Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Thinking of switching to mage in legion - How is the class/specs looking?

Was just wondering how the specs are in terms of viability in raids and playstyle. Are they all viable/fun?

Wait till tuning it complete before asking about viability

Asking about fun, rotational complexity, utility and flexibility are all useful questions though.

Even then though, apparently frost mages will be getting a new ability to replace frostfire bolt, even at this late a stage in the game.

Deleted
    Dude, if one of thing is a given in every expansion then it's mage being not only viable but also OP. You absolutely can't do anything wrong by rolling mage.

- every spec has blink & ice floes (arcane even has reverse blink)
    - every spec has access to ice barrier + ice block + cauterize (which has a sprint effect in Legion, lol)
    - did you count on how many HFC bosses a Mage could trivialise abilities and mechanics? I can tell you - it were A LOT.
    - so far every mage spec in Legion is very simple with 3-4 rotational buttons and 0-1 dmg CDs
    - you can spec out of water elemental as frost mage

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't fully looked into Frost yet, but Fire seems pretty fun so far. Arcane seems like it just doesn't play well yet, although I've only dabbled with it since I've been planning on playing fire
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

Deleted
    Tuning..
    But as always I'm sure mages will be fine mages have never been *worst class of the expansion* at any time, always been in the top and as always are mages a lot of fun to play - specially fire ! but that is a matter of taste

Herald of the Titans Amaterasu65's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UcanDoSht View Post
    Dude, if one of thing is a given in every expansion then it's mage being not only viable but also OP. You absolutely can't do anything wrong by rolling mage.

- every spec has blink & ice floes (arcane even has reverse blink)
    - every spec has access to ice barrier + ice block + cauterize (which has a sprint effect in Legion, lol)
    - did you count on how many HFC bosses a Mage could trivialise abilities and mechanics? I can tell you - it were A LOT.
    - so far every mage spec in Legion is very simple with 3-4 rotational buttons and 0-1 dmg CDs
    - you can spec out of water elemental as frost mage
    Count out the mechanic-trivialization part since Evanesce is gone and Greater Invisibility is arcane-restricted only.
    Speccing out Water Elemental should not be considered as the best raiding choice for the first talent on the frost tree yet either for obvious reasons.
    Apart from those points, I will have to agree and also add that mages have real " class " compared to others. Roll and you shall see o/

Deleted
    Im also thinking about switching to mage, but all the specs look way so simple for me ? especially frost, feels almost like classic, just spam frostbold and react to procs. is this my fail to think that these specs are just 2 btn rotations ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by prinnybomb View Post
    Im also thinking about switching to mage, but all the specs look way so simple for me ? especially frost, feels almost like classic, just spam frostbold and react to procs. is this my fail to think that these specs are just 2 btn rotations ?
    Spamming frostbold is the way to go man! You won't be sorry.

Deleted
    There's nothing too simple about the specs in Legion. Add the Artifact abilities and the talent abilities that aren't passive and you get various combinations. We still don't know yet how to rotate with all the different combos (e.g. people were recently inventing ways to DPS with shimmer which will be a pro way to do more DPS but not easily).

Quote Originally Posted by prinnybomb View Post
    Im also thinking about switching to mage, but all the specs look way so simple for me ?
    I don't think that's something which only applies to mages in legion

Mage is probobly the 2nd safest class when it comes to viability, 1st being warlocks.

Deleted
    I'd say mages is one of the most well-rounded classes atm. All three specs play and feel really different (both thematically and gameplay wise), and even within a single spec there is decent amount of variation through the talents. Some combinations are more complex than others, but I think we'll use a wide variety of talents that suit different circumstances in the game.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    In it's current form, Fire seems to be well equipped for all of EN and atleast the first 3 bosses in NH. We may not be the top of the top but we'll be competitive the entire time

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Azkial View Post
    Fire seems to be well equipped for all of EN and atleast the first 3 bosses in NH.
    What's the reasoning? Lots of adds?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
    What's the reasoning? Lots of adds?
    It has a lot of flexibility. The ability to switch from single target spec to AOE spec is nice, I've been staying relatively high on the meters except for a bad pull here and there. And I still haven't come close to mastering the class.

I like Living Bomb alot for AOE, and the instant cast double flamestrike (artifact talent) helps alot, along with conflag and Pheonix. Plus it's incredibly mobile with all of the instant cast spells, although that may have simply been mechanics coming at a lucky point in time. Fire does relatively good damage, and I find staying out of trouble is pretty easy so far

Stood in the Fire Texan Penguin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Fire looks a lot less miserable to level with in Legion- I've been leveling a mage for the expansion and I stuck with Arcane because it isn't completely dependent on crit to function.. On live, I've found that at low levels you simply don't have enough critical strike, the kill times are too low and the cast times are too long to make it worth my while. I think that's changing from what I can see.
    Last edited by Texan Penguin; 2016-07-18 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulgaan View Post
    Fire looks a lot less miserable to level with in Legion- I've been leveling a mage for the expansion and I stuck with Arcane because it isn't completely dependent on crit to function.. On live, I've found that at low levels you simply don't have enough critical strike, the kill times are too low and the cast times are too long to make it worth my while. I think that's changing from what I can see.
    Currently, Fire is extremely strong. I would suggest not to base your decision based on this though, because tuning is still underway and the risk of getting burned (you see what i did there :P) is high.

Look at mechanics that you find interesting, and pick your decision based on that. You will not be disappointed

10+ Year Old Account
    ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̡͌l
    Mages are the best caster in the game for raids imo. If you're any good, it's the easiest class to get a raid spot as. Not only are mages the most mobile caster, they offer some of the best controlled burst in the game. Ice block is also often very valuable. We also have some of the best/most active theorycrafting. That said, I'm retiring my mage in legion just because I want something different.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Archmage View Post
    Currently, Fire is extremely strong. I would suggest not to base your decision based on this though, because tuning is still underway and the risk of getting burned (you see what i did there :P) is high.

Look at mechanics that you find interesting, and pick your decision based on that. You will not be disappointed
    Did they get a nerf in the recent tuning ? I saw a post on the frontpage about some changes for 7.0.3. Was posted yesterday

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/4...ning-hotfixes/

Quote Originally Posted by fragnot View Post
    Did they get a nerf in the recent tuning ? I saw a post on the frontpage about some changes for 7.0.3. Was posted yesterday

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/4...ning-hotfixes/
    They did, but not substantial. Also, and i repeat myself, it's UNIMPORTANT. Believe me. Specs will be tuned to roughly do the same. Pick whatever playstyle suits you more, or you like more visually, or whatever. NOT upon it's (presumed, mostly) strenght.