Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

For men, the importance of safe sex depends on how hot their partner is

Hmmmm, I don't think this is intentional. Is it? Is it some kind of subconscious mother nature wanting you to spread your seed kind of thing?

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/...ir-partner-is/

When it comes to men making decisions on condom use for casual sex, there may not be more to it than meets the eye.

In a survey of 51 heterosexual men between the ages of 19 and 61 published in BMJ Open, researchers found that men’s intentions to use a condom during casual sex varied based on the perceived attractiveness of their potential partner. Specifically, the more attractive a woman seemed to each participant, the lower their intention to use a condom during sex—even if the woman seemed to have a relatively higher risk of having a sexually transmitted infection.

Though the study was small, the finding backs up several others that have found that perceived hotness of a potential sex partner is a key determinant in people’s decisions on whether to have sex and have safe sex. And together, the studies suggest that discussions about people’s biases on particularly steamy flings could improve sex education.

For the study, a group of researchers in the UK started with having 51 heterosexual males take a survey about their sex lives, which revealed a wide range of experiences. For instance, the group's average age at first sexual encounter was around 18, with a minimum of 14 and a maximum at 30 years old. The group’s average number of sexual partners was around nine, with one participant reporting zero and another reporting 60.

Next, each participant was shown black-and-white pictures of 20 women’s faces and asked:

Please rate the attractiveness of the following woman
    If you were single, how likely would you be to have sex with this woman should the opportunity arise?
    If you were single and you were to have sex with this woman, how likely is it that you would use a condom?
    How likely is this woman to have an STI?
    The higher a woman’s attractiveness rating, the more men were interested in having sex with her and the less interested they were in using a condom. And attractiveness didn't link up with perceived STI risks. In fact, some men were most attracted to women they thought had a high risk of STIs, while others were highly attracted to ladies who they perceived would have a low risk of those infections.

Nevertheless, attractiveness was key to condom use. “Men who are more attracted to ‘riskier’ women are just as disinclined to wear a condom when they have sex with these women as men who are more attracted to ‘safer’ women,” the researchers found.

The findings are particularly significant in light of rising rates of STIs in the US, particularly chlamydia, syphilis, and gonorrhea. Tailored and targeted sex education campaigns that take attractiveness biases into account may help, the researchers suggest.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    The dumb ones get the STD's, cuz they don't go with protection

Natural selection at it's finest

While I suppose the findings in the study could be perceived as flattering, I have a hard time believing that attractiveness is related to condom use. Why would that be relevant at all?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    While I suppose the findings in the study could be perceived as flattering, I have a hard time believing that attractiveness is related to condom use. Why would that be relevant at all?
    Genetical bi-as to impregnate hotter people for better genetically suited off-spring.

Plain biological logic.

You could look into the subject, the amount of factors that is determined by the percieved attractiveness ; is plain absurd.
    Cause sexual creatures and biological selection process etc. etc.
    Last edited by mmoc411114546c; 2016-06-22 at 12:13 AM.

Makes perfect sense to me. Whether we resist it or not, there's a biological urge to mate that only grows larger (Literally) the more attractive the partner is, as it's a direct indication that they would be able to carry a healthy child, and therefore the necessity of safe sex seems dimmer.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Just cant wait to get your dick into....damn the situation or consequences?

I've been guilty of this. Hot chick I wanted to bang for a long time finally gave the green light, and I took it. I didn't once stop to think about waiting 15 minutes to drive to store to buy a condom, just went HAM. But I actually had known her for a while and I didn't get a "vibe" she would be unsafe... but she very well could have been.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    Just cant wait to get your dick into....damn the situation or consequences?

I've been guilty of this. Hot chick I wanted to bang for a long time finally gave the green light, and I took it. I didn't once stop to think about waiting 15 minutes to drive to store to buy a condom, just went HAM. But I actually had known her for a while and I didn't get a "vibe" she would be unsafe... but she very well could have been.
    You rationally have no way to verify that on your gut sensation, so, your "vibe" is a bi-ased guess, at best, really

Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    Genetical bi-as to impregnate hotter people for better genetically suited off-spring.

Plain biological logic.
    What? Looks can be a deciding factor when choosing a mate but the propensity of not getting a degenerative disease is higher up on the "should I bang it?" scale (apologies for the vulgar language) I would think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Men thinking with the wrong head? Who'd have thought. XD

Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    You rationally have no way to verify that on your gut sensation, so, your "vibe" is a bi-ased guess, at best, really
    She had had a long time boyfriend and wasn't very promiscuous, at least from what I saw of her. Something about having the same partner for years on end just seems safer to me, sexually speaking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do they consider BDSM safe sex?
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    What? Looks can be a deciding factor when choosing a mate but the propensity of not getting a degenerative disease is higher up on the "should I bang it?" scale (apologies for the vulgar language) I would think.
    The threat of a disease is not direct enough nor strong enough without visual implications/knowing to override sexual drive and biological bi-as to sleep with someone you find attractive, especially as that factor increases.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Some people simply don't care about various diseases unless it's actually life threatening on a short term scale. Just look at how prolific Herpes is, people don't give a shit about STDs.

Either way, primal urges can easily trump common sense when the risks or consequences are low.

condoms? just go in bare, makes it way more exciting with the danger, but after its over i am like wtf did i just do

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    She had had a long time boyfriend and wasn't very promiscuous, at least from what I saw of her. Something about having the same partner for years on end just seems safer to me, sexually speaking.
    Naturally, it would, but rationally, it does not nessecarily tell the entire story (Lack of Info versus Fact of only 1 partner = Potentionally several outcomes, but overall, i'm guessing it's a "Safer" bet, so you are right in that aspect)

Quote Originally Posted by mizeri View Post
    condoms? just go in bare, makes it way more exciting with the danger, but after its over i am like wtf did i just do
    Doing it without a condom and the guy doesn't pull out it's pretty annoying and somewhat disgusting
    Last edited by Hana Song; 2016-06-22 at 12:27 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hana Song View Post
    Doing it without a condom and the guy doesn't pull it's pretty annoying and somewhat disgusting
    According to you.

I've had partners who love it. Each to their own.

Deleted
    You don't say, lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hana Song View Post
    Doing it without a condom and the guy doesn't pull it's pretty annoying and somewhat disgusting
    nah it's super hot and the only way to have sex, it's supposed to go in there

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    You don't say, lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed. Look i'm all in favor of safe sex but the best finish you can get is the one you don't pull out.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    I think you would feel different if roles were switched