Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Ion on Legion "Anything can happen"

Solid philosophy on the Legion item structure imo. We've all played an expansion and always stopped running old content because it was "beneath us" in power or relevance.

He brings up legendaries and titanforged from anywhere. No matter what youre doing you might get an upgrade. I think thats going to make the game exciting.

Thoughts?

Source: (44:15 is where he talks about it at length for people asking, but he references it at 18:23 a bit with the legendary question)
    Last edited by ro9ue; 2016-06-21 at 05:26 PM.

Deleted
    What would be the point of natural difficulty progression, if you can get really good gear from stuff that you can one shot?

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Solid philosophy on the Legion item structure imo. We've all played an expansion and always stopped running old content because it was "beneath us" in power or relevance.

He brings up legendaries and titanforged from anywhere. No matter what youre doing you might get an upgrade. I think thats going to make the game exciting.

Thoughts?

Source:
    I like it. But it's releavent to my situation where i am consistently doing things liking helping out guildies and friends with alts and run throughs. So this is relevant to me. I do hope it opens the possiblity of people doing older content in order to get a trinket or piece of gear they like more than the current options in hopes of getting an upgraded version of it, though I doubt it. Chance is likely too low for that.

I appreciate his generous assumption that I have friends that I'd run dungeons with, but it was unnecessary as I'm able to admit I have none.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you are gonna post at hour long video to discuss a quote please time stamp the video link or at the very least post the time for when the quote happens b/c a quote w/o context is uselss

Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    What would be the point of natural difficulty progression, if you can get really good gear from stuff that you can one shot?
    You're not going to get Mythic Titanforged gear from just doing World Quests at a reasonable rate. They've stated multiple times that it's a fairly low percentage of that happening. It'll be high enough to incentive you to run that kind of content when you're not raiding, or when playing with friends, but it's not going to be the most efficient way of doing it.

The concept and idea, which I frankly think is something WoW has needed for a very long time, is to incentive mythic only raiders and hardcore players to delve into content that they'd otherwise ignore and check off a list as "complete" once they get everything need from it, which in turn would lead some content to become totally dead, and either impossible, or far less enjoyable, to do for newer players or alts.

The idea is that you should never run out of things to do in WoW. Even when you're done raiding for the week, you should have a desire to want to hop on, and do some other content, both because it's fun, and that it might also give you a little bonus for doing it. Right now in WoD, and to a lesser extent Mists, the game has become a matter of "Do all this early on in the week, now I don't have to play the game anymore for the rest of the week".

That shouldn't be the case, ever. You shouldn't be able to "Beat" WoW in the sense that you've done everything there is to do, and that such a thing should be an easily achievable goal like it is now.

There's still a natural difficult curve and progression, there's still the obvious caveat for Mythic Raiders to do the hardest content as they'll have the highest chance of getting loot. This system is in place to ensure that no content ever becomes obsolete. And I for one praise Blizzard for doing it.

I dislike the magnitude of possible upgrades.

It will create silly disparities from similar progress raiders, even in the same guild... it might reward you with items so strong that you'll most likely skip upgrades from the next 2-3 steps of progression (ie. getting a 80 ilvl boosted item from normal dungeon will 'skip upgrades for heroic dungeon, mythic dungeon, normal and heroic raids... it's absurd really).

I dislike it, but hey, it's the direction they're taking.

I'm sure people will love getting a heroic\mythic raiding ilvl item from killing random boars... i find it ridiculous.

I honestly think this is something that the playerbase will come to understand a little more once it's actually in front of them and they are playing the game.

Login on a day where your guild doesn't raid, someone mentions needing a dps for a dungeon in guild chat...

WoD me: Fuck no.. i'm just gonna logout and pretend I didn't see guild chat.

Legion me: I might jump in, even for that small chance.. it feels like something to do.

and so on :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bladesyphon View Post
    You're not going to get Mythic Titanforged gear from just doing World Quests at a reasonable rate. They've stated multiple times that it's a fairly low percentage of that happening. It'll be high enough to incentive you to run that kind of content when you're not raiding, or when playing with friends, but it's not going to be the most efficient way of doing it.

The concept and idea, which I frankly think is something WoW has needed for a very long time, is to incentive mythic only raiders and hardcore players to delve into content that they'd otherwise ignore and check off a list as "complete" once they get everything need from it, which in turn would lead some content to become totally dead, and either impossible, or far less enjoyable, to do for newer players or alts.

The idea is that you should never run out of things to do in WoW. Even when you're done raiding for the week, you should have a desire to want to hop on, and do some other content, both because it's fun, and that it might also give you a little bonus for doing it. Right now in WoD, and to a lesser extent Mists, the game has become a matter of "Do all this early on in the week, now I don't have to play the game anymore for the rest of the week".

That shouldn't be the case, ever. You shouldn't be able to "Beat" WoW in the sense that you've done everything there is to do, and that such a thing should be an easily achievable goal like it is now.

There's still a natural difficult curve and progression, there's still the obvious caveat for Mythic Raiders to do the hardest content as they'll have the highest chance of getting loot. This system is in place to ensure that no content ever becomes obsolete. And I for one praise Blizzard for doing it.
    You will have the same ground system ; I.e, you go to raids every week, cause it's the best chanse of fat loot.

Then you go to do a lot easier content, with a lot smaller of a chanse to get relevant gear.

Are we supposed to just, gather up a shit ton of mobs and bladestorm them all, when we have enough gear, just to increase the Mobs/Min we are killing to increase chanses of Legendary drops etc.?

Or Form raids of people, where you can all just go around and plow monsters, cause the span of tagging increased?

I understand Dungeons and Group content, but content that is accesible in the way of just, random mobs, normal things - You overpower them, eventually, and you will just accelerate that further and further, to which you get even more and more gear to accelerate it further.

I don't mean to sound like a partypooper, but it sounds, you know, redundant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The chances for upgrades go up as you increase the difficulty?
    But there is still a time cap on how many times you can do raids.

So, are we supposed to just, kill random mobs for Legendaries, with a faster and faster pace, a.la diablo, without the torment increase?

At what point in the video does he talk about that? It's over 1h of footage, hard to find that one particular spot.

I'm always for having reasons to run older content. But I'm not sure if a theoretical chance to obtain a random update could be enough to really make this feasible. I mean, how great is the chance? I'd imagine that 90% of the time, you'd be doing the content for absolutely no gain at all. I don't really know how the reward systems etc. in Legion work, but without an additional, somewhat regularly plannable incentive, I don't think it would really motivate anyone to do older content frequently. The reason why 5 mans were wildly popular all the way through Cata was that even if you didn't get any desireable items, you'd still bag some amount of valor and justice points and eventually you could buy something off of the badge vendor. When that system disappeared in MoP, 5 mans instantly slipped off into obscurity and meaninglesness.

An additional incentive could be some relevant ressource or currency that you're able to collect, or some sort of frequent drop that with a bit of luck COULD result in an upgrade, or something like that ... just something that gives you some sort of a guaranteed progress or at least somewhat plannable prospect, so that the effort doesn't feel completely for nothing. Without something like that, you might just as well go out and farm random mobs in the outdoor zones because theoretically you MIGHT get lucky and get a legendary or something.

I remember people in Vanilla jerking around in Tyr's Hand and places like that all day, just killing elite dudes and whatever, hoping that the Krol Blade or something would drop. I don't know if a single one of them ever really got lucky. But that's something that hardly anyone would be willing to do. Especially in the year 2016. In 2005, we did a lot of really boring-ass and mundane shit, just because the game was still new and fascinating and it was just a joy to run around, press keys and kill shit. Those times are long over. After 12 years, the game mechanics alone aren't enough to make a player log on and stick around.
    Last edited by Pull My Finger; 2016-06-21 at 04:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just hope we're not getting titanforged relics

Quote Originally Posted by Bladesyphon View Post

As I completely agree with what you just said, I'll honestly still be disapointed if my Full Warforged/Titanforged BIS Mythic raid gear could get at some point matched or close to be matched by someone who got lucky doing other content that require less effort/dedication as I'm someone who like to work hard for what I have.

To challenge yourself for even greater rewards? If you need to be forced to do more difficult things that's on you m8.

7+ Year Old Account
    The chances for upgrades go up as you increase the difficulty?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, mass killing of mobs will become a thing again. I spent a ton of time in other games kiting around groups of mobs as I AoE'd them with my chars(or reverse kiting with my necro). It's more exciting than the stupid facebook games we have in Warlords at least.
    Also, the amount of rewardable content is heavily increased. Instead of only having raiding as the content, which gives you reward, there will now nearly always be a chance for an upgrade out there.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Quote Originally Posted by emilylorange View Post
    I appreciate his generous assumption that I have friends that I'd run dungeons with, but it was unnecessary as I'm able to admit I have none.
    Where do you loot these "friends" from? Was this datamined on the beta?

Deleted
    If you really feel like you need to, yes. Or you could run more difficult content that doesn't have a limit. You know, dungeons and shit.
    Coupled with Mythic+, i think it'll be great

Honestly, if you haven't seen it, that vid is worth the watch.
    Summon Apollo's fire, with hell and heaven's might. Then with great force attend, the falling of all men.
    Release this captured world, from point of no return. Destruction has no end, unless you ride again.

Title is a bit odd, but I agree with what you said.
    I personally have loved the titanforged situation on the beta.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by kurama View Post
    I just hope we're not getting titanforged relics
    But you are, in fact i have 2 mythic titanforged relics in my weapon on beta and the 3rd is a regular mythic one.