Thread: Resto in Legion

Resto in Legion

You probably get these a lot but i'm going for it anyway

I bought the Legion expansion so i now have a 100 boost to use wich i'm going to use to create a healing char on a new realm i'm playing.

I'm currently in doubt between Druid or Shaman, more inclined to druid since it was my main in vanilla and TBC and played it as a alt on other expacs too, enjoying the playstyle.

So the question is, how is resto in Legion so far, can anyone playing on beta or something give some pointers on how strong it is and how the playstyle is in comparison to previous versions of it?

I expect to do some random raids and some pvp, nothing too fancy.

Apreciate your help.

Deleted
    Too early to tell, balance isn't done yet. I suggest you hop on the PTR right now and create two new characters of those classes and try for yourself and see which mechanics appeal to you the most.

You're going to have to try yourself. No one knows what play-style you'll like the most. Rdruid hasnt changed THAT much. Same for shamans. Do what the above said and get on PTR and mess around on them to decide which feels better. As far as strength, they are tuning healer numbers last, so its probably not best to choose a healer based on their numbers at this time.

I know many a disc priest right now, and while disc does really good numbers (at the expense of the other healer's numbers.....), they arent super happy with their mains cause theyre bored with their one button class. If I were you, I'd choose a healer based off play style.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's a question for you guys. Is Resto viable now for leveling? Has anyone tried it?

I main resto so I'd love to level as it but not at the expense of taking 48 years to hit 110.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    Here's a question for you guys. Is Resto viable now for leveling? Has anyone tried it?

I main resto so I'd love to level as it but not at the expense of taking 48 years to hit 110.
    I leveled 100-110 as resto in 24 hours of /played. I actually preferred it, with balance affinity I was still killing mobs in 8-12 seconds depending on crits and was basically guaranteed never to die. Alternatively, you can get the Balance artifact at 102 and just horde the AP items and put them into your resto item. Balance felt squishy to me though, requiring more down time to heal up or eat. I also did this with more than necessary dungeons (cause I wanted to check out 5-man healing) and server issues. I imagine you could level efficiently in under 20 hours.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonzilla View Post
    I leveled 100-110 as resto in 24 hours of /played. I actually preferred it, with balance affinity I was still killing mobs in 8-12 seconds depending on crits and was basically guaranteed never to die. Alternatively, you can get the Balance artifact at 102 and just horde the AP items and put them into your resto item. Balance felt squishy to me though, requiring more down time to heal up or eat. I also did this with more than necessary dungeons (cause I wanted to check out 5-man healing) and server issues. I imagine you could level efficiently in under 20 hours.
    Frankly that's fine by me. I'm in no particular rush to get to 110 (not in a raiding guild etc) but I also don't want it to take forever.

I do have a question about how the artifacts work.

I can get both and only level one? I definitely don't understand how artifacts work lol
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

I can get both and only level one? I definitely don't understand how artifacts work lol
    Yes, you can get your 2nd artifact at lvl 102.

Quests, rare enemies, etc can drop a consumable item, that when you consume it grants Artifact power. So yes you can spend it all on 1 artifact, or split it between both, whatever feels comfortable to you. Think of it like the medallions that grant rep in draenor. (last i checked the artifact power consumable didn't stack, so make sure u got some bag space - dunno if thats changed recently)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keiyra View Post
    Yes, you can get your 2nd artifact at lvl 102.

Quests, rare enemies, etc can drop a consumable item, that when you consume it grants Artifact power. So yes you can spend it all on 1 artifact, or split it between both, whatever feels comfortable to you. Think of it like the medallions that grant rep in draenor. (last i checked the artifact power consumable didn't stack, so make sure u got some bag space - dunno if thats changed recently)
    Oooh ok.

I take it though as a Resto main that it would be most beneficial to max out my resto artifact first? Or are people splitting it up somehow?

Thanks for the responses btw.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oooh ok.

I take it though as a Resto main that it would be most beneficial to max out my resto artifact first? Or are people splitting it up somehow?

Thanks for the responses btw.
    Don't split ... If you wanna main a resto spend all your Artifact power to resto cause it also increase your dmg of your affinity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wakii View Post
    Don't split ... If you wanna main a resto spend all your Artifact power to resto cause it also increase your dmg of your affinity.
    That's what I was thinking but I didn't know if there was some benefit to splitting up the artifact power between the two!

That's what I was thinking but I didn't know if there was some benefit to splitting up the artifact power between the two!
    The only benefit to splitting is being better at your offspec (whether or not that's worth it is up to you, and how much time you expect to be in your offspec - as well as whether or not you'll use your offspec when raiding)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keiyra View Post
    The only benefit to splitting is being better at your offspec (whether or not that's worth it is up to you, and how much time you expect to be in your offspec - as well as whether or not you'll use your offspec when raiding)
    Luckily for me I'm not raiding outside LFR so I'll be rocking resto.

Just play whatever is fun for you. Class balance is pretty ok and Resto Druids are definitely not the weakest healer spec so far.

The way artifact power for traits works after latest changes is that it starts scaling expotentially after certain point. For example, going from trait 13 to 14 costs 6840 AP, going from trait 20 to trait 21 costs ~40k artifact power. The first 13 traits COMBINED cost 6400 artifact power. Putting in last (34th) trait in costs 1,2 million artifact power. You can put roughly 30 traits in your offspec artifact for the same cost.

I personally will be putting 13 traits in whatever artifact I will be leveling with (feral, balance or guardian) and start going for Resto one at lvl 110. These 6k are fairly incosequential at later artifact levels, but can speed up leveling / solo process substantially.
    Torty - Highmountain Druid - Turalyon EU

Icy-Veins Guide for Restoration Druids

Quote Originally Posted by Torty View Post
    Just play whatever is fun for you. Class balance is pretty ok and Resto Druids are definitely not the weakest healer spec so far.

The way artifact power for traits works after latest changes is that it starts scaling expotentially after certain point. For example, going from trait 13 to 14 costs 6840 AP, going from trait 20 to trait 21 costs ~40k artifact power. The first 13 traits COMBINED cost 6400 artifact power. Putting in last (34th) trait in costs 1,2 million artifact power. You can put roughly 30 traits in your offspec artifact for the same cost.

I personally will be putting 13 traits in whatever artifact I will be leveling with (feral, balance or guardian) and start going for Resto one at lvl 110. These 6k are fairly incosequential at later artifact levels, but can speed up leveling / solo process substantially.
    Thats a good idea...I'll have minions leveling with me to speed up the process though so I can prob afford everything going to Resto off the bat. Though, I used relics I got from quests on feral wep in beta.

Deleted
    How is the mana usage going for restos? Will it be pain like it was at the start of cata or not so bad?

- - - Updated - - -

So leveling as resto with the balance affinity works good? Stiil not sure if im going to level as balance or as resto.

OP, the PTR is open now, you can create a level 100 druid to test out the new playstyle.
    You can't get the artifact or see the new zones, but you can see if you like the spells/abilities.

Run a few heroics, see how it feels. I like it