Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    Albert Einstein made his discoveries by completely abandoning the previous system of belief. His concepts were so divorced from the thinking of the time that there was no way to arrive those concepts out of accepted way of thinking at the time. We are getting off track though.
    Still requires an education to understand the concepts, and then think of why they might be wrong. You cant prove something is wrong if you dont know what that something is and why/how it would be wrong.

Actually, that is the way most big scientific discoveries are made because they have reached the threshold of the current system of understanding.

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn't matter how or why it makes you less happy, the fact is that increased intelligence makes you less happy. If happiness is the main motivator of life and higher intelligence actually decreases happiness, then it is a fair argument against education.
    You'll never be unhappy. Science doesn't just randomly stumble upon discoveries. They use all of the previous understandings and build upon them, not just "Holy shit, we saw a light through this telescope. Let's spin the wheel of discoveries to find out what that was!"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Still requires an education to understand the concepts, and then think of why they might be wrong. You cant prove something is wrong if you dont know what that something is and why/how it would be wrong.
    Look I will quote Albert Einstein himself since you don't believe me "imagination is more important than knowledge" here Einstein realizes that knowledge, which is just another word for education in this context, is inferior to simply thinking outside the box. In effect, Einstein is saying that education is not as important as people say it is. Like fuck man, how does it get anymore clear that education is not as great as it claims itself to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Look I will quote Albert Einstein himself since you don't believe me "imagination is more important than knowledge" here Einstein realizes that knowledge, which is just another word for education in this context, is inferior to simply thinking outside the box. Einstein is saying that education is not as important as people say it is.
    He also lacked the imagination to get his head around Quantum theory, so I wouldn't exactly call him an expert on the concept.

Look I will quote Albert Einstein himself since you don't believe me "imagination is more important than knowledge" here Einstein realizes that knowledge, which is just another word for education in this context, is inferior to simply thinking outside the box. Einstein is saying that education is not as important as people say it is.
    LOL Taking a quote waaaaaaaaaay the fuck out of context. I'm sure he could have been just as successful in sciences if he had never gone to school or studied.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    You'll never be unhappy. Science doesn't just randomly stumble upon discoveries. They use all of the previous understandings and build upon them, not just "Holy shit, we saw a light through this telescope. Let's spin the wheel of discoveries to find out what that was!"
    I so want a wheel of discoveries now.

I so want a wheel of discoveries now.
    Sorry, it's reserved for only the most uneducated.

7+ Year Old Account
    LOL Taking a quote waaaaaaaaaay the fuck out of context. I'm sure he could have been just as successful in sciences if he had never gone to school or studied.
    Exactly, that was my point he probably could have.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, it's reserved for only the most uneducated.
    *cracks open another beer*
    Time to kill some brain cells.

Exactly, that was my point he probably could have.
    I was being sarcastic. And you agreeing with that clearly sarcastic statement shows that you need to take this L and go to bed.

this may have already been said but I was a truanting bastard when I was a teenager and they way they broke it down to me is that, the state/gov pays for your education up front, so they sue your folks, basically, it can be said that perhaps your folks aren't looking out for your best interest by not being a good enough parent to make sure they get some sort of an education. possibly neglect i'm not entirely sure but i think the gov see it as you basically giving them the finger and they don't like that, or wasting money.

I think there may be exceptions in some circumstances if you live in remote places, home schooling or maybe even the closest church/community centre perhaps. I actually finished my key skills after I finished secondary school during an IT course.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2016-06-21 at 03:53 AM.

Deleted
    denying someone the ability to read just because they cant conceive of such a concept by themselves seems very cruel.

Quote Originally Posted by Berengil View Post
    I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying it should be available, but not compulsory. And I say that those who disagree with its compulsory nature should engage in a form of non-violent civil disobedience ( refusing to do any schoolwork at all) to protest it.
    What I'm trying to reinforce with that first paragraph is if it's not enforced, fewer people will go. Out of a combination of people enjoying remaining ignorant and children not liking school. That is not good for society.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

RED: And the truth is revealed! Societies main agenda is to constantly push its own power. BLUE: And I disagree with you that societal progress improves because each advancement comes with just as many upsides as it does downsides. In fact, there is evidence to suggest that society actually makes us less happy and fulfilled. I should have seen it from the beginning, it is always a quest for more power.
    Sure, power over nature. That's a good thing, like that we don't have to expect only half of our children or less to survive childhood. The upsides are immensely favorable compared to the downsides. Humans are not dumb animals. Our development and quest for knowledge is not society's doing, it's a natural thing, and makes us different from other species.
    Mother pus bucket!

This video illustrates the problem nicely.

The children of the Tundra in the video must attend formal school by law. However, there is hardly any industry were they live, so why should they be forced by law to attend formal schooling when it really is not going to help them much in part of the world? This got me started thinking about schooling in general. Since when did formal school become so important that parents are forced by law to send their children to school or suffer consequences? And why is formal schooling so important that it is forced on entire civilizations? Is formal schooling a form of indoctrination that society imposes on children in order to further its own agenda?

In society we enshrine and worship education as the pinnacle of society, but is it really that important on the larger scale of all things?
    Because even as a parent you don't have right or reason to deny your offspring knowledge they can use to live their own lives. They aren't your personal servants and deserve the same opportunities that everyone should have.

Education is control, thats why. If you can force someone into a location for 2/3rds of their waking day you can fill their heads with whatever ideas you like.

Another law that wouldn't exist if the "mafia wives" that want the police to do their dirty work had to show up to peoples houses with a gun themselves to enforce it.

Deleted
    Because society deems it too important to not have.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiricine View Post
    Education is control, thats why. If you can force someone into a location for 2/3rds of their waking day you can fill their heads with whatever ideas you like.

Another law that wouldn't exist if the "mafia wives" that want the police to do their dirty work had to show up to peoples houses with a gun themselves to enforce it.
    You're a funny guy Sully, that's why I'm going to kill you last... Idiots, every generation has them. Think of how hard your forebears fought to get education and now that its the enforced norm that everyone has access to knowledge you want to deny it.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Because denying children an education is worse than abusing them (technically speaking it is mental abuse), if you let them grow up stupid it will hurt them immensely.

10+ Year Old Account
    In society we enshrine and worship education as the pinnacle of society, but is it really that important on the larger scale of all things?
    Yes, absolutely.
    People need to be educated in order to make informed decision in all aspects of their life. We wouldn't be where we are as a western civilization w/o enforcing proper education.

The children of the Tundra in the video must attend formal school by law. However, there is hardly any industry were they live, so why should they be forced by law to attend formal schooling when it really is not going to help them much in part of the world? This got me started thinking about schooling in general. Since when did formal school become so important that parents are forced by law to send their children to school or suffer consequences? And why is formal schooling so important that it is forced on entire civilizations? Is formal schooling a form of indoctrination that society imposes on children in order to further its own agenda?

Forced education is especially important in regions such as the one shown in the video.
    If it wasn't forced, parents obviously wouldn't sent their kids to school in that area (and politicans would weasel out of building one, to save money and sell that to the cities where the educated voters live).
    What perspectve does a kid with no education have? They certainly cannot leave and find a job elsewhere. So without education they are effectively turned into slaves of their parents or their employer.