Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    What is up with this, insisting, almost burning hatred for a state of wellfare?

Are you OPPOSED to people having a good standard of living?

every time i see one of these threads, someone is making claims about how the poor should live in a X condition, cause it's "your tax money".

But i never see anyone railing on where everything else goes, where misusage of tax money and what not ; I never see anyone saying "The 1% Should pay", instead you are bickering about the Poor and that they shouldn't afford freaking Coke.

Smfh.
    Well, this is a look into the future right here. Governments are swearing up and down 8f they ever do basic income, it would only cover the basics. Snack foods are far from the basics and that's a hurdle that needs to be cleared if people want this to stand a chance of working.

If people can't stand the idea of not being able to get brand name soda and chips and fast food unless they use their own money now, how's that going to work out in the future?

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    But potato chips and Mt. Dew is food. Granted not healthy food and are lacking some vital nutrients, but they are still food. How can you exclude any food which is basically food? You would have to have a exclusion list and then we get into a big brother program which tells us what we can eat and not eat which is legal. The problem is not the food, but the food stamp program in itself. It is a 2 edged sword. It helps some and hurts some.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Do you want to live in a free society or one completely ruled by government for peoples daily life?
    the latter. most people don't know how to take care of themselves.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    What is up with this, insisting, almost burning hatred for a state of wellfare?

Are you OPPOSED to people having a good standard of living?

every time i see one of these threads, someone is making claims about how the poor should live in a X condition, cause it's "your tax money".

But i never see anyone railing on where everything else goes, where misusage of tax money and what not ; I never see anyone saying "The 1% Should pay", instead you are bickering about the Poor and that they shouldn't afford freaking Coke.

Smfh.
    If you are so generous to want to make sure someone who is having a hard time making ends meet has a flat screen TV, and a pantry full of doritos, then I suggest you start sponsoring families with your own hard earned money.

As for me, I live pay check to pay check. I buy things from thrift stores. I don't by luxury food. I don't drive an expensive car. I struggle to pay my student loans. I don't take government assistance because I can make ends meet by being frugal.

So yeah, I have my opinions on what people who are getting government assistance should be allowed to purchase.

"almost burning hatred for a state of wellfare" - Quite an exaggeration. I don't hate people on welfare, I just feel there could be better restrictions on what people can purchase.

"But i never see anyone railing on where everything else goes, where misusage of tax money and what not" - You must have missed those threads, it is a topic that can be found through enough searching. It has been discussed plenty. However this particular thread is not about that, so there is no need to discuss that right now.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

I would imagine in a state like Maine, there isn't a lot of jobs. Most of the jobs in maine are at walmart and fast food. People from maine, I would like your opinion on this. This governor of maine would be doing a better job if they were more focused on why people were qualifying for food stamps rather than trying to tell them what they can eat or drink.

10+ Year Old Account
    But that should be everyone. But it comes back to do we want to live in a free society where people are allowed to make their own choices?
    We are not a free society where everyone is allowed to make their own choices. ie: war on drugs.

Idiots who get off on power trips should not be in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    I would imagine in a state like Maine, there isn't a lot of jobs. Most of the jobs in maine are at walmart and fast food. People from maine, I would like your opinion on this. This governor of maine would be doing a better job if they were more focused on why people were qualifying for food stamps rather than trying to tell them what they can eat or drink.
    There isn't a lot he can do to bring industry back to a remote, small state.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure if it is a nation wide thing, but in NJ there are foods which are taxed, and those which are not. There are categorizations about which foods are essentials, and which are luxury. Could have welfare funded food parallel these categories.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    If you are so generous to want to make sure someone who is having a hard time making ends meet has a flat screen TV, and a pantry full of doritos, then I suggest you start sponsoring families with your own hard earned money.

As for me, I live pay check to pay check. I buy things from thrift stores. I don't by luxury food. I don't drive an expensive car. I struggle to pay my student loans. I don't take government assistance because I can make ends meet by being frugal.

So yeah, I have my opinions on what people who are getting government assistance should be allowed to purchase.

"almost burning hatred for a state of wellfare" - Quite an exaggeration. I don't hate people on welfare, I just feel there could be better restrictions on what people can purchase.

"But i never see anyone railing on where everything else goes, where misusage of tax money and what not" - You must have missed those threads, it is a topic that can be found through enough searching. It has been discussed plenty. However this particular thread is not about that, so there is no need to discuss that right now.
    I would say there is something severely wrong when you can have a job and still live so frugally.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post

What does your personal situation have to do with it?

You could be freaking bill gates and say the same thing. You "living on no luxury" holds no relevance here.

And further more, you still have not countered the argument, i asked, WHAT, is the idea - of limiting people?

If society can afford to create a system where people can have a good standard of living, by taxes, none the less - Then what is the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Well, this is a look into the future right here. Governments are swearing up and down 8f they ever do basic income, it would only cover the basics. Snack foods are far from the basics and that's a hurdle that needs to be cleared if people want this to stand a chance of working.

If people can't stand the idea of not being able to get brand name soda and chips and fast food unless they use their own money now, how's that going to work out in the future?
    Are you seriously thinking, that the economy can't bear the weight, of that people buy Snacks? Is that seriously, what you think, is a "Hurdle" in the economic system?

The poor get poorer, the rich they get richer - That say anything to you? In the land of the Free, where money can buy you out of almost anything?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    I would say there is something severely wrong when you can have a job and still live so frugally.
    NJ is disgustingly expensive. to live on your own in NJ, it would require a salary of around $50k/yr. I make just about that much. So it's pretty tough. But I am also trying to save up to get a place with my g/f, which should help a lot when I have her contributing to the finances.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Ah, Republicans are so much fun. They don't get their way, and their first instinct is always the nuclear option.

Seriously, some poor people buy a candy bar and mountain dew every now and then...this is a reason to freak out?

And people wonder why I have hard time taking many Republicans seriously anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    the latter. most people don't know how to take care of themselves.
    Gubment says no more naan for you.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

What irks me is when I walk into a grocery store and the produce section is 1/4th the size of the candy isles

Do you want to live in a free society or one completely ruled by government for peoples daily life?
    Telling people who aren't paying for their own food that they need to spend their food budgets more wisely is hardly a restriction on free society. The food gestapo in school cafeterias, however, are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Telling people who aren't paying for their own food that they need to spend their food budgets more wisely is hardly a restriction on free society. The food gestapo in school cafeterias, however, are.
    Telling the lower Social classes to not buy Mt. Dew and Snacks, whilst people argue that "They have a job and get by" - Sure reeks of freedom, when the upper class park their Yachts in Yachts, eat food covered in Gold and fly their own private jets.

10+ Year Old Account
    The thing about freedom, is that you should be free to spend the money you earned on the things you like. But if it isn't your money, then you should be expected to spend it wisely.

If my friend was living in hard times and asked for a loan to pay for food for the week, I would be disappointed if it was spent on junk food, rather than healthier options.

For the $4 it costs to buy a bag of chips, you can buy a few days worth of fruits and veggies from a farmers market in my area. A $3 bottle of soda, could get you pasta to go with those veggies, or some chicken, which could feed you for a few days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its about time people in the government start putting their foot down to welfare abuse. There is no need whatsoever that someone needs soda and junk food to survive. I just wish they would go a step further and not hand out ANY food stamps. Just issue monthly supplies of food, so people cant choose what they get and waste it on non-nutritios stuff. Hell the word nutrition is in the name of the damn program. Supplemental NUTRITION Assistance Program. Ban everything besides meat, vegetables, and dairy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Its about time people in the government start putting their foot down to welfare abuse. There is no need whatsoever that someone needs soda and junk food to survive. I just wish they would go a step further and not hand out ANY food stamps. Just issue monthly supplies of food, so people cant choose what they get and waste it on non-nutritios stuff. Hell the word nutrition is in the name of the damn program. Supplemental NUTRITION Assistance Program. Ban everything besides meat, vegetables, and dairy
    I'd be down with that.

Additionally, it has been said that in order to get this assistance, you need to be working in the first place. That means they have earned income along side of the assistance. They can still spend the money they earned on junk if they wish. Just not the the actual food stamps.