Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Then you should start by more meaningful questions first, and get to minor stuff like sexuality later.

"This is Lena Oxford, she was a pilot that-" "Yeah, yeah, whatever, does she like dick or puss?!" is the impression I get from threads like this one.
    Well you're getting the wrong impression imo. Who says sexuality is minor? If for example Widowtracer actually happens and we have this relationship between Tracer and Widow where the former tries to redeem the latter yadda yadda yadda, then whether she likes dick or puss is pretty relevant. Or maybe it won't be and it will just be a piece of trivia as irrelevant as her favourite cereal. But useless trivia like that still adds flavour to the characters and is fun to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    But things like this is so prevalent everywhere, in all fandoms.. I just really don't get it
    Shipping is silly fun, just like any fan discussion/speculation/theorycrafting. That's really all there is to it. Romantic relationships are among the most engaging and enduring of stories, and people like to have their own ideas about which ones would be fun to see in their favourite media.

Deleted
    Junkrat and Roadhog are implied to be a couple/friends with benefits/that one time when we dudebroed each other in the dark.

I'm shamelessly copy/pasting from a YouTube comment discussion on a Junkrat voice line page; https://youtu.be/g80yrGbijcA

Anyway, here's the implication. Junkrat says "Guess we know who's really on top, do we?" And a fellow commented.

"Guess we know who's really on top, do we?"
    I heard that line twice today. And both times it was triggered when an enemy Roadhog had hooked my Junkrat, but I managed to grenade him to death before he shot me. That's... quite an ambiguous line, although to be frank I struggle to find a logical not-naughty context for it.
    Somebody responded to the comment, saying;

This jewel was avoided in russian dub, so I guess we know what's really going on here ^_^
    The implication is there, and very strong. It'd be a funny twist, I think. Food for thought anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    1. 5% of the world's population is a big number. That's 1 in 20. Most people are at least acquainted with far more than 20 people so statistically everyone will have LGBTQIA identifying people in their life. Every class room at school is going to have a gay kid in it statistically (and from personal experience it could easily be much more). And as heteronormativity holds less and less sway in our society more and more people are going to identify as not straight. That's already happening. 50% young people in the UK identify as something other than heterosexual - https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/08/16...-heterosexual/

2. If someone is annoyed by me wanting more gay representation, I really don't care what they think, to be frank.

3. Because people like to see concrete representation? It's really that simple. There aren't many gay characters in the media, some more would be nice. Maybe you don't care but a lot of people do. Not everyone is confident in their sexuality and that isn't something to sneer at or belittle, those people (especially young people still figuring out their sexuality) need support. For me seeing gay characters in the media is nice. For some people seeing positive role models "like them" is incredibly important. I've already seen people saying similar things about Overwatch, about Mei and Zarya's body types, about Symmetra's autism, about how seeing themselves represented makes them feel better about themselves.
    1: That is quite a lot more than I expected, but I'm pretty sure that some of the people answering that are scoring themselves higher than they really are because it's "hip" or whatever

2: yeah, okay.

3: I personally don't understand the need for a role model.. And if Symmetra is their autistic character, I'd personally rather none, as I despise her. But yeah, I don't get people in the least, so I'm very aware I'm weird in that category.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Perhaps but Blizzard hasn't always had the best record for listening to fans or caving in to their demands. I believe they've stated its one of the current line up but for all we know they could scrap that and make it one of the new heroes just to curve ball us. /shrug
    True, Blizzard does have a pretty decent history in keeping to their original idea, at least when it comes to story and lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondercrab View Post
    Shipping is silly fun, just like any fan discussion/speculation/theorycrafting. That's really all there is to it. Romantic relationships are among the most engaging and enduring of stories, and people like to have their own ideas about which ones would be fun to see in their favourite media.
    Shipping I can understand, as long as it makes sense in their character.
    Just as a stupid example: Sherlock Holmes and Watson get shipped a fair amount, even though Watson, at least in the original, is very much straight. Things like that I don't get.
    Shipping Harry Potter and Hermoine though, that I can understand. They're both straight characters, and they've been shown to like each other (If at least like friends)

Deleted
    1: That is quite a lot more than I expected, but I'm pretty sure that some of the people answering that are scoring themselves higher than they really are because it's "hip" or whatever

2: yeah, okay.

3: I personally don't understand the need for a role model.. And if Symmetra is their autistic character, I'd personally rather none, as I despise her. But yeah, I don't get people in the least, so I'm very aware I'm weird in that category.
    If you don't need a role model that's fine. But...for some people fiction is super important. I know there's a lot of stories for example about Harry Potter helping people through depression. The same is true with gay representation. There's plenty of gay teens out there for whom gay representation is vital. And at the very least it is heartwarming to see a steady increase in the number of lgbtqia characters in the media. So I really don't have time for people who are annoyed by perceived "forced" diversity. Those people are simply selfish and unable to see outside of their own lives. For them the media is just fleeting entertainment. For the bullied, depressed and marginalised it's a vital escape.

Deleted
    I don't know which heroes I would make whatever, but I will say that the god damn family Overwatch memes with Soldier 76 being the grumpy dad are fucking hilarious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iconja View Post
    I don't know which heroes I would make whatever, but I will say that the god damn family Overwatch memes with Soldier 76 being the grumpy dad are fucking hilarious.
    I want to push the narrative that Soldier 76 is everyone's awkwardly racist uncle who generally means well, but occasionally makes you go "Sheesh, Mr. 76, sir, you're not supposed to say 'oriental' anymore".
    "Please stop talking about taking the streets back from the 'urban element' now."

On topic, though:

[Shipping intensifies]

10+ Year Old Account
    If you don't need a role model that's fine. But...for some people fiction is super important. I know there's a lot of stories for example about Harry Potter helping people through depression. The same is true with gay representation. There's plenty of gay teens out there for whom gay representation is vital. And at the very least it is heartwarming to see a steady increase in the number of lgbtqia characters in the media. So I really don't have time for people who are annoyed by perceived "forced" diversity. Those people are simply selfish and unable to see outside of their own lives. For them the media is just fleeting entertainment. For the bullied, depressed and marginalised it's a vital escape.
    As long as it's Blizzard doing the diversification, I'm all for that. I just don't see the need for fans to add their own interpretations and change a character to better find their scheme.

If people need a role model, sure, whatever. I won't understand it, but whatever makes them happy and able to tolerate the misery that is life

Seek mental help, fast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KevyB View Post
    Seek mental help, fast.
    Anyone in particular you're referring to?

D.Va stop, you're ruining the shipping

Don't care ...too busy figuring out who will help my team win/what we need to worry about anything else.
    I do not pay attention to it unless I have it foisted upon me by some fanfic / OCD sexualizing SJW trying to make a soap box moment, ....person ...and it comes across my mmo-c feed.
    Case in point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by medievalman1 View Post
    Why must sexual preference come into games like this in the first place?
    This.

Not everything is about sex and sexual preferences, ya perv.

Also, Zarya definitely 100% lesbrawn.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Deleted
    As long as it's Blizzard doing the diversification, I'm all for that. I just don't see the need for fans to add their own interpretations and change a character to better find their scheme.
    This is literally what fandoms do. With sexuality, with character personalities, all of it. It is bizarre to me that you don't see the need for fans to be invested in the world and to give their own interpretations of characters.

I ship Lucio with Hanzo.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Deleted
    sigh... if you need a role model from a shooting game then the issue is not with "having gay guys in the game".
    Holy shit.. when did we as start being to pathetic that we need these things in a fun shooting game?
    I don't remember people trowing a fit in Soldier of Fortune on where the gay guys were.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    sigh... if you need a role model from a shooting game then the issue is not with "having gay guys in the game".
    Holy shit.. when did we as start being to pathetic that we need these things in a fun shooting game?
    I don't remember people trowing a fit in Soldier of Fortune on where the gay guys were.
    Look, a lot of gay people are not mentally healthy. They're struggling with their sexuality, scared to come out, possibly abused if they do. Gay video game characters are not the most important thing in helping those people, but I believe we need to normalise homosexuality, bisexuality etc. etc. as much as possible. And in western culture we are saturated by media and entertainment, so having lots of cool badass lgbtqia characters is a great step in doing that imo. The more people see homosexuality the more normal it becomes and the more normal it becomes the easier life gets for a lot of currently very desperate people. I'm fortunate enough that my sexuality hasn't caused me much drama in my life and my friends have been very accepting of it. So for me LGBTQIA media characters is just a heartwarming luxury. But for others it's much more important. So rather than calling those people pathetic, why not actually give a damn about your fellow humans who are struggling? What do you lose? Do gay characters stop the game being fun to you?

10+ Year Old Account
    This is literally what fandoms do. With sexuality, with character personalities, all of it. It is bizarre to me that you don't see the need for fans to be invested in the world and to give their own interpretations of characters.
    I see the need for fans to be invested in the world, but not the need for fans to change the world

Quote Originally Posted by Iconja View Post
    I will say that the god damn family Overwatch memes with Soldier 76 being the grumpy dad are fucking hilarious.
    This, this, this. I hunt and search for this. Also those little D.Va gremlin comics.

I personally don't care who likes what and where.
    Member of every Blizzard beta club.

though I had seen everything on the internet