Thread: Need Laptop

15+ Year Old Account

Need Laptop

Ok I'll be living in the dorms this fall at school & won't have enough room for my PC and I need a laptop. I want one that I would also be able to play WOW on. Problem is I need a cheap one or at least one on the cheaper side as funds are fairly low. I know a lot of you guys have special places you go to buy stuff for the cheap and was hoping if you could find me a laptop for school & gaming. I'm ok playing on the lower end of graphics so it doesn't have to be something fancy or able to run on ultra settings. On sale would be a plus. Thanks ahead of time for your help.

15+ Year Old Account
    Still need help with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Still need help with this one.
    What is "cheap" or low? Budget wise?

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not entirely sure tbh. A program that's paying for my school is going to be the one paying for the laptop and if its anything like when they got me a printer, they would be allowing me to find one that fits my needs and pay for it online & ship it to me. Plus I've never priced laptops so I don't know what's a deal and what's not lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    What are you studying in school? Will you be using this for anything intensive other than gaming? Exactly what's your budget? Do you care about battery life, or will it always be plugged in?
    Don't care about battery life because it will almost always be plugged in. I'm going to nursing school...or will be but currently I'll be doing GE studies. As far as gaming goes, I honestly don't play anything but WOW and the occasional Diablo.

Don't care about battery life because it will almost always be plugged in. I'm going to nursing school...or will be but currently I'll be doing GE studies. As far as gaming goes, I honestly don't play anything but WOW and the occasional Diablo.
    doubt you can convince them to pay for a decent gaming laptop unless your courses require VR technology

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok I'll be living in the dorms this fall at school & won't have enough room for my PC and I need a laptop.
    I'm going to call bullshit there. I have helped cram desktop computers and fairly large tube TVs into these dorms that are supposedly too small.
    That being said get your laptop for class but don't worry about its gaming prowess or total lack of it.

Yes the tube TV comment makes me feel old, even if it was approximately 12 years ago.

15+ Year Old Account
    The college I'm going to has small rooms in it and fits 2 or 3 students in a room. There just isn't room in there for a regular PC. I've already done a walk-through and saw what I room I had inside for stuff.

The college I'm going to has small rooms in it and fits 2 or 3 students in a room. There just isn't room in there for a regular PC. I've already done a walk-through and saw what I room I had inside for stuff.
    Sorry, but I gotta call BS on this as well. If you have a place to keep a laptop "permanently plugged in" you have a space you can put a desktop. I mean, is the plan to always use your laptop laying in bed? Does the dorm room not have a spot for some type of desk for you to do work at? It's literally just a room with 2-3 beds and nothing else?

Buy a Dell latitude on ebay used in great condition or something with an AMD A8 APU Integrated HD 6000 series Radeon graphics. Good enough to play wow. 8 core Mobile cpu.

Dedicated graphics are a + but the newer amd APUs can run wow just fine.

For wow to be comfortable you want 6-8GB + Memory and at least 4 Cores. GPU is important but wow is a cpu hungry game. Also the hard drive speed matters loading screens will be near instant with a solid state drive vs a 7200 RPM Hard drive. 5200 RPM Hardrive and anything by seagate just say no no no.
    Last edited by Packing an i5; 2016-06-22 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletal Sorcerer View Post
    Buy a Dell latitude on ebay used in great condition or something with an AMD A8 APU Integrated HD 6000 series Radeon graphics. Good enough to play wow. 8 core Mobile cpu.

For wow to be comfortable you want 6-8GB + Memory and at least 4 Cores. GPU is important but wow is a cpu hungry game. Also the hard drive speed matters loading screens will be near instant with a solid state drive vs a 7200 RPM Hard drive. 5200 RPM Hardrive and anything by seagate just say no no no.
    Why at least 4 cores? And why recommend AMD? WoW does not care about more cores. It cares about IPC. This is why WoW runs better on an intel Pentium G3258(dual core, no HT) than on top of the line AMD CPUs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Why at least 4 cores? And why recommend AMD? WoW does not care about more cores. It cares about IPC. This is why WoW runs better on an intel Pentium G3258(dual core, no HT) than on top of the line AMD CPUs.

say he wants to play any other games besides wow do you really want to still be using an intel Pentium dual core in 2016? I could of gone the route of sticking with my Intel Core Duo Extreme for a few more years but I didn't and it was fine for Wow.

I recommend amd because for the last 5 years ive used an AMD CPU and I have been happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletal Sorcerer View Post
    say he wants to play any other games besides wow do you really want to still be using an intel Pentium dual core in 2016? I could of gone the route of sticking with my Intel Core Duo Extreme for a few more years but I didn't and it was fine for Wow.

I recommend amd because for the last 5 years ive used an AMD CPU and I have been happy with it.
    Well, seeing as it's a laptop, not much you can do about it. Even some of the laptop i7's are 2-core/4-thread:
    http://ark.intel.com/products/88194/...up-to-3_10-GHz

As for you have been using AMD and been happy with it, that's only because you did not try intel. At no price point is it worth using an AMD CPU for gaming. There is an intel option that will outperform it in every aspect, guaranteed. This might change with DX12 and when AMD releases Zen, but for the time being, an intel pentium dual core usually outperforms even the top end AMD CPUs. Maybe not a Pentium Dual Core, but if I had the choice between an Skylake i3 and a 8-core MAD system, yes, I would choose the dual core any day of the week, as intels 2 cores are stronger than AMDs 8.