Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    But planning to do a thing is not the same crime as doing the thing. The best they could possibly be charged with is conspiracy.
    I know it's not the same, but I think you're all responding to the wrong thing. One poster asked why they were arrested because guns aren't illegal, and I pointed out what they were planning to with the ordinance (which some of it might be illegal) was the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I know it's not the same, but I think you're all responding to the wrong thing. One poster asked why they were arrested because guns aren't illegal, and I pointed out what they were planning to with the ordinance (which some of it might be illegal) was the problem.
    People get fed up with a system that simply won't help them. Violent criminals often go ignored, because police have 'more important' matters to attend to. It wouldn't be surprising to hear that the police had told the parents of the girl supposedly being held hostage that they couldn't do anything about the situation.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    People get fed up with a system that simply won't help them. Violent criminals often go ignored, because police have 'more important' matters to attend to. It wouldn't be surprising to hear that the police had told the parents of the girl supposedly being held hostage that they couldn't do anything about the situation.
    Wouldn't be too smart to go guns blazing into a crackden (where I assume she's at) even for the police. There's procedures to this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Narwal View Post
    What was he charged with?

We've decided as a nation that law abiding citizens can have guns, ammo, body armor, etc. He hasn't made threats against anyone, was not deemed to be looking to use those on innocents, for all we know he's decided to go into a dangerous place, you know those areas police don't like to patrol for their own safety, and in that case, he better have all that shit for self defense if he expects to get out.
    They were caught in NJ, which is very anti-gun, going into NY, which is also very anti-gun, so there's plenty of charges depending on the exact side of the line they were on. Need permits in both states, no magazines over 6 or 10 or 13 or whatever "safe" number they have now. NY doesn't even allow hollowpoints I think.

There intention, whether it was shooting up a drug den or having a gun just in case when they got the girl out, really doesn't matter much to either state I would think. Everything I've read says they were going to get this girl from a horrible situation, not that they were going to some drug den to shoot gang bangers.

Aside from that, what do you think the chances are that the cops followed up on their lead and went to look for the girl?

- - - Updated - - -

The guns aren't illegal where he came from, they are certainly illegal in NJ/NY, as well as the magazines and probably ammo.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It is not just that. Most states have laws which deal with how weapons can be transported. Knowing New York has some pretty strict gun control laws, it is not surprising they could have easily violated one of those.

For example in Ohio, the only way you can have a loaded firearm in your vehicle is if you have a CCP. Even then the firearm has to be holstered and on the person. If not, it has to be locked up in a container. Those without a CCP can not have a loaded firearm in their vehicle. Period. The ammo and firearm must be secured separately from each other with one of them being in a locked portion of the vehicle or in a locked container.

One more thing, without debating on the merits of their use of "assault rifle" rather than "assault weapon", the AR15 is a pistol.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowofVashj View Post
    cut situation I think that just screams Mental Health Reform. The poor guy loses a daughter to heroin and I guess he just sort of snapped. If he got help would this have been prevented? Just sad, the guy is a small business owner and I suppose killing hard drug dealers is a "noble" cause (he'd get a medal in South East Asia now), but now he's screwed. I mean the guy had to have known how strict NY state gun laws are, especially NYC.

Was there actually a girl in need of help? Did the cops even look into it?

Yes this is a case of mental health, but no one wants to look into that and they just wanna blame guns. Like more background checks will fix shit.

But really, I would check to see if the guns are theirs, confiscate them, and send their asses back home. Then I would go check out the address they give me and make sure some girl isn't getting whored out by a drug dealer. Seriously, did anyone even check out the story?

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    They must have finished Season 2 of Daredevil
    Exactly what i was thinking xD
    Money talks, bullshit walks..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    It is not just that. Most states have laws which deal with how weapons can be transported. Knowing New York has some pretty strict gun control laws, it is not surprising they could have easily violated one of those.

As a trigger happy 4-year-old demonstrated a few months ago. Having loaded and unsecured firearms in a vehicle is dangerous. One can see why states would pass laws to discourage it.

Also being they were caught before entering the Holland Tunnel, means they ran afoul New Jersey's gun laws.

I don't believe it at all, why would vigilantes drive a vehicle that can be seen 4 blocks away?. No way, this is a bs story.

Intention still counts. Just like the people arrested in "To Catch A Predator" stings, gearing up with the intention to do something is still a crime.
    Its not the same at all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempguy View Post

Was there actually a girl in need of help? Did the cops even look into it?

Yes this is a case of mental health, but no one wants to look into that and they just wanna blame guns. Like more background checks will fix shit.

But really, I would check to see if the guns are theirs, confiscate them, and send their asses back home. Then I would go check out the address they give me and make sure some girl isn't getting whored out by a drug dealer. Seriously, did anyone even check out the story?
    The reports I read yesterday indicated that the NYPD did go get the girl. There are conflicting details as to the exact circumstances but what does seem to be true was that her boyfriend had died of a heroin overdose (he was the one that "wasn't coming back" in the "rescuer's" tweets/fb. It sounds like a fucked up situation in that the boyfriend had previously been accused of kidnapping the same girl but that they also went on the run together for a period of months at one point. Some reports claim that the girl isn't even a heroin user herself.

Reports of around the same time stated the trio had been charged with the weapons offences (inc transporting a loaded weapon in a vehicle in NJ) and that they were also charged with possession of weed and drug paraphernalia. They had an unsuccessful hearing to try and have their bail reduced yesterday. The charges they are looking at are supposedly a mandatory 5 years penalty.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's not illegal to have guns. It is illegal to use those guns to attack other people or as a show of force. That's vigilante "justice" and not acceptable under the law. Leave that up to the people who are actually paid and trained to do it.
    "How to argue for and against gun control in a single paragraph 101"

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    i dont get what they did wrong. its illegal to have guns now? even if legally obtained?
    Those types of guns are simply illegal to have in New York

Their intentions were good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudkobing View Post
    Their intentions were good.