Thread: Gtx 1080

Page 85 of 103 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    $200 mark up do it. >.>

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I honestly wonder if it potentially needs a new driver update or firmware update or something... Interesting results though. Or could that result be finally reaching the limits of the CPU? Isn't BF3 pretty CPU-intensive as well as GPU-intensive?
    It's not just about how GPU intensive it is, though - it's down to how much data the second card has to transfer to the first. At peak, anything short of 4K just doesn't come close to saturating the single SLI connector's bandwidth - hence, the HB has no benefit.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

Deleted
    People say 379$ for GTX 1070 but I see 449$, how come?

Quote Originally Posted by Adoxum View Post
    Nvidia increasing prices because people will buy it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mercs213 View Post
    Some people are waiting for a 10 series GPU from nvidia to finish their build and actually GAME. I see it as an A-hole move to profit from the lack of supply currently when someone else could have the GPU and actually use it. I dislike scalpers greatly, nothing personal.
    If you want it now, but do not have the time to be there when they on on sale, you pay the price. All these people are selling is basically their time to buy the first ones available. If you don't have the time to do that yourself, but want it right now anyway, you buy it from ebay from one of these guys, If you don't want to pay the inflated price, then you wait until the supply issues go away and get one.

Scalping is something else entirely though. There is limited supply of tickets and no more can or will be created. There will be more cards at lower prices in a few weeks/months. Tickets to a concert though are gone once they are sold. Once the concert has come on gone, that opportunity has passed. Two entirely different situations which can not be compared.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    If you want it now, but do not have the time to be there when they on on sale, you pay the price. All these people are selling is basically their time to buy the first ones available. If you don't have the time to do that yourself, but want it right now anyway, you buy it from ebay from one of these guys, If you don't want to pay the inflated price, then you wait until the supply issues go away and get one.

Scalping is something else entirely though. There is limited supply of tickets and no more can or will be created. There will be more cards at lower prices in a few weeks/months. Tickets to a concert though are gone once they are sold. Once the concert has come on gone, that opportunity has passed. Two entirely different situations which can not be compared.
    This^^ Capitalism at it's best. /sniff smell that, that's the American engine at work.

blah blah. you know what i mean. scalping is buying goods and reselling at at a higher price doesn't need to be tickets, rofl. jesus
    It's smart, I don't see what's wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Noctifer616 View Post
    It's smart, I don't see what's wrong with it.
    It's also a dick move.

10+ Year Old Account
    This pricing sucks, it's nearly a month and no sight of prices being reduced :/

I just want a 1080 to go with my new monitor

All the custom cards are either on pre order or overdue at like £200 more than they should be :S

blah blah. you know what i mean. scalping is buying goods and reselling at at a higher price doesn't need to be tickets, rofl. jesus
    Unless you are referring to Scalping as used by stock market traders:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalping_(trading)
    Which you are not, then yes, it is tickets to events:
    From googling "Scalping"
    scalp
    skalp/
    verbhistorical
    gerund or present participle: scalping

take the scalp of (an enemy).
    informal
    punish severely.
    "if I ever heard anybody doing that, I'd scalp them"
    North Americaninformal
    sell (a ticket) for a popular event at a price higher than the official one.
    "tickets were scalped for forty times their face value"
    Specifically mentions tickets to events. Events meaning a limited time thing that once gone is no longer available. Yes, this tactic is dirty, ugly and illegal in most places. However, there is nothing wrong with buying items while there is limited supply and reselling them at a higher price. It's not like with an event where that is the only opportunity ever to see that event. There will be plenty of these cards made and people will be able to get them cheaper in just a few short weeks. If they can't wait, that's on them. If you can't get tickets to an event because it's sold out, it's an entirely different situation. What they are doing with these cards is not scalping.

10+ Year Old Account
    People like you are disgusting. Oh and after eBay, PP fees and shipping fees you are likely to even break or just make maybe 50$.
    I've never done it, but I so would if I had the opportunity. Don't blame the player, blame Nvidia. Cause there's no way in hell they had enough supplies of the 1080/1070's, intend or unintended. These Pascal cards were slapped together at the last minute. I refuse to believe these are really Pascal.

But hey, if you really want the 1080/1070 so badly just go on Ebay and pay up, cause you're a tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adoxum View Post
    #1 Cause Founders Edition made it OK for online sites to gouge the shit out of these products.

#2 New graphic cards are always higher in price than MSRP.

#3 Limited supply from Nvidia will drive supply down, and demand up. Oldest trick in the sales book.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    These Pascal cards were slapped together at the last minute. I refuse to believe these are really Pascal.
    Based on what?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenny View Post
    Based on what?
    #1 They perform very much like Maxwell cards, in terms of DX12.

#2 A picture of the chip die is very much like Maxwell, if not a clone.

#3 The sudden appearance of the 1070/1080 without any actual supplies, suggests they just took Maxwell and added some tweaks. Hence the price gouging.

Based on what?
    The current supply of the cards is kinda pointing at that direction.

Also we were supposed to have HBM2 cards this summer, but due to delays and the high prices they got pushed back. I really doubt Nvidia had plans for non-HBM2 x70 and x80 cards. AMD certainly didn't seem to have plans for 490/Fury gen2 without HBM2 and they didn't even bother to make any after the delay was certain.

Based on what?

Here's an article from 9 months ago that explains Volta was originally intended to be the Maxwell replacement. Since Volta was designed with HCM in mind and HCM was delayed, they replaced it with HBM and Pascal was born. Obviously, even that did not really come to fruition, but at the time of that article, they also said Pascal was supposed to launch in 2016, but the second half of the year. Granted, the second half of the year starts in a little over a week, but these things launched in the first half of the year. NVIDIA clearly rushed this stuff out the door for some reason. Likely because of the Polaris 10 rumors and they were worried AMD would beat them to the market this time around.

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-volta-succeed-pascal-2018/

#3 The sudden appearance of the 1070/1080 without any actual supplies, suggests they just took Maxwell and added some tweaks. Hence the price gouging.
    Thing is they still perform, 1070 at 980ti/Titan X or a little more than that. The 1080 has no equal performance card to compare to other than SLI cards of course.
    So regardless if it is a Maxwell rehash the performance gains are still there, Especially if you're coming from a 970 or 980. Hell if prices were better on the 1080 I could argue the 980ti, but that's not the case. As for price gouging, It's rampant atm due to AMD not releasing their higher end cards to compete with Nvidia. So we're left with Nvidia choosing whatever asshole prices they feel along with their board partners. Gotta love capitalism.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigvizz View Post
    Thing is they still perform, 1070 at 980ti/Titan X or a little more than that. The 1080 has no equal performance card to compare to other than SLI cards of course.
    So regardless if it is a Maxwell rehash the performance gains are still there, Especially if you're coming from a 970 or 980. Hell if prices were better on the 1080 I could argue the 980ti, but that's not the case. As for price gouging, It's rampant atm due to AMD not releasing their higher end cards to compete with Nvidia. So we're left with Nvidia choosing whatever asshole prices they feel along with their board partners. Gotta love capitalism.
    I'm not saying the 1080/1070 don't perform, but that they're not exactly new engineering. Most of the performance can be attributed to the move from 28nm to 16nm FinFET. That is something Global Foundries had more to do with than Nvidia's engineering.

The price gouging is attributed to many factors. AMD's lack of competition is certainly one of them but not the biggest factor. Founders Edition is Nvidia giving themselves the right to wallet rape you. That can be because they knew AMD would have nothing to compete in that product range. But they also knew there would be limited supply. Hence the creation of the FE cards. They know their fan base pretty well enough to jack up prices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just cause it'd probably be brought up or whatever. I doubt I'm the only one, but when it comes to tech regardless of semantics or classification or whatever, I'm one of those enthusiast that like tech progressions, especially monitors, :P. I'm not a performance chaser though. Stuff like AMD and Intel collaboration to bring external GPU as a feasible solution is a great example. AMD/Hynix HBM, Micron HMC, Intel/Micron Xpoint and such for the memory portion. These are the things I like to see, and that's personally why I was disappointed to see "Pascal" in GP104 instead of the Pascal in P100.

It sounds weird but even if something is slower but brings more change or new stuff, it interest me more than a faster of an old tech.
    Even outside of business practice related stuff, Nvidia bores me from a tech standpoint. Nvlink is probably the only thing of note recently in my opinion but that's about it.

Deleted
    Am I the only one who is slightly annoyed that these cards are still really overpriced and still low on supply? Here in the Netherlands you can barely find a store with stock, and those who have one have an insane margin on the product.

10+ Year Old Account

1. They do not, pascal has some great improvements in DX12, just check any 1070 review. The 1070 is roughly as powerful as a 980ti in DX11 but gains around 20% in Ashes with Async enabled.

2. Very similar yes, just like how Maxwell was very similar to Keplar. But the chips do have key differences.

3. The card has had more supplied to retail then the previous 2 generations, the lack of stock is due to how insanely popular both are.