Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

What year is it when we assault the Broken Shores?

Do we know if it's year 32 after the first war already or are we still in 31?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm curious about this too, quite frankly. You know what I'd like? A graphic timeline with precise events occurring over these.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

15+ Year Old Account
    sadly warcraft does not yet have a calendar system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by banestalker View Post
    sadly warcraft does not yet have a calendar system.
    It does, it just doesn't extend beyond year 30 (MoP).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    no, they just didn't bother writing a calendar system for it.

and don't give me the "dark portal calendar" explanation because it's BS. because it doesn't make sense.

why? the advent of history and calendar is closely related to the history of writing. as nations developed means to write books they always sought to record their history. using this logic, Azerothian Kingdoms, both the Kal'dorei and the Sin'dorei, Humans, ,Trolls (yes even trolls), Dwarves and other civilizations who have the means to write books and record their history history MUST have developed a means to exactly record the date and time of their history. and having a calendar and chronology is one of the basics of timekeeping.

It's funny to actually think that nations that built cities such as Dalaran, Suramar, Stormwind, Ironforge and Silvermoon didn't actually think of a way to record the date of events and develop a calendar untill the dark portal opens.

Thus, the advent of a calendar system must date back far beyond the date of the dark portal's opening. short answer : they didn't bother making one.
    Last edited by Gamevizier; 2016-06-19 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by banestalker View Post
    no, they just didn't bother writing a calendar system for it.

and don't give me the "dark portal calendar" explanation because it's BS. because it doesn't make sense.

why? the advent of history and calendar is closely related to the history of writing. as nations developed means to write books they always sought to record their history. using this logic, Azerothian Kingdoms, both the Kal'dorei and the Sin'dorei, Humans, ,Trolls (yes even trolls), Dwarves and other civilizations who have the means to write books and record their history history MUST have developed a means to exactly record the date and time of their history. and having a calendar and chronology is one of the basics of timekeeping.

It's funny to actually think that nations that built cities such as Dalaran, Suramar, Stormwind, Ironforge and Silvermoon didn't actually think of a way to record the date of events and develop a calendar untill the dark portal opens.

Thus, the advent of a calendar system must date back far beyond the date of the dark portal's opening. short answer : they didn't bother making one.
    They did, actually. It's called the King's Calendar.

But that's it that did was make it. They didn't provide any useful context to it. The number exists (592 lining with with 0ADP), but it doesn't say when it starts.

Just gonna say though, I still completely disregard the UVG timeline. I don't care what Blizzard says, the expansions did NOT take place over the course of a single year.

I assume it's just like 12 years + how long in between WC3 and WoW.

it's hard to tell how long WoD took. This whole time travel thing really twists things.

The easiest way to measure time in Azeroth is to look at Anduins current model.

Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    The easiest way to measure time in Azeroth is to look at Anduins current model.
    Not really. They've retconned his age a number of times to fit him into the story better.

anduin was 16 in MoP.
    he is either 17 or 18 in legion.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Quote Originally Posted by InterstellarOwl View Post
    I assume it's just like 12 years + how long in between WC3 and WoW.
    4 years between WC3 and WoW

Didn't they confirm at Blizzcon that Legion is +5 years post WoD? Or has that been contradicted since then.

Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    Didn't they confirm at Blizzcon that Legion is +5 years post WoD? Or has that been contradicted since then.
    They changed it
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

They've said it's 10 yars after BC.
    So, it's ~5 years after WoD.

Guys, if you like calendars and wonder about what they would look like in Azeroth, have a look at Marthen's Project on Azeroth and Draenor over on Scrolls of Lore. He attempts to create a coherent world and narrative (currently) at the time of the First and Second Wars.

He has created calendars for the various peoples of the Eastern Kingdoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Leodok View Post
    They've said it's 10 yars after BC.
    So, it's ~5 years after WoD.
    No, that's false. It's already been debunked. They've confirmed this isn't the case. It's 10 years in real life, but for some reason WoW has been using a different slower timeset, with less time between vanilla and MoP lorewise, than in real life.

Some people took it to mean that 10 years would therefore mean a timeskip. But there's never a timeskip. Dave Kosak has confirmed that it's not 10 years on twitter. How long it has actually mean since the Black Temple's fall is unclear. There was a placeholder item that said 8 years, but that is hardly conclusive, as this has been in the files since early beta, and a lot changed since then.

- - - Updated - - -

Anduin's model isn't a good indicator of his age. Just as Orgrimmar which was suddenly practically reconstructed when Cata arrived, while apparently only just torched in the elemental invasions. That didn't denote a sudden skip either.

This is an episodic game. Blizz can only update things in large steps, not tweak the whole world with every patch. This means that some assets need to remain unchanged, for a very long time. Sometimes 10 years even. Anduin's model may look a few years older than 18-19 to some people now. But I'm sure when he's 25 he'll still be using this model, and it'll seem ridiculous if he looked way younger. Blizzard gave him this model to last him for the foreseeable future.
    Last edited by Caerule; 2016-06-20 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanjin View Post
    anduin was 16 in MoP.
    he is either 17 or 18 in legion.
    He's more than a year or 2 older.

Yep, year 0 commemorates the birth of our lord and savior, Thrall. If Legion is year 33 does that mean Thrall dies and reincarnates 3 days later?

Quote Originally Posted by Haekke View Post
    Do we know if it's year 32 after the first war already or are we still in 31?
    Probably 32.

Quote Originally Posted by TyrannicalPuppy View Post
    Just gonna say though, I still completely disregard the UVG timeline. I don't care what Blizzard says, the expansions did NOT take place over the course of a single year.
    They didn't make that up for UVG. The Timelines in the TBC and Wrath manuals had the expansions taking place in a single year, and Anduin's age in all the books since then has been extremely consistent with that fact. The only exception so far has been Cataclysm, which took two years (a year from Deathwing emerging to his defeat, and then another year until Mists started).