Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Desareon View Post
    If you really think this ruling is about "protecting" people, then you're just as naive as the German's who surrendered their rights "for the children". If you really don't care about government doing whatever they want, whenever they want, then I suggest you move to North Korea. I'm sure you'll find it's paradise there.

- - - Updated - - -

Those who don't learn from history, are doomed to repeat it. Every single dictatorship in history, has used soft tactics like this to creep in.

"Well you already let the cops search your car, you might as well let them into your house whenever they want. You're not a terrorist right? We gotta protect the children. If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear." Blah blah blah.

It's pathetic.
    I'm actually talking about a good system, non-abusive etc. Until we will have such a system, sure, fuck them.

The laws should protect the innocents from frivolous infringement of their rights, not facilitate criminals to avoid their punishment. That is a correct decision.

10+ Year Old Account
    This ruling pleases me and Im surprised Breyer went to the right on it. Im sick and tired of seeing criminals let go just because the evidence which is real and valid and incriminates them is thrown out just because someone was stopped incorrectly. Just because someone is pulled over for a broken taillight and then realizes its not broken enough to warrant a ticket, shouldnt allow someone with a warrant to run away

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    One justice said it will give minorities a hard time cause a lot of minorities in cars have warrants, child support, failure to appear, etc.
    So maybe they should appear in court when they are supposed to, pay their child support and not commit crimes that will cause a warrant to be issued. What happened to personal responsibility. Nobody gets a warrant just because they are a minority so being a minority is no excuse

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Desareon View Post
    The flawed logic of the weak. You know who said "You have nothing to fear, if you have nothing to hide"? The Nazi Minister of Propaganda, Joseph Goebbels.

The 4th Amendment exists for a reason. Not being a criminal doesn't mean you should be fine with the police treating you like one. I can't even fathom how pathetic of a person you have to be, to be fine with gov't just going through your shit whenever they want. This ruling has nothing to do with "keeping people safe".
    Its not to allow the government to go through your shit anytime they want to, it allows the police to conduct a search if youre pulled over and have a warrant issued. If you dont want searched, take care of your legal issues. This ruling doesnt allow police to just randomly pull over anyone they want to and search their car

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    I disagree - while the particulars are indeed minor and convoluted, the precedent is clear and abuses inevitable; "fruit of the poison tree" is dead, unlawful stops (already a problem) are only going to go up, and the ability of the police to practice selective enforcement will only increase.

One more brick in the path America is paving towards a sort of new third-world police state, (but don't worry, as long as you're in the 10%, it will be better than ever - until you're no longer useful to the oligarchs, or simply run afoul of fate and chance, and fall through the increasingly wide cracks into the ranks of the proles). Personally, I'm passing on all the gilt and lies slapped over the rot and getting out while I still can (and think anyone at all able to ought to do the same).
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    The entire point of unreasonable searches without a warrant is to stop shit like that from happening in the first place. The constitution is supposed to protect the rights of the citizens not the laws of it's government. "Oh look, we have video of you jaywalking, so now we can search your car for meth" is the inevitable outcome of shit like this.
    That's kind of why I went on to say I'd only support this position ethically if cops were heavily punished for those illegal stops, regardless of whether they lucked into someone with a warrant or whatever in the process. Yes, being able to use the evidence means you'd have reason to break the law to get it, but if the officer is at risk of being fired over doing so, even if the evidence works out, then it's a lot more likely they'll think twice.

Especially since the veneer they often use for probable cause is already so astonishingly flimsy at times; they can pull the "I thought I heard screaming" before they kick down your door, or whatever, or "I thought I smelled weed" to justify opening your trunk.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    I'm not a criminal and don't behave like one. So this doesn't bother me.
    Because police are always right 100% of the time...

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...d-2015-n510196

/facepalm

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    pretty sure i won this. how old are you?

- - - Updated - - -

your apparent hatred for the whites is clouding your judgement and makes you seem very childish.
    uhoh, did i trigger you by saying "white people"

sorry... "our melanin challenged friends"
    Last edited by Glnger; 2016-06-21 at 03:44 PM.
    It's been a while actually since I've received a message from scrapbot...need to drink more i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Trump is a complete shitbag that's draining the country's coffers to stuff his own.
    It must be a day ending in Y.

once again I find the hypocrisy and double standard by many in this thread unexplainable

the very people ranting against this ruling are the same people that think your rights should be taken away for your name showing up on some list a list created by law enforcement with nothing but suspicion as reason to be on that list

so if it is wrong for law enforcement to violate you 4th amendment rights over simple suspicion how then is it ok for law enforcement to violate you 2nd amendment rights over simple suspicion. you need duo process and probable cause for both and wanting that for one and not the other makes you a hypocrite

Always some fools spouting white priviledge, good thing mmo champion doesnt have sway over the world or we would be in deep shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    once again I find the hypocrisy and double standard by many in this thread unexplainable

the very people ranting against this ruling are the same people that think your rights should be taken away for your name showing up on some list a list created by law enforcement with nothing but suspicion as reason to be on that list

so if it is wrong for law enforcement to violate you 4th amendment rights over simple suspicion how then is it ok for law enforcement to violate you 2nd amendment rights over simple suspicion. you need duo process and probable cause for both and wanting that for one and not the other makes you a hypocrite
    Wwll, the left loves to pick and choose which amendments are worth enforcing and which aren't. Not exactly shocking mr. Vyxn

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shibito View Post
    Always some fools spouting white priviledge, good thing mmo champion doesnt have sway over the world or we would be in deep shit.
    I know right.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That's kind of why I went on to say I'd only support this position ethically if cops were heavily punished for those illegal stops, regardless of whether they lucked into someone with a warrant or whatever in the process. Yes, being able to use the evidence means you'd have reason to break the law to get it, but if the officer is at risk of being fired over doing so, even if the evidence works out, then it's a lot more likely they'll think twice.

Especially since the veneer they often use for probable cause is already so astonishingly flimsy at times; they can pull the "I thought I heard screaming" before they kick down your door, or whatever, or "I thought I smelled weed" to justify opening your trunk.
    so do you think that your 2nd amendment rights should be taken away under just suspicion by enforcement like many on your side thinks it should?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    so do you think that your 2nd amendment rights should be taken away under just suspicion by enforcement like many on your side thinks it should?
    That has absolutely nothing to do with this issue, in any way whatsoever. Why are you derailing? We have a gun control thread if you want to talk about gun control.

Quote Originally Posted by Shibito View Post
    its sad cause as an asian that owns his own business i'd like to think i'm even footing with white people / anybody really, but this lady ( and a lot of other forum posters ) keeps telling me cause im brown im lesser. its getting old

10+ Year Old Account
    If you dont have warrants for you arrest, you have nothing to worry about. Why is this an issue?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    If you dont have warrants for you arrest, you have nothing to worry about.
    Well, this isn't even close to true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Well, this isn't even close to true.
    Whats not true about it?

If youre pulled over, and they find a warrant, they can and will search your car. You will go to jail, and your car will be towed. Not sure whats isn't true about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whats not true about it?

If youre pulled over, and they find a warrant, they can and will search your car. You will go to jail, and your car will be towed. Not sure whats isn't true about it.
    The part about how if you don't have such a warrant, you've got nothing to worry about.

What this ruling does, in a climate where cops aren't fired with cause for these illegal stops, is give police officers a reason to stop whoever they like, abusing their power, on the off chance that it "pays off" by finding a warrant, because there's no real offsetting negative.

With illegal searches, the "fruit of the poison tree" ruling means that you've forever tainted whatever evidence you uncover, and if it's the only conclusive evidence that can be found, you've guaranteed the criminal's freedom through that illegal search.

Without such a ruling here, there's nothing preventing officers from conducting illegal stops to "fish" for people with warrants or who can otherwise give them cause. So innocent people will end up getting harassed needlessly by officers. THAT is what innocent people have to lose.

10+ Year Old Account
    What this ruling does, in a climate where cops aren't fired with cause for these illegal stops, is give police officers a reason to stop whoever they like, abusing their power, on the off chance that it "pays off" by finding a warrant, because there's no real offsetting negative.
    SoooOOOooo, if you dont have a warrant, you have nothing to worry about. Thank you for quantifying it better than I could.

If youre pulled over illegally, and you have no warrants, everything will be fine. This whole bullshit argument about "POLICE DA DEVIL" is getting old. And I'm glad the SC agrees.

10+ Year Old Account
    SoooOOOooo, if you dont have a warrant, you have nothing to worry about. Thank you for quantifying it better than I could.
    Being hassled by the police is not "nothing".

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    This would seem to encourage unlawful stops in the hopes of discovering a warrant. The issue is NOT for those people who are guilty, it's for those people who are innocent. Getting stopped simply because the police hope to catch you is profiling (usually racial) and is a fucking horrible way to treat your own citizens. If you're of the mind set that "anything is ok as long as they catch criminals," then perhaps you should be just as ok with cops being able to enter your home whenever they want without a warrant. I mean, every once in a while they'll catch someone who is guilty of something. So who cares about the rights of everyone else, right?
    Am I missing something? I dont think what the cop did was wrong. He stopped a person who just visited a house under investigation for narcotic activity, so wasnt there probable cause to conduct a stop?

10+ Year Old Account
    Being hassled by the police is not "nothing".
    For me to worry about that, I would need to see the numbers of illegal arrests and how much evidence was deemed unusalble because of these illegal stops.