Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    I think its preeeeetty wierd that it'd be food stamps that cause unhealthy living. Seems a bit like attacking the wrong part of the problem. Being poor doesn't make you unhealthy. There's a lot more to it than that, but maybe that's what you're saying.
    I can't force people to stop selling things. But I can advocate where my tax dollar goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyster View Post

I think it's the hypocrisy behind it. I personally don't care if people want to buy candy with their food card. I enjoy the conversation. I do however find it illogical to attack health problems at all angles..... except what republicans want.
    Maybe because they aren't actually attacking Health problems. If they were they'd be looking at ways to help everyone make healthier choices...not just those using food stamps.

The hypocrisy you speak of is coming, once again, from the Republicans. They're all for removing government restrictions when it comes to corporations...but when it comes to actual people...that story changes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Maybe because they aren't actually attacking Health problems. If they were they'd be looking at ways to help everyone make healthier choices...not just those using food stamps.

The hypocrisy you speak of is coming, once again, from the Republicans. They're all for removing government restrictions when it comes to corporations...but when it comes to actual people...that story changes.
    YES! EXACTLY! This is the hypocricy I talk about! This is why it makes no sense!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    Nowhere huh?

Why? This is devoid of any logic. Getting government assistance means you're getting aid from everyone who pays taxes. Those people don't want to see you become an unhealthy drain on society. The whole purpose of food stamps is to help reduce the burden on the poor. If they don't have to worry about food, they can focus on work and fun. It shouldn't be their goal to sit on the couch and eat till they pass out while watching TV.

Stupidity? Why is it stupid to want people to not get fat off a system that's currently broken and being abused?
    What everyone else that's getting fat without them? Food stamps aren't the problem.

Explain how being part in someone possibly consuming something scientifically backed to be unhealthy as not attacking health problems? Oh wait, because republican.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    What everyone else that's getting fat without them? Food stamps aren't the problem.
    So, you're saying that fat people don't get fatter off free money from the government? How do you explain fat people who can't get off the couch still able to get food? Where's that money coming from?

I know plenty of thin people who work and also drink a few sodas every once in a while. So it's not solely the foods fault. It's the weak people that we're enabling.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    I see so I'm not allowed to disagree with you?
    Do what you want, am I not allowed to think you are full of it?
    READ and be less Ignorant.

We could, I don't know, stop subsidizing sugar and corn?

Not sure what goes through people's minds when they get upset over what others eat. If they want to waste money on candy and t-bone steaks, they will learn the stupididty on their spending when they tap out the first 2 weeks of shopping.

I am actually for the idea of Sugar Tax though. Incentive's to promote healthier eating while funding the government is a good idea in my eyes.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Why do people get so up in arms over what people buy in the first place?

If they waste their food stamps or whatever, they're just hurting themselves and that money is right back into the economy anyway. You shouldn't give two fucks if they spend it on healthy food or bleach.
    Exactlt this. I don't get it tbh. Food Stamps are not given out as a limitless debit card, they are allocated a certain amount for food every month. If you think the amount allocated is too high, then that's another story.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Hey, woah, woah...uh...*nervous laugh*...now that's just crazy talk!

just keep picking on the poor people, they're the real bad guys here. Don't go looking at taxpayer funded subsidies or anything! Move along, citizen!
    I have this dumb issue where I look at a problem and come up with an solution.

It doesn't make for good forum banter, nor do I get to feel better about myself by shitting on people doing slightly less well than I.

No shortage of people who aren't getting food stamps who are fat, too.

Or are we seriously trying to make, "Being fat is another thing that only poor people do." an actual thing?
    So, are you saying that people who work hard shouldn't have a say in what they eat or how fat they can get? This thread is about food stamps not people working and eating what they want because they fucking earned it.

Morbidly obese people are not working, but they get supported by the government. Being poor and morbidly obese makes an individual a drain on society that will, in all likelihood, never contribute to it.

Nowhere did I say that poor people are the only ones that are fat. That's bullshit and you know it.

If you keep doing things like that, then I think we might need to consider enrolling you in...*ahem*...enhanced education, citizen.

There are no problems, and solutions are provided to you via the television. Please do not go about searching for ideas other than the ones provided to you.
    I bet that's my problem. I dropped cable 8 years ago.

I need more football and corn syrup.

Explain how being part in someone possibly consuming something scientifically backed to be unhealthy as not attacking health problems? Oh wait, because republican.
    Because, once again, it doesn't address the issue of the food itself being unhealthy, doesn't help anyone that isn't on food stamps make healthier choices and does nothing to help people on food stamps afford healthier options.

The other half of the issue is education. Not even just general nutrition. The amount of people that lack food preparation knowledge is more than there should be. This goes to the beans and rice folks that bring that up every fucking time.

Saying "Fuck you" to poor folks isn't a fix, unless you wanted to feel better about your mediocre existence.

Because, once again, it doesn't address the issue of the food itself being unhealthy, doesn't help anyone that isn't on food stamps make healthier choices and does nothing to help people on food stamps afford healthier options.
    Food isn't inherently the problem. It's people. What exactly are you advocating here? Do you want a ban on things because some fat people can't hold themselves back?

Food isn't inherently the problem. It's people. What exactly are you advocating here? Do you want a ban on things because some fat people can't hold themselves back?
    You can certainly stop subsidizing the industries actively trying to kill the citizenry one dead foot at a time.

Not at all. How did you manage to pull an idea like that out of what I said? That's some serious Word Alchemy you got going on.

It addresses an issue. That is the problem. You think if there is no fix for the whole, there should be no fix.

So do you have proof that excess amounts of sugar are now good for you?
    So do you have proof that having a candy bar or a soda every once in a while constitutes an "excess amount of sugar"?

Do you also have proof that people are using food stamps to buy excessive amounts of sugary foods?

I didn't think so.

It addresses an issue. That is the problem. You think if there is no fix for the whole, there should be no fix.
    I think that if the Governor was actually serious about treating this as a Public Health Crisis...he'd be looking at solutions that affect more than a small percent of the population of his state. Instead he'd be looking at way sto help people make better choices. Preventing people from buying candy and coca-cola isn't going to make them suddenly eat healthier. The real problem is it's not easy to eat Healthy on the cheap.

I mean, the State representaive Drew Gattine summed it up perfectly:

“This just seems to me to be just the governor trying to pick a fight with the feds,” said Gattine. “Nobody thinks that people on food stamps should be buying snack food and candy and sugary drinks. What we really need to do is find a way to make healthy food more affordable.