Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    Ah the appeal to authority fallacy. Obviously an expert on a subject must be correct, except that all human knowledge must be interpreted from nature or events and every person interprets things differently. There is no such thing as absolutely knowledge about anything.
    uh, not when it comes to math, I would think.

10+ Year Old Account
    If ignorance makes you happier in the end, is it not better? What better goal is there is life besides happiness? Do you know of one?
    This is your problem, happiness comes from within, society is irrelevant to how happy you are.

Deleted
    It is essentially a tool to ensure that we don't regress, the alternative barely has any notable positives and we already know all the negatives that would come with it (history is a marvelous thing, I think they teach it at school).

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    You must be the number one Pseudoscientist in your school.

- - - Updated - - -

I guarantee you he interprets a lot of math differently than you and I lol.
    He's on the cover of his middle school's Fake Facts newsletter. This kid is a legend.

And yes, numbers look like "$òê + ▓ô" to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Berengil View Post
    You misunderstand Crissi. I think any compulsory education is bs.
    As we've learned the hard way, the majority of people will stay ignorant if they can help it, because it's easier and ignorance is bliss. On the flip side though, such people are completely worthless to society as jobs require skills and skills require knowledge. That knowledge requires, you guessed it, education. And it's kind of hard to train someone to be an engineer if they can't read, write, or talk.

We can certainly argue that current compulsory education is failing miserably at that purpose of preparing children for adult life and further education, but that is grounds for reform, not just saying "you know what? Screw education! Let's just not educate anyone."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Or until he was a legal adult, flipped them the bird, and walked out.
    Kind of a waste tbh to wait until you're 18 to fail through middle school. Just go through that and at 13-14 you can just drop out of high school. You get out of the system a good 4-5 years earlier. Schooling is mandatory until high school I believe.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because a modern society needs educated citizens.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    As we've learned the hard way, the majority of people will stay ignorant if they can help it, because it's easier and ignorance is bliss. On the flip side though, such people are completely worthless to society as jobs require skills and skills require knowledge. That knowledge requires, you guessed it, education. And it's kind of hard to train someone to be an engineer if they can't read, write, or talk.

We can certainly argue that current compulsory education is failing miserably at that purpose of preparing children for adult life and further education, but that is grounds for reform, not just saying "you know what? Screw education! Let's just not educate anyone."
    I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying it should be available, but not compulsory. And I say that those who disagree with its compulsory nature should engage in a form of non-violent civil disobedience ( refusing to do any schoolwork at all) to protest it.

I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying it should be available, but not compulsory. And I say that those who disagree with its compulsory nature should engage in a form of non-violent civil disobedience ( refusing to do any schoolwork at all) to protest it.
    So at what age do you think a child should be allowed to ruin their life? Should a 5 year old decide he doesn't like kindergarten and then he can just stay home? What about a 12 year old going through puberty and getting picked on? Should they throw away all chance at a future because their voice squeaked?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    This video illustrates the problem nicely.

The children of the Tundra in the video must attend formal school by law. However, there is hardly any industry were they live, so why should they be forced by law to attend formal schooling when it really is not going to help them much in part of the world? This got me started thinking about schooling in general. Since when did formal school become so important that parents are forced by law to send their children to school or suffer consequences? And why is formal schooling so important that it is forced on entire civilizations? Is formal schooling a form of indoctrination that society imposes on children in order to further its own agenda?

In society we enshrine and worship education as the pinnacle of society, but is it really that important on the larger scale of all things?
    Yes, without a doubt. Education is the silver bullet. And good education is the key to a great society. These aren't platitudes. These are truths. Ask yourself one question:

Are kids born hating something or do they learn it somewhere along their lives?

I don't know exactly why, but this trend follows me everywhere on random forums on the internet, to facebook, and even in real life. People just don't fucking like me or my opinions for some reason. Obviously, I am aware that it is a problem with me, but I can't put my finer on what it is exactly and I have rather grown accustomed to, and even search it out, constant dissension from others anyways.
    Because your ideas and opinions kind of suck.
    Beta Club Brosquad

^This
    /10char
    It is not "that".

You are using a computer and the internet to make an argument against compulsory education. The irony of that knows no bounds.

The social contract is not something you can opt out of. You have obligations towards it by the virtue of being alive.

Unless you hail from a small group of people who are all related and have spent the last 4000 years isolated from the rest of the human race your ancestors already benefited from the Social Contract, making YOU a product of it.

Education doesn't necessarily impose conformity. Society does that by default and requires no input from education to do so.

Societies seek conformity because it guarantees security. It is unsurprising then that society would view nonconformity as a source of danger.

Education is one of the few things that can broaden the horizons of a society by exposing it to multiple perspectives and opposing ideas.

The example to this is the fact that societies with the lowest educational attainment are the ones that always have some of the most conservative and restrictive ways of living, and are the ones most obsessed with conformity.

Finally I find it truly hilarious that you have of quote on public service by Newton while arguing againt the social contract.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2016-06-21 at 09:30 AM.

If you believe you only benefit from education specifically tailored to your needs/fields, you would be very wrong. There's a huge reason you're talk a wide variety of subjects when you're young.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    how is it an appeal to authority to not want to listen to someone who knows jack squat on a subject? If you want to spout falsehoods due to ignorance, thats on you and no one should have to give you any kind of credibility.
    Because there is no such thing as absolute truth. Every one of humanities systems that it has created, even the hardest math and science, is not directly connected to reality/nature. Every one of humanities systems had to be interpreted by the observer at one time or another, and since everyone interprets things differently no system of humanity is absolutely true but rather just exists of varying levels of belief; therefore, an expert on a subject can be completely wrong about everything he thinks he knows and a 2 cent bum can be correct. The expert is only an expert at the systems that we have created that are fallible constructs.

God that was a mouth full lol.
    Last edited by nanook12; 2016-06-21 at 03:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because there is no such thing as absolute truth. Every one of humanities systems that it has created, even the hardest math and science, is not directly connected to reality/nature. Every one of humanities systems had to be interpreted by the observer at one time or another, and since everyone interprets things differently no system of humanity is absolutely true but rather just exists of varying levels of belief; therefore, an expert on a subject can be completely wrong about everything he thinks he knows and a 2 cent bum can be correct. The expert is only an expert at the systems that we have created that are definitely fallible constructs.

That seems like some philosophy mumbo jumbo used to justify bleach enemas.

and for a common joe to be correct, he has to have some base understanding. You dont just stumble upon the correct reason why something is the way it is.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Do you realize how less off our country would be if every kid who's ever hated school just didn't go because they didn't want to? You really think a stubborn 12 year old can comprehend how stupid of a decision it would be to drop out of school because it feels like a waste of time? (Unless they're actually learning on their own and not spending all their time playing video games and masturbating). Better to not give them that option and better to not give their shitty parents the option of allowing them to do that.

Do you think every single person in a position of power was just placed there without no hard work of their own? You've got to be trolling at this point.

Some people are perfectly happy in their ignorant bliss, others have developed their lives to the point of needing more for happiness, again have you heard of the maslow's hierarchy of needs?

Sooo, it's a bad thing that a society wants to thrive? What are you even trying to argue? If that's education is bad then you just didn't get enough of it. If it weren't for mandatory schooling, you probably wouldn't have even learned to read or write.
    RED: You're wrong studies show that more intelligent people tend to be less happy. So society wants people to get more educated to become more intelligent even though increased intelligence makes you less happy in the. See all societies cares about is productivity and progressing it's own power even at the cost of happiness of its own citizens.

Because there is no such thing as absolute truth. Every one of humanities systems that it has created, even the hardest math and science, is not directly connected to reality/nature. Every one of humanities systems had to be interpreted by the observer at one time or another, and since everyone interprets things differently no system of humanity is absolutely true but rather just exists of varying levels of belief; therefore, an expert on a subject can be completely wrong about everything he thinks he knows and a 2 cent bum can be correct. The expert is only an expert at the systems that we have created that are definitely fallible constructs.

Not only was it a mouthful, it was also complete philosophy 101 level bullshit lol.

- - - Updated - - -

RED: You're wrong studies show that more intelligent people tend to be less happy. So society wants people to get more educated to become more intelligent even though increased intelligence makes you less happy in the. See all societies cares about is productivity and progressing it's own power even at the cost of happiness of its own citizens.
    Being intelligent makes you less happy because you realize just how stupid some people are. Dumb people are always a buzz-kill.

7+ Year Old Account
    That seems like some philosophy mumbo jumbo used to justify bleach enemas.

and for a common joe to be correct, he has to have some base understanding. You dont just stumble upon the correct reason why something is the way it is.
    Actually, that is the way most big scientific discoveries are made because they have reached the threshold of the current system of understanding.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    Not only was it a mouthful, it was also complete philosophy 101 level bullshit lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Being intelligent makes you less happy because you realize just how stupid some people are. Dumb people are always a buzz-kill.
    Doesn't matter how or why it makes you less happy, the fact is that increased intelligence makes you less happy. If happiness is the main motivator of life and higher intelligence actually decreases happiness, then it is a fair argument against education.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, that is the way most big scientific discoveries are made because they have reached the threshold of the current system of understanding.
    yeah, by using previous education on how things work as a base. Which, guess what, requires an education!

7+ Year Old Account
    yeah, by using previous education on how things work as a base
    Albert Einstein made his discoveries by completely abandoning the previous system of belief. His concepts were so divorced from the thinking of the time that there was no way to arrive those concepts out of accepted way of thinking at the time. We are getting off track though.