Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Unpopular Opinion: I love the content drought.

I love the content drought. It's my favorite time in wow, the time at the end of the expansion when you're powerful (geared), have a mastery of your main (and maybe a few alts), have the free time to play alts and complete old achievements or transmog sets, and have a reliable routine for dailies etc. I'm not gonna lie, the longer the better in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I'm always totally excited for new expansions (especially with how great legion is looking to be), but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't dreading having an undergeared shadow priest for the next few months following release...

Call me a casual, but each time Blizzard promises less content droughts, faster patches, and faster expansions a little piece of me secretly hopes they won't follow through.

Anyone out there agree?

I don't agree at all. Content droughts are the worst thing ever for me. Everything you list was done years and years ago already. I don't need anymore achievements I don't have, I don't need anymore xmog(besides more t3). Alts should all just burn in a fire at all times. In 2 days, it is the year anniversary of HFC. That is just plain wrong.

A couple months of "drought" while new stuff comes, sure, that's fine. A whole 14 months, however, is quite unreasonable.

My condolences that you play at a pace slower than a snail.

A Blood Elf playing furry and you think it's good to go over a year without any updates.

Huh. Does Jaylock have another account?

7+ Year Old Account
    What can I say, I have 6 max level alts, with 695 or higher ilvl that I do dailies and other activities on, none of which I paid to have boosted, and I haven't paid for my subscription since the wow token was introduced, plus my gold reserves have only been growing exponentially. I totally get why the drought sucks for some people, and how it's clearly bad business on blizzards end to not give any updates to a game after 14 months while people are actively paying for it month to month, and I really am looking forward to legion, but I do enjoy this time just as much as any other in the game.

Deleted
    Nope. I don't agree. Content droughts are cancer in a game so dependent on population like an MMO.

I don't love it, but I don't care. I just unsub. But I kind of get where you're coming from. That "personal", relaxed pace you're describing is my normal play style nowadays.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not me. I don't really need this much time to wrap up everything - I also don't do alts, so once I've done questchains and raids on my main, I'm ready for the next xpac. That said, it's handy for trying out other games, which is fun and a nice change of pace. Also it's cheaper.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Not me. I don't really need this much time to wrap up everything - I also don't do alts, so once I've done questchains and raids on my main, I'm ready for the next xpac. That said, it's handy for trying out other games, which is fun and a nice change of pace. Also it's cheaper.
    I used to not do alts either, had a few in cata, but mists made leveling alts suuuuuuuck. Most of the alts I have were leveled during this expac.

I use the content "drought" as a time to go back and get achievements, mounts, battle pets, and toys I do not have. Mainly I have been focusing on the Garrison achievements so I never have to come back to that hated place.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I agree with the OP. The "content drought" period at the end of each expansion is the time I can hop off the obnoxious "gear treadmill" and actually go out and see the world more. Goof off. Plow through old raids. Raise a battle pet army. Get flamed on MMO-Champion. Stockpile gold.

Looking forward to Legion, but I've honestly been enjoying this period of "stagnation."

Quote Originally Posted by lolbubble View Post
    My condolences that you play at a pace slower than a snail.
    Yes, because video games should all be about a race from one objective to the next, trying as hard as possible to turn a form of recreation into an unpaid second job. You're probably the guy who shouts, "gogogogogogogogogo" at the tank in a leveling dungeon when the healer is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    I use the content "drought" as a time to go back and get achievements, mounts, battle pets, and toys I do not have.
    This.

Urgh no.. especially when it began like 3 months into the expansion.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    That's not really the usual content drought. That's just Garrisons of Draenor.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    That's fair lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifritx View Post
    I used to not do alts either, had a few in cata, but mists made leveling alts suuuuuuuck. Most of the alts I have were leveled during this expac.
    I actually used to have a forsaken rogue as a main and got a death knight orc alt for a while, but around cata I transitioned to having my death knight as my main and never really went back to my other toons during mists. I've stuck with one toon since. Haven't made alts in any other MMOs either, I think one is enough for me now.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    You're a special snowflake. Happy?
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ c'est la vie

10+ Year Old Account
    some people just want to watch the world burn, some people like 13 months of hellfire citadel... it takes all types!! no judgements!
    Hi

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    some people just want to watch the world burn, some people like 13 months of hellfire citadel... it takes all types!! no judgements!
    I guess that's part of it for me, I haven't raided regularly since my guildmates all basically quit the game mid-mists. I did hfc through pugs, mostly killing archie and noone else until my ring was fully upgraded and haven't set foot in there since save for the rare occasion where a bonus loot satchel is being offered to dps in the lfr queue.