Poll: What should be done with heirlooms?

Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mefistophelis View Post
    This poster hits the spot. Leveling is just another arduous wall you gotta hop before you get to the max level experience. They should take a long hard look at low level content before they do anything to the heirlooms.
    Absolutely agree with this, and from Blizz's response I think it's the direction they're looking in, too. It's not that leveling is too quick - it's that it isn't much fun, and that it's not a challenge with or without heirlooms. If they found a way to make leveling more challenging and better paced, that would fix the real issues with the system.

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Heirlooms are the equivalent of hitting ~ and typing TGM on a Bethesda game. If this was a single player game, then sure. But it isn't.

In a competitive multiplayer game there should be no officially sanctioned cheat method. It isn't so much "if you don't like them, don't use them" as much as it is "if they exist, you will use them."

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    They shouldn't be changed. People that enjoy fast leveling shouldn't have to deal with slow leveling again because some people don't have the self-control to just NOT wear heirlooms....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Telomerase View Post
    Heirlooms are the equivalent of hitting ~ and typing TGM on a Bethesda game. If this was a single player game, then sure. But it isn't.

In a competitive multiplayer game there should be no officially sanctioned cheat method. It isn't so much "if you don't like them, don't use them" as much as it is "if they exist, you will use them."
    Cheat Codes exist in many games and I think I've only ever used them in GTA just to fuck around. If people feel forced to use Heirlooms when they don't want to, that is called poor self control.

Keep the XP bonus but make them green quality and unenchantable.

Fixing heirlooms is merely a short-term solution to the underlying issues with the leveling process. Regardless, the first step involves the removal of the XP bonus on the heirlooms that's coupled with the introduction of an XP potion for the individuals that want to retain the added speed. The second step involves the introduction of additional heirlooms for the remaining slots (at this point, I should be able to acquire and use as many heirlooms as I like, and my alternates should be able to be in full heirlooms - which, of course, was the original intent of the system, i.e. to stop forcing the veterans to search for gear while leveling). The third step involves a potential gating of their use (although, to be fair, I'm not in favor of this, but it's already in the game with the heirloom leveling system). The final step revolves around a total revamp of the out-of-date content/leveling process, but that's a topic for another thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Keep the XP bonus but make them green quality and unenchantable.
    I'll agree with the enchant proposal, but I'm unsure about the proposal to make them green quality. Although, to be fair, that would open up the usage of acquired items while leveling.

There is no valid reason to make any changes to heirlooms whatsoever.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Deleted
    make leveling fun and rewarding maybe then people would not want to rush through it and forget it that leveling ever happened.
    right now leveling is nothing else then a Wall that slows you down to get to the real fun and meaningful content.

Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    There is no need to change anything. If you want to level "the normal way" just don't use heirlooms. Heirlooms are made for people who want to get through leveling faster.

- - - Updated - - -

Also this.
    No, the heirlooms were made for people to have decent gear while they leveled versus the constant search for items that existed beforehand (the added XP bonus was merely an additional perk, and it should be removed from the items).

Quote Originally Posted by Myrok View Post
    No, the heirlooms were made for people to have decent gear while they leveled versus the constant search for items that existed beforehand (the added XP bonus was merely an additional perk, and it should be removed from the items).
    The heirloom gear was intended for both things, so you have good gear and a faster leveling time

Why should Herilooms be nerfed? What is the point in that?

Right now Heirlooms are more difficult to acquire than ever, with all the upgrades needed to make them work. As pieces of gear, they are barely more effective than the stuff you would be wearing anyway, and with the item squish their power feels pointless from BC till MoP. If you remove leveling bonuses from Heirlooms, which are the ONLY things that make them worth a damn, you just remove heirlooms. And why remove something you just have an OPTION to get? If somebody wants to speed up leveling by allocating time in farming gold for heirlooms, that's his choice.

Leave them alone, if you don't like them don't use them.

Since there is no "keep them the way they are" option, I chose others.

Quote Originally Posted by hyphnos View Post
    LOL, and you just proved my point. You claim that a choice that exists in reality, does not, because "insert reason here". You are free to level without heirlooms and if you can't control yourself, go see the movie, get a free copy of WoW and put it on a new battlenet without heirlooms or better yet just do the thing your profess YOU enjoy. If you can't enjoy levelling slowly because other people choose differently, then that is your personal issue but it doesn't alter REALITY, which is that you can level without heirlooms if you wanted to. You just don't and you want to blame it on having a choice that you claim to be incapable of making which is on it's face completely and utterly ridiculous. If you can't "choose" to play a video game how you want, then god help you in real life.
    I have over twenty characters at level 100, and I've leveled those with and without heirlooms. For the ones without the heirlooms, I always come in at 3 levels behind where I would normally be at with heirlooms, so your argument against their proposals is moot. Heirloom XP is just one of the many issues with the leveling process, and it's the easiest to solve. The real difficulty involves revamping the content to make it more appealing to levelers/altoholics and non-levelers/altoholics alike. Regardless, the game is in such a state that it needs to be relaunched as WoW II.
    Last edited by In Ogres We Trust; 2016-06-23 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrok View Post
    That's your opinion, not a fact.

Heirlooms are ok. Don't want fast leveling? You have an option to level without Heirlooms. What game needs: XP gain should be decreased a little bit, but this change should be compensated via providing full Heirloom sets.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

10+ Year Old Account
    Other: They should just get rid of Heirloom gear, if anything make it low level transmog gear or a passive buff that increases XP%

Gear was a lot more rewarding leveling up when it dropped off random mobs or dungeon bosses. Since you can get the off pieces from the dungeon satchels it completely takes away the joy of winning a roll on something you can use.

Quote Originally Posted by Kantoro View Post
    I will never understand why people complain about removing optional content.

Optional is optional, don't like it, don't use it.
    ^ What this man here is saying. Why the fuss ? don't like it don't get it (saves you gold too!)

Heirlooms should have XP bonus reduced to 1% per piece, and they should be tuned to be slightly worse than blue quality gear of the current level. The problem with them is they tend to be the single strongest item in their slots throughout the entire pre TBC experiece, even in the rare cases where there is a better item at the current level you're likely to have an enchant on your heirloom making it still stronger.

The game is already easy enough that as a hunter you can level up in pure white gear and have a much easier experience than someone using greens/blues levelling up during Vanilla-WOTLK, not to mention you'd hit max level 20x faster now compared to even in WOTLK. But then do people really want a long and slow and involving levelling experience? Or are they just trying to power up another character to use at max level?

The low level experience requires a lot of people to be playing and levelling for it to be worthwhile, that's why private server levelling experiences are so good.. Because it takes fucking forever to level and there are hundreds/thousands of people around you levelling at the same time, the endgame becomes irrelevant because the levelling game is 100% involved.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by socialmaker View Post
    ^ What this man here is saying. Why the fuss ? don't like it don't get it (saves you gold too!)
    i don't think its really an option.

most people who play alts want to get max ASAP. What is the Quickest way? Experience Multipliers, Heirlooms, Rest Experience, RaF and the XP Elixer, a combination of these will get your alt to max in no time. So in the end everyone is going to use heirlooms.

How ever it does get boring wearing the same gear till like level 85?

Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    That's your opinion, not a fact.
    No, that's not an opinion; that's a statement on the issue that's directly from the mouth of Blizzard. The heirlooms were put into the game to remove the tediousness of acquiring new gear, and the XP perks were, along with the XP reductions, added to aid in the leveling process - as their goal was to get everyone to the endgame/current content. Apparently, Blizzard agrees that - since this negated a large segment of their content as well as alienated a large segment of the population that enjoys the journey over the endgame reward - this was a bad move.