Page 1 of 3
LastLast

"something happens in the broken shore which will shock every wow player"

This was said when legion was announced. Did they ever talk about it afteR?

Assumably it's major NPC deaths.

Remember we're talking lowest common denominator and "the next warchief isn't who you expect" when 95% were expecting vol'jin due to the expanded char development, book, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

"Every wow player" actually means only people who care about the lore.

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Where would be WoW if it there wasn't any lore?
    You are telling me that the lore trainwreck that was WoD was essential for the game to continue to exist?

Not everyone gives a shit about the lore in this game, especially after wotlk where the lore took a nosedive.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Assumably it's major NPC deaths.

Remember we're talking lowest common denominator and "the next warchief isn't who you expect" when 95% were expecting vol'jin due to the expanded char development, book, etc.
    Precisely this (except for the 95% part). If you're on MMO-C reading this thread, chances are, you will not be surprised because you are in the smaller, more in-tune/dedicated pool. The average WoW play will be shocked about Varian/Tirion.

Quote Originally Posted by snackfeat View Post
    You are telling me that the lore trainwreck that was WoD was essential for the game to continue to exist?

Not everyone gives a shit about the lore in this game, especially after wotlk where the lore took a nosedive.
    Clearly, they were inspired by DC's New 52 and Spiderman's One More Day.

Just join the PTR trade chat, The beta testers seems to be jumping at the chance to spill every possible secret about the game they can there.

Yes, I'm saying that WoD lore was good. Lore is essential for WoW to exist, yes. It's fine to not care about lore.

Not sure how lore took nosedive after WOTLK when Cataclysm continued story that started (partially) in Burning Crusade, continued (again partially) in WOTLK and then Cataclysm and Mists of Pandaria and Warlords of Draenor kind of finished that era. Now story shifted focus to something else, everything is top notch Blizzard quality.
    You can have your opinion, and if you like the lore, more power to you. But the way that grom went from being this conquering warlord wanting to kill/enslave everyone on draenor who was not part of the iron horde, to becoming our new best buddy with zero build-up and in the end shouting "draenor is free!" is not what I would call good storytelling.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Its amusing how surprised some people are to find out that not all of us care about the games story. Blizzard certainly seems to think that every single one of us like being constantly interrupted by unskippable cutscenes or annoying talking head panes.

I for one am desperately hoping that someone makes a mod to disable the talking heads. Ive already got the /say text turned off, but they keep popping up anyways. Clicking them closed constantly is fucking irritating. Especially as you travel around at 110 and the world quest npc keep mouthing off.

Also, they meant Varian's death in the battle of the Broken Shore.
    Last edited by Nihilan; 2016-06-21 at 01:54 PM.

@Nihilan much like everything else on the interface, you can hide it with moveanything.
    @OneWay Grom was meant to be the leader - and he was set up to be all the way until the cinematic where we see he's suddenly chained up by Gul'dan. This wasn't done for story reasons - it was done for gameplay reasons and one of those times where the gameplay took priority over the story.
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

I think they were referring to the Horde deciding to follow Sylvanas as self proclaimed Warchief, the shock being that Orcs who actually embody the purpose of the horde giving any fucks what a dead elf has to say vs their own kin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    It could be any or all of the following:

The death of Varian

The death of Vol'jin

The death of Tirion

The reappearance of almost every major demon since Warcraft 3

The ascent of Sylvanas to Warchief

The ascent of Anduin to King

A *lot* happens in the Broken Shore scenario, it's a pretty big move in the game's overall story.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well after finishing off all the quests Alliance side in Stormheim we do learn that Sylvannas is up to no good and how she seems to be conspiring with Helya in Helheim at one point during your time in the zone, makes you wonder what she is up to..

On Broken Shore you see Tirion die a horrible death..
    Last edited by grexly75; 2016-06-21 at 02:17 PM.

@Raiju I don't see it that way.
    That's nice n all but this was explained by the developers. It is fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I think it's something far simpler. We lose. We've never lost before.
    I think you're right. It's a fundamental thing up to now that the player may experience some setbacks, but rarely does it ever feel like a real defeat. One event that did feel like a loss was the end of the Worgen starting area. However, even that loss doesn't cripple the Alliance or threaten the world. It's just one battle in an ongoing war. At the opening of Legion we are fixing to have our butts truly kicked with losses of significance and an actual need to pick ourselves up. And it'll be bad enough that the whole world starts becoming willing to make desperate choices, like considering the long-reviled demon hunters to be worth consulting.

Lore at first was fine, until they changed shit and condensed it to whatever was cheapest.
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    makes you wonder what she is up to..[/spoiler]
    seems pretty obvious, to either create or harness the powers of the valkyr

- - - Updated - - -

You can have your opinion, and if you like the lore, more power to you. But the way that grom went from being this conquering warlord wanting to kill/enslave everyone on draenor who was not part of the iron horde, to becoming our new best buddy with zero build-up and in the end shouting "draenor is free!" is not what I would call good storytelling.
    Calling him best buddies is like calling Churchill and Stalin best buddies.
    Their national interests just lined up for the time.

Though I will agree the "Draenor is free" thing was annoying. Though think the Chinese version had it as "The Horde is free"
    But that's also cause of my personal hate boner for all idealistic ideas and terminology

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Grom was meant to be the leader - and he was set up to be all the way until the cinematic where we see he's suddenly chained up by Gul'dan. This wasn't done for story reasons - it was done for gameplay reasons and one of those times where the gameplay took priority over the story.
    Pretty much, though I wont complain

Hellfire Citadel would be a complete copy paste of Blackrock Foundry, and Blizz was listening to complaints of "orc-fatigue". Which is a similar reason why Gorgrond was changed so radically from alpha.
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

10+ Year Old Account
    I already know what happens from watching too many Twitch streams and I'm still excited to see it on my own with my characters.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Meh, the average wow player doesnt give a crap about lore, much less be shocked about an npc's death..

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    PR bullshit obviously!