Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    It's not a Chinese movie and it still had to be approved. Universal is distributing it in North America, while Legendary and China Film Group are handling the Chinese release. Legendary has the advantage in China because it recently sold to the Dalian Wanda Group. The company is giving it a huge push in China.
    all you have to do to be considered a chinese movie by the government is have a chinese actor or film company involved with the film.

warcraft has both a hong kong actor playing gul'dan and was co funded by a chinese company.

this is why marvel keeps putting chinese things into their movies. age of ultron got around the limit just because of the doctor being a legal citizen of china.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Lesane View Post
    If a day or two apparently makes $60 million difference between what's stated in your article vs. what's on BOM then I'd say it matters a shitload seeing how $60 million is nearly 20% of the overall BO it has.
    The articles were a few days old. I said I was catching up on news for the film twice already with that reportage being for the second week drop off.

It's not a Chinese movie
    According to IMDB it's a China-U.S.-Canada co-production

Source : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0803096/

Quote Originally Posted by alucar View Post
    It still beats Finding Dory last weekend, so your - " Warcraft won't ever surpass Finding Dory's numbers, in any area. Not. Going. To. Happen. In other words - "Warcraft - The Beginning" will never be #1 again, in any country." is wrong.
    What China does prove is that movie has zero appeal outside of hardcore fan-base. This is most telling. There is no way you can top Chinese marketing and still no one cares for it. This screams a niche/bad movie. Ofcourse we can repeat this a million time and this forum will double down on denial..
    Last edited by jdbond592; 2016-06-21 at 05:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbond592 View Post
    What China does prove is that movie has zero appeal outside of hardcore fan-base. This is most telling. There is no way you can top Chinese marketing and still no one cares for it. This screams a niche/bad movie. Ofcourse we can repeat this a million time and this forum will double down on denial..
    This is factually wrong, since plenty of people that don't know anything about Warcraft enjoyed the movie. And ofc it's a niche, fantasy always was a niche, and this is one of the most extreme fantasy titles out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    This is factually wrong, since plenty of people that don't know anything about Warcraft enjoyed the movie. And ofc it's a niche, fantasy always was a niche, and this is one of the most extreme fantasy titles out there.
    Also, it goes to show that bias clickbaiting critics and bad marketing can destroy a movie before it's even out in a country.... of sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by Jshadowhunter View Post
    Also, it goes to show that bias clickbaiting critics and bad marketing can destroy a movie before it's even out in a country.... of sheep.
    Here is a bright idea, make a good movie. One that doesn't have poor acting, piss poor script, horrible dialogues, over use of CGI, lack of actual characters etc.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Here is a bright idea, make a good movie. One that doesn't have poor acting, piss poor script, horrible dialogues, over use of CGI, lack of actual characters etc.....
    Yea something good like Jurassic World.. oh wait.

Here's an even brighter idea, have a person that isn't a clickbaiting, snobbish, subjective bias asshat that has the power to move sheep with words.

Quote Originally Posted by tangocash View Post
    I think this info is wrong. After the 16-19 Jun weekend the number for Chinese Box office is $205M.
    I wish it was true, but I think they missed something.

Must be a mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Vitrino View Post
    I think this info is wrong. After the 16-19 Jun weekend the number for Chinese Box office is $205M.
    I wish it was true, but I think they missed something.
    Yes it's wrong number. Right now it's at 1.39 Billion RMB which is around 210M dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by alucar View Post
    Yes it's wrong number. Right now it's at 1.39 Billion RMB which is around 210M dollars.
    $5M in two days (Monday and Tuesday) seems much more realistic. $35M would have been madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanjin View Post
    Now i don't understand the duncan hate.
    Peter Jackson got the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteRetro View Post
    Peter Jackson got the same.
    People seems to forget about this, before Lord of the Rings he did some Trash B Movies, when he was announced as the director, nobody thought it would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shady View Post
    China Tu est 3M$/210.8M$
    Quick recap for WW BO
    UPI 136M$(LAST UPDATED: 21 Jun 2016 (13:57:58 UK Time)
    China 210.8M$(as of 21.6.2016)
    US 38.4M$
    Total WW 385.2M$
    It takes longer to be over 400 M than I thought it would

- - - Updated - - -

obviously not

- - - Updated - - -

It's important to note, that China bans quite a few movies from being shown in the country and only allow 34 foreign films to be shown each year, which severely limits access to the latest Hollywood blockbusters. Approved films still face the heavy hand of government censors, who cut anything that is considered offensive or subversive.

So, while Warcraft is doing well there, it doesn't necessarily mean it was because the Chinese audiences loved the movie, or because they have better taste, etc. It's very likely doing so well over there because only so many movies are approved to be seen and Warcraft was a big budget Blockbuster, which attracted a huge audience.

It's a smart move - business wise - to make a movie that's also approved to be shown in China, since many people over there are somewhat desperate to see these huge movies and will go to the movie theater.

"China has no motion picture rating system, and films must therefore be deemed suitable by Chinese censors for all audiences to be allowed to screen."
    They import many blockbusters and 3D films do not fall that much into the criteria and are extra.

Civil War made 190 Million, BvsS did much less (96 Million), Xmen Apocalypse made 112 M so far

Jungle Book made 150 Million, and Starwars TFA made only "124 Million" which is considered a mild flop over there

Last year: Furious 7 at 390 M, Age of Ultron 240 M and Jurassic World at 228.7 Million

Zootopia about 235 Million, this year's foreign film champion, and I guess

Warcraft will be this year's BO runners up and Champ of all imported films.

Update: 211.6 Mill, Chinese will keep it another 2 or more weeks in the theater

No. 1 is a local film called Mermaid which made 526 Million (that is some kind of other crazy)
    Last edited by daywalker02; 2016-06-21 at 09:54 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by daywalker02 View Post
    It takes longer to be over 400 M than I thought it would
    Yea... and this week it'll have a bigger drop WW, no big markets release, 415-420M$ by Sunday

10+ Year Old Account
    I still think that there will be a sequel. The MCU had a rather rocky start as well... The Incredible Hulk had a budget of 150 million (w/o marketing) and made 263 million in the theatres, Captain America: The first Avenger had a budget of 140 million (w/o marketing) and made 371 million in theatres.

There's more to it than the box office.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by karzal View Post
    I still think that there will be a sequel. The MCU had a rather rocky start as well... The Incredible Hulk had a budget of 150 million (w/o marketing) and made 263 million in the theatres, Captain America: The first Avenger had a budget of 140 million (w/o marketing) and made 371 million in theatres.

There's more to it than the box office.
    I have to agree with you. It's about potential.

And a sequal for Warcraft has lots of potential outside of the US. Also taking into account China's growing cinema market, it's a bit of a gamble but the odds look good.