Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Well, his behavior was pretty disgusting, and his having been drunk doesn't change anything... But up to 3 years in jail for that? I would think a financial compensation to the victim would be enough.
    There were threats made and we don't know the extent, he could have said things that made them seem really credible. Without knowing what was said exactly its hard to determine what is appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    There were threats made and we don't know the extent, he could have said things that made them seem really credible. Without knowing what was said exactly its hard to determine what is appropriate.
    I think the Australian courts know the details

More images.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    They should make an example of him to other trolls, with maximum time.
    Sounds good to me.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonvalor View Post
    I think the Australian courts know the details
    You didn't ask what the court's opinion was:

What's your opinion

Deleted
    I'm not seeing any rape threats.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    I'm not seeing any rape threats.
    "I'd rape you if you were better looking" is acceptable to you

Deleted
    "I'd rape you if you were better looking" is acceptable to you
    that's a hypothetical rape threat

I'd kill you if you killed my mom

did I just threaten to murder you?

better call the poooooolice

I'll just hide for 5 minutes and it'll be ok though

Quote Originally Posted by SidFwuff View Post
    This is Australia, not the United States.

Many countries value anti-harassment and anti-hate laws above the "right to free speech".
    This makes little sense because it'd quite likely be the same result in the US if pursued. Contrary to what a lot of people would have you believe, freedom of speech simply doesn't protect you when you start threatening to harm others.

And if you're referring to the opinion he had along the lines of "They should never have given women rights" or such, well it simply isn't any sort of threat. It's just a stupid opinion. Just because someone claims to be offended by it doesn't mean a damn thing, and any claim would likely be thrown out before ever seeing a courtroom.

The day people start getting jailed for voicing opinions (no matter how awful) anywhere like Australia, the US, etc, is the day modern society goes in the fucking toilet for good. But it's a day a vocal minority are absolutely pushing for... The right to jail anyone who has opinions they disagree with.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    They should make an example of him to other trolls, with maximum time.
    Yeah, treat one criminal different to another who commits the same crime... That'll totally show everyone your justice system is completely fair and unbiased.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasterix View Post
    Yeah, treat one criminal different to another who commits the same crime... That'll totally show everyone your justice system is completely fair and unbiased.
    People don't get same sentences for same crime. You haven't yet realized this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

This makes little sense because it'd quite likely be the same result in the US if pursued. Contrary to what a lot of people would have you believe, freedom of speech simply doesn't protect you when you start threatening to harm others.
    I'm a Canadian. There are many things that Americans assume we have that we don't- like "pleading the fifth". Our "freedom of expression" is much more limited than the U.S. We can be charged for saying things other than threats.

Such as hate, bullying and harassment.

And if you're referring to the opinion he had along the lines of "They should never have given women rights" or such, well it simply isn't any sort of threat. It's just a stupid opinion. Just because someone claims to be offended by it doesn't mean a damn thing, and any claim would likely be thrown out before ever seeing a courtroom.
    Why are you assuming (like many here) that it has to be a threat? He wasn't charged for threatening them!

It was an edit, so maybe you missed it, but I quoted the charge in my post:

Alchin was charged with "using a carriage service to menace, harass or cause offence"
    They told him to stop. He didn't. That's illegal in Australia (and here in Canada for that matter).

I realize that some countries (such as the U.S) view it as a right to express yourself. Australia doesn't- neither does Canada. Less than four years ago, a fifteen year old in Canada killed herself after being bullied on Facebook, exactly like what's happening here.

Canada has since criminalized that behavior- our laws weren't up to date to include the Internet. Australia fortunately had already criminalized this ages ago.

Which is what he was charged with.

The day people start getting jailed for voicing opinions (no matter how awful) anywhere like Australia, the US, etc, is the day modern society goes in the fucking toilet for good. But it's a day a vocal minority are absolutely pushing for... The right to jail anyone who has opinions they disagree with.
    Sorry to break it to you, but "trolling" (such as telling women on Facebook they should never have been given the right to vote) is already criminal offence in many western nations.

Stop focusing on the "rape threats"- whether he did or didn't threaten them doesn't matter in Australia. According to their own government webpage:

"The Australian Constitution does not explicitly protect freedom of expression."

You can check the page yourself right here: https://www.humanrights.gov.au/freed...and-expression

Stop focusing on the "rape threats"- whether he did or didn't threaten them doesn't matter in Australia.
    You should stop focusing on them yourself... My point is that he sure as hell wasn't charged for having an opinion, that's what I'm talking about since his opinion has been highlighted somewhat as if it was even part of the reason. I never said Australia protected freedom of expression/speech.

I'm yet to see a single case where someone has been jailed in Australia, America, Canada or the likes for just having an opinion... It's always that they've done something ELSE while also having an opinion, such as issuing threats of some sort or continuing to harass a person.

The problem is that after these cases some people love to go around quoting the opinions those charged/jailed have had like it was the reason they were charged/jailed, as a scare tactic against people who don't know any better. As if to say "Don't you DARE have this opinion or we'll make sure you go to jail!" when it was actually the threats/harassment that was the real reason for it.

It's pure scaremongering designed to silence people who have opinions others do not like. Just because you say you're offended/scared/whatever by an opinion someone has, doesn't actually mean you're being harassed and/or threatened no matter how much you claim it is so. Thankfully most justice systems are still well aware of this.

This is Australia, not the United States.

Many countries value anti-harassment and anti-hate laws above the "right to free speech".

EDIT: From the article:
    And that is the way it should be.
    Free speech shouldn't be a right to be a jerk without consequences.
    Free speech should be free honest speech.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.