Page 1 of 2
LastLast

UN official critical of Hungary plan to shut refugee centers

[url]https://www.yahoo.com/news/un-official-critical-hungary-plan-shut-refugee-centers-123902197.html?nhp=1[/

UN official critical of Hungary plan to shut refugee centers

A woman watches a photo of refugees at the opening of a photo exhibit by the U.N. refugee agency UNHCR at the Keleti railway terminal in Budapest, Hungary, Monday, June 20, 2016. Last year thousands of migrants a day were passing through the railway station. on their way to Germany and other western destinations before Hungary built fences on its borders with Serbia and Croatia. (AP Photo/Pablo Gorondi)
    More

BUDAPEST, Hungary (AP) — Hungary's plan to close its refugee reception centers will make it much more difficult for people granted asylum to integrate, forcing them to leave the country, the regional head of the U.N.'s refugee agency said Monday.

Montserrat Feixas Vihe, the UNHCR representative in Central Europe, said conditions in the countries refugees are fleeing from have not improved but it is now much harder for them to seek protection in Europe.

"The need for them to flee is just as bad as last year," Feixas Vihe told The Associated Press. "They need to seek protection and they are not able to get it here. That is a major problem."

Feixas Vihe spoke after the opening of a photo exhibit about refugees at Budapest's Keleti railway terminal. Last year, thousands of migrants passed through the terminal each day on their way to Germany and other western destinations. The station was closed for days in September because of the large crowds, so migrants began walking toward Vienna on a major highway, leading the government to supply buses to take them to the Austrian border.

But Hungary has since built razor-wire fences on its borders with Serbia and Croatia that have significantly stemmed the flow of migrants and refugees, from as many as 3,000 a day last year to around 120 a day now.

The closing of the centers is part of Prime Minister Viktor Orban's anti-migrant policies, which also include a government-sponsored referendum planned to be held around October seeking support to oppose plans by the European Union to resettle refugees among the members of the bloc.

Hungary last year closed its largest refugee center, in the eastern city of Debrecen, which had place for 1,200 people and opened during the 1990s wars in the former Yugoslavia. A center for nearly 500 people in the town of Bicske, near Budapest, is slated to be shut this year.

Gyorgy Bakondi, the prime minister's homeland security adviser, told the AP that while Bicske, the largest of the three remaining open reception centers, would be closed, there were plans to expand a detention facility for migrants and asylum-seekers in the town of Kiskunhalas.

"With the closing of the centers, for the refugees it means Hungary will not be a place where they can be," Feixas Vihe said, noting that the centers were essential in helping integrate those granted asylum. "They will be forced to go."

Good for them. Protect your own.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

They can't need protection that badly if they set all those fires over wake up calls and pudding.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Good to hear countries still prioritize national interest over morals/principles
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    If the UN wants these "refugees" so badly why don't they take care of them, house them, feed them, cater to their every need. They don't need a country or a government to do that. Setup their own thing, do their own thing instead of crying about it. A glorious refugee camp right out side their giant headquarters in New York, Geneva, Vienna and Nairobi and where-ever else it is that they have their giant building complexes.

Deleted
    3000 a day, fucking hell....

Deleted
    A UN official huh?

Better do what they say or else..

you'll get an angry written complaint where they express their disapproval

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    They can't need protection that badly if they set all those fires over wake up calls and pudding.
    Yes, a few cases among millions of refugees... Apparently none of them need protection! /s
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Yes, a few cases among millions of refugees... Apparently none of them need protection! /s
    Yes "a few cases" when the police in many European countries have been hiding the crimes of refugees en masse and the fact that they've pretty much become spoiled brats entirely as people had known that those ones had planned to set the building ablaze and did nothing.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    3000 a day, fucking hell....
    All because some old bag had a heavy does of virtue signaling.

Deleted
    Ah, right, when we don't have evidence to support our claims, let's introduce a conspiracy theory that "police is hiding the crimes".

What the hell happened to the West? It's like in the last few years half people turned from cosmopolitans into illogical xenophobes. Power of mass media...
    The mass media love refugees if you haven't noticed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    Yes "a few cases" when the police in many European countries have been hiding the crimes of refugees en masse and the fact that they've pretty much become spoiled brats entirely as people had known that those ones had planned to set the building ablaze and did nothing.
    Regardless of whether it is true or not, you still deal with, at best, dozens such cases among millions refugees. This is not a relevant basis for judging them all.

I find it strange that people use the worst arguments imaginable in this case. Refugee crisis is a problem, there is a problem of crime rate among refugees, there is a problem of economical drain for their support... You can talk about these problems using reasonable arguments - instead, people resort to xenophobic rhetoric and judge the majority by the actions of a small minority.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette55 View Post
    The mass media love refugees if you haven't noticed.
    No, they don't. They love the crisis though, since it provides for a lot of loud article titles.

EDIT: I removed that comment, because it seemed too pessimistic to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Regardless of whether it is true or not, you still deal with, at best, dozens such cases among millions refugees. This is not a relevant basis for judging them all.
    Also white caucassians burn down refugee centers too, it seems to be the hip thing to do

3000 a day? That can't work, no chance

Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    Also white caucassians burn down refugee centers too, it seems to be the hip thing to do
    If caucasians are burning refugee centers, deport them back to Caucasus.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Leest View Post
    that made me laugh

Deleted
    Good stuff from Hungarians. We only need Germany to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Leest View Post
    Off-topic. Despite few war conflicts in the past, it's quite nice there Women are quite pretty and cuisine is good too!

Bad news for the EU.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreknar20 View Post
    Good to hear countries still prioritize national interest over morals/principles
    Well to be fair, stuff like this should be up to the people, not a couple of politicians. Its taxpayers money they are using and the people have to bear the consequences later.

But then again the media is really biased and does things like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRp9hdP96Vg

Most of the "refugees" are young male migrants but they just fabricate stories to get sympathy by gathering up the few children or elderly they have with them and only filming them.