Page 19 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    I don't really feel like repeating myself. If it weren't evident at first, no repetition will make you see it.
    You seem to assumed I'm a democrat or that I like the democrats. That's really not the case.

It's the pot and kettle, reps and dems, calling one another blacker than themselves.
    It just inst the case though. If you are giving benefits to someone you have the right to say how it can be spent. In this case the government is offering a food stamp benefit, with the condition it be spent on approved foods. I dont see how that is a big government issue? If anything the food stamp program would be considered the big government program.

Republicans labor under the ridiculous belief that if they can just make the poor miserable enough, then they will finally stop being poor. Denying even the smallest of comforts or pleasures to the poor is just one of their many tactics towards that goal. Hiding it behind the veil of "better health" is just disingenuous.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I'll have a few beers socially at a party. But my daily drink is just water.
    You should try seltzer water. It's kind of an acquired taste, but if all you drink is water, I think you'd like it. Lemon/lime Perrier is my favorite. Never drink it warm though, it tastes awful that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriani View Post
    Republicans labor under the ridiculous belief that if they can just make the poor miserable enough, then they will finally stop being poor. Denying even the smallest of comforts or pleasures to the poor is just one of their many tactics towards that goal. Hiding it behind the veil of "better health" is just disingenuous.
    So do you have proof that excess amounts of sugar are now good for you?

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    and you want no food stamps because you hate republicans.
    Nowhere did I make that particular statement, so I'll try to make this a bit clearer.

I don't have any concern one way or the other regarding food stamp usage. If you're going to imply that food stamps shouldn't be allowed to purchase various forms of junk food, then those forms of food should be taxed for everyone. If you're going to imply that food stamps are some giant drain on taxpayer dollars, perhaps some other forms of 'waste' should also be looked at.

And yes, if a politician makes a suggestion on a course of action, he should be held accountable for his / her stupidity when they haven't thought of what the outcome would be. If you want to call that a "hate republican" thing, be my guest. I'd call it a bit more all-encompassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    Your initial response was about time. I can guarantee the average family has less free time than a single person. If you literally can not spend an extra 10 minutes a day, or even 40 minutes one day a week if you want to prepare meals for the week, your priorities are shit. You are making excuses to be lazy and that is probably why you are on food stamps to begin with. A single person can make enough meals to cover 3 meals a day for 7 days of non-junk food for about $30 a week. We can do a family of 3 for about $50. Tell me more about how you don't have time and buying Doritos and Mountain Dew are the best answer.
    Ain't got time for that. Not that cheaply nor that fast.

Not in the real world at least.
    Last edited by Gamdwelf; 2016-06-22 at 09:01 PM.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

As always, fitting:

Yeah kinda like how the Dems in Philly passed a sugary drink taxed based on the money being spent on Pre-school programs and such, but they forget to say that some of the money will go into pension funds and the general budget funds.

Both sides hide behind a "veil" of doing things for the betterment of some class of people. Its the only way they can pass legislation. So...Yeah.

Deleted
    This is all insane. None of that is being discussed in the thread. A healthy nation is one that makes more money and has more innovations. Because people aren't in their houses getting into food comas. Health is the first very important step to a prosperous nation, and you want no food stamps because you hate republicans? Fucking insane.

"Cutting off the nose to spite the face" comes to mind.

And people wonder why republicans and democrats are so divided. It's because people like you that will completely shit on anything they say no matter how much sense it makes.

I think its preeeeetty wierd that it'd be food stamps that cause unhealthy living. Seems a bit like attacking the wrong part of the problem. Being poor doesn't make you unhealthy. There's a lot more to it than that, but maybe that's what you're saying.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Nowhere did I make that particular statement, so I'll try to make this a bit clearer.

I don't have any concern one way or the other regarding food stamp usage. If you're going to imply that food stamps shouldn't be allowed to purchase various forms of junk food, then those forms of food should be taxed for everyone. If you're going to imply that food stamps are some giant drain on taxpayer dollars, perhaps some other forms of 'waste' should also be looked at.

And yes, if a politician makes a suggestion on a course of action, he should be held accountable for his / her stupidity when they haven't thought of what the outcome would be. If you want to call that a "hate republican" thing, be my guest. I'd call it a bit more all-encompassing.
    It's not as cut and dry as you propose. There could be many avenues you mentioned already being looked into. Food stamps seems to be one of the easier routes to take care of sooner than later. Even more so with so many things the Obamas have already wasted their time on to do essentially the same thing. It's interesting how much has already been done to try and help our country with health problems from the Obamas, yet republicans are attacked by you people when they suggest to do something.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyster View Post
    So do you have proof that excess amounts of sugar are now good for you?
    They're using Sugar as a red herring. If they wanted to approach this on a public health front there are better ways to do it that would result in better health for everyone...not just people on food stamps.

There is one thing that many people in this country want to have. Healthier options, and a cheep way to do it. Whenever either side suggest something, they get the other side jumping down their throat. It's quite hilarious actually.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    It just inst the case though. If you are giving benefits to someone you have the right to say how it can be spent. In this case the government is offering a food stamp benefit, with the condition it be spent on approved foods. I dont see how that is a big government issue? If anything the food stamp program would be considered the big government program.
    Because apparently it contains foods that aren't healthy. As if people NOT on food stamps don't buy MUCH MORE unhealthy food. But it's easy to pick on the poor and downtrodden and call them fat and lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    They're using Sugar as a red herring. If they wanted to approach this on a public health front there are better ways to do it that would result in better health for everyone...not just people on food stamps.
    They aren't attacking sugar and doing some prohibition on it. They are trying to limit what part government funding provides in it. Regardless if there is any statistical evidence that people are or aren't buying candy and sugary products, the government should remove themselves from potential with it to begin with.

It's an interesting world we live in lately where the same side that argues scientific facts to try and push agendas will move away from the same facts if it hurts them.

I also find it interesting that the start of maybe creating a better food stamps program has to be all or nothing to some of you. Question why not restrict more than sugary drinks and soda as validation it shouldn't happen, rather than a starting point to make it better.

Deleted
    There is one thing that many people in this country want to have. Healthier options, and a cheep way to do it. Whenever either side suggest something, they get the other side jumping down their throat. It's quite hilarious actually.
    Becuse this isn't about healthy choices. That that really was the case, he could to argue for much more meaningful changes than bloody food stamps.

This has nothing to do with providing healthier options for less money. It only applies to people on food stamps and does nothing to lower the cost of more healthy choices.

Here's two really basic options that would do a lot more to help people make better choices about what they eat.

- Incentivize companies to make healthier products.
    - Taxing those unhealthy products.

Deleted
    You have no argument on the subject. Hence why it isn't argued against. Your initial post was directed not even at the subject. It was essentially f republicans. Don't be hypocrite and tell someone else they should lead by example while spewing BS.

- - - Updated - - -

I bought some seltzer water on accident like a year ago. It is still sitting in my fridge.
    I don't even know why you're even in here. You're making no sense and becoming absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    This has nothing to do with providing healthier options for less money. It only applies to people on food stamps and does nothing to lower the cost of more healthy choices.

Here's two really basic options that would do a lot more to help people make better choices about what they eat.

- Incentivize companies to make healthier products.
    - Taxing those unhealthy products.
    I'm sorry. That comment wasn't directly related at this topic.

and you want no food stamps because you hate republicans?
    I think he should just end the food stamp program in his state
    Nowhere huh?

I don't have any concern one way or the other regarding food stamp usage. If you're going to imply that food stamps shouldn't be allowed to purchase various forms of junk food, then those forms of food should be taxed for everyone.
    Why? This is devoid of any logic. Getting government assistance means you're getting aid from everyone who pays taxes. Those people don't want to see you become an unhealthy drain on society. The whole purpose of food stamps is to help reduce the burden on the poor. If they don't have to worry about food, they can focus on work and fun. It shouldn't be their goal to sit on the couch and eat till they pass out while watching TV.

Stupidity? Why is it stupid to want people to not get fat off a system that's currently broken and being abused?
    Last edited by urasim; 2016-06-22 at 09:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    I don't even know why you're even in here. You're making no sense and becoming absurd.
    Is this how conversations typically go for you? Jump into a thread after someone has been arguing in here. Attack a group of people and say nothing towards the subject. Then tell them to leave? I'd like to know. Wondering if I should just ignore you now or later?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Why do people get so up in arms over what people buy in the first place?

If they waste their food stamps or whatever, they're just hurting themselves and that money is right back into the economy anyway. You shouldn't give two fucks if they spend it on healthy food or bleach.
    I think it's the hypocrisy behind it. I personally don't care if people want to buy candy with their food card. I enjoy the conversation. I do however find it illogical to attack health problems at all angles..... except what republicans want.