[TV] OJ Simpson: Made in America

Why would you want to watch this documentary? It's like 6 hours long or so.

I was looking for a good TV show to watch so I looked on metacritic at the TV section and OJ Simpson: Made in America was the top show. It had 96 points and the next show Silicon Valley Season 3 at 90.

Why is it so good? It's got something for everyone, sports, murder, trials, fame, riots, police, family, gruesome murder photos and on and on.

I think you can stream it right from the ESPN website

http://espn.go.com/30for30/ojsimpsonmadeinamerica/

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I'd wager it depends on your age.

This was probably "the" crime (at least murder) of the decade... and he was found Not Guilty.... and then Guilty.

Its hard to relate to nowadays, where reality TV and celebrity murderorgies being streamed live are an everyday occurence...

but along with the Challenger disaster, this was one of the earlier "events" the whole country watched as it was happening. Instead of hearing or reading about it secondhand through reporters and anchormen.

Deleted
    But did he do it?

WHAT DO YOU THINK MMOC?

Well, the glove didn't fit, as illustrated perfectly by the hollywood actor.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    I'd wager it depends on your age.

This was probably "the" crime (at least murder) of the decade... and he was found Not Guilty.... and then Guilty.

Its hard to relate to nowadays, where reality TV and celebrity murderorgies being streamed live are an everyday occurence...

but along with the Challenger disaster, this was one of the earlier "events" the whole country watched as it was happening. Instead of hearing or reading about it secondhand through reporters and anchormen.
    Pretty much. I was in 5th grade while the OJ trial was going on, and I remember they wheeled one of those TVs into the classroom so we could watch the verdict. There was a while during about the early/mid 90s that you couldn't turn on your TV without hearing about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The murder photos are what will stay with me from this documentary. I was 13 when the verdict was handed down and had no idea how horrible that scene was until now. You hear about it, but seeing Nicole's head half cut off really hammers home how awful this crime was. So much blood between the two bodies it may as well be from a horror film.

I don't know for sure one way or the other and this documentary doesn't do much to convince me, but OJ was incredibly stupid to not walk the straight and narrow after being found not guilty in the criminal trial.
    Well, he was leading a blessed life. Beautiful wife, lifestyle of a rich person, spokesman for Hertz Rent a Car. What possessed him to kill his wife and give all that up.

That one guy saying his mom said, "if OJ would've killed his first wife, a black woman, OJ would've been found guilty and sent to prison and nobody would've said anything."

I don't remember any of the OJ stuff and I found it fascinating. There's even a Kardasian tie in.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    OJ didn't do it, but if he did, well then thats not good that he got away with it, if he did. But if he didn't thats also good then.
    Hi

Deleted
    I would love to watch this documentary. I've always been interested in murder cases and docs about things that daily life rather avoids. To bad I live in Europe. Reminds me of the whole Michael Jackson trial that was aired worldwide. It also shows me how wrong the jury-system is in America and everyone, even tough the outcome would be a conviction for sure, can get away with anything as long as they influence people (and ofcourse the other way around).
    Last edited by mmoc80711df9dc; 2016-06-21 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    OJ didn't do it, but if he did
    He wrote a book titled "If I did it"...

10+ Year Old Account
    The 30 for 30s are almost always very good. This is probably interesting and informative but I feel like I've got my fill of OJ having just watched the 1st season of American Crime Story for the 2nd time (re-watched b/c my wife didn't watch the first time around). I thought that show was amazing, and I just don't want to go through 6 more hours about OJ.

Didn't people get enough of him in real time?

- - - Updated - - -

The murder photos are what will stay with me from this documentary. I was 13 when the verdict was handed down and had no idea how horrible that scene was until now. You hear about it, but seeing Nicole's head half cut off really hammers home how awful this crime was. So much blood between the two bodies it may as well be from a horror film.

I don't know for sure one way or the other and this documentary doesn't do much to convince me, but OJ was incredibly stupid to not walk the straight and narrow after being found not guilty in the criminal trial.
    I guess getting away with murder make rich celebrities feel invincible.

I find it fascinating how in the US a group of random people from the hood can decide a fate of a person based on complex forensic/DNA evidence. They might as well be watching CSI and thinking "nope, he didnt do it IMO". Or thinking "ye he probably did it but fuck me the cops are racist!".
    Are there criminal cases involving for example hacking or fraud where those random people are giving a verdict based on complex IT or economic evidence?
    Last edited by stevenho; 2016-06-21 at 07:14 PM.

I wouldn't watch this shit, I had to deal with it on a daily basis the entire time it was a thing, fuck reliving that circus again. You think the shit media circus with the Kardashians and Kanye is bad, OJ had them all beat long before those people were a thing.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm interested; I like documentaries and the 30 for 30 series has a good reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    Didn't people get enough of him in real time?
    The original trial took place in '94. I imagine there are people here who were too young to remember it or might not have even been alive then.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Nope. Just let him rot and stop giving it more spotlight. By now almost everyone believes he did it and got away with it and giving it more attention won't do anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd recommend you still watch the last episode that goes into the aftermath of the trial. It's pretty interesting and works quite well as a companion piece to ACS.
    Hmm, I hadn't thought of that. Good idea actually, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakainen View Post
    Nope. Just let him rot and stop giving it more spotlight. By now almost everyone believes he did it and got away with it and giving it more attention won't do anything.
    I think that shows/documentaries like these are part of the reason more people believe he did it now. Some of it is definitely seeing his behavior over the past couple of decades, but I think part of it is really looking back in hindsight and separating out some of the racial tension at the time from the actual case and making it clearer for some people to look at it.