our universe horde was just drunk mannoroth blood and invaded the Azeroth, which means that Hyjal events were still in the distant future so WoD archimonde can exist without any paradoxes.

Magic + time travel don't need to make perfect sense. It's a game. It doesn't matter.

Deleted
    I am trying to understand this timeline things, so bear with me:

I guess when blizzard says archimonde killed in HFC was the same demon who was killed in Hyjal in main timeline at different point in time and different universe, they mean that HFC takes place earlier than Hyjal battle, so when Archimonde is killed in HFC he goes to nether and then later on incarnates again for Hyjal in the main universe.
    No. HFC happened after the Battle of Mt. Hyjal from Archimonde's point of view. The Archimonde we fought in HFC had already experienced the Battle of Mt. Hyjal since there is, or was, only one demon Archimonde.
    Last edited by mmoccd6b269a28; 2016-06-20 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Stop looking for logic in a game which mails you dragons.

We can find fault in practically any story arc in the game if we really wanted to.
    And in this case people find fault because they want to.
    You can still compare logic in certain x-pacs to that of others. Simply dismissing shit story writing because it is fantasy is being slightly obtuse.