Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kae View Post
    You're completely missing the difference between gameplay and story.
    No, I'm saying that it's stupid to have one at all. The game didn't originally, and it was stupid to add one. The only reason they did it was so idiots could feel proud of non-accomplishments to increase the likelihood of those people staying subbed.

And your only justification for this is so because you'd feel annoyed over doing things that still are in the game.

We were always the heroes, there was just a lot stupid contrivance to pretend we weren't. For an RPG the amounts of suspension of disbelieve required was always through the roof (thanks to the MMO part), they just finally stopped pretending. The existence of other players (especially ones in similar roles) never made sense in terms of the narrative, PvP never made sense, most dungeons and raids barely make sense. Bitching about us being the heroes is just laughable, really.

Deleted
    No, it is not. If I wanted to be the hero of the world, I would play a singleplayer RPG.

just because the game defines you as a hero doesn't mean you are one.. you think the shitters that still don't have mythic arch down are "heroes?"

get real

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrif View Post
    No, I'm saying that it's stupid to have one at all. The game didn't originally, and it was stupid to add one. The only reason they did it was so idiots could feel proud of non-accomplishments to increase the likelihood of those people staying subbed.

And your only justification for this is so because you'd feel annoyed over doing things that still are in the game.
    It's stupid to have a story at all?

I mean, I completely disagree with that, but I guess that comes down to nothing but a matter of opinion and what you want out of a game.

That said, the original game had plenty of story, it was just more subtle and you had to read every quest text to follow it because there was very little ingame presentation, cinematics or dialogue.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    The question is how would any of you make this work over 12 years and 6 xpacs?
    Exactly, if you care about the story (which is the only reason to complain anyway) how have you not managed to get a head canon going? I started back in vanilla to pretend other people besides my guild are background noise when it comes to the story. Heck I think of my alts as my canon guild/raid group :P. We saved the world countless times, beaten back insurrections, infiltrated the enemy and laid waste to their ranks and bases, if you want to enjoy the story either your character is a different guy all the time or we are heroes. It's an MMO, you have to make this shit up yourselves or ignore it altogether if you care :P.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2016-06-23 at 09:40 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly at this point, after playing for 11 years and killing every evil bitch from Ragnaros to Deathwing to Archimonde, I personally think it'd feel pretty ridiculous if we still turned up in each expansion and were told "Get in line grunt. Go harvest me 4 flowers and kill 10 rats and I'll give you 8 copper."
    Yeah, it's much better now: "Oh! The hero have arrived! We are saved! Please oh great hero help us! The mighty rats have occupied the flower fields, can you please drive them away and if it's not that big of a deal - harvest some flowers while you are at it? All our flower-harvesters have been killed by rats! We will give you all that we have which is 8 copper."
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Yeah, it's much better now: "Oh! The hero have arrived! We are saved! Please oh great hero help us! The mighty rats have occupied the flower fields, can you please drive them away and if it's not that big of a deal - harvest some flowers while you are at it? All our flower-harvesters have been killed by rats! We will give you all that we have which is 8 copper."
    Want to link me this quest?

Hyperbole doesn't help your case.

Great, you don't like story. I enjoy the new more narrative heavy questing experiences, personally, and I thought the WoD levelling was very enjoyable. Many other people did too. Can't please everyone.

I personally find big open sandbox MMOs where you just grind and kill things all day and "make your own content" too aimless for me, but other people enjoy those a lot. I'm not going to judge you.

It's stupid to have a story at all?
    No, it's stupid to have the story unnecessarily diverge so much from the gameplay.

And I'm not saying we still have to be faceless no-name adventurers. We could, and probably should, have a reputation at this point. But the One And Only tasked with leading the only resistance against the Iron Horde? Or a Class Leader? What's next, faction leader? At this point, it wouldn't surprise me.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Want to link me this quest?
    After you. Obviously.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    After you. Obviously.
    Thought so

It's a shit idea. It's unsustainable.

Champion -> Hero -> Horde General -> Cross-Faction Class Leader -> ??? -> Jesus#34674332431.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2016-06-23 at 10:48 AM.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I think so. After all this time, we should be something else than "that guy who killed 10 boars".

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victorya View Post
    I think so. After all this time, we should be something else than "that guy who killed 10 boars".
    Well it is kinda boring when miljons of players is the great hero of azeroth(like thrall or malfurion and so on).

I think the normal player should be a Hero of the people that helps whit the "smaller" things & takes out the plans and underguys for the great evil dudes.

The problem, as I see it, is Blizzard constantly focusing on wrong demographic of players to focus the game over them. In everything, be it story, pve, pvp, class changes, transmog limitations, tier set designs, everything. That's why everything is going from bad to worse after WotLK.

Remember, that Legion is made by the same devs who made WoD and called 6.1 the "content" patch.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrif View Post
    No, it's stupid to have the story unnecessarily diverge so much from the gameplay.
    So you would have wanted the raid and Akama to switch places, so you hold the stairs from random guys while he kills Illidan? You wanted to be frozen in Tirion's place while he killed Arthas?

After we killed every god, demi-god, Aspect known to man on the planet and some other planets, it wouldn't make sense for us to be anything less than class leaders.
    Last edited by mmoc5337f9d117; 2016-06-23 at 11:14 AM.

At the end of the day. It doesn't matter at all. This games immersion went out of the window years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by soulzek View Post
    Because there is no longer a world of warcraft. You are just playing a progression excel-sheet MMO with a warcraft skin now.
    You've never played EVE.

Quote Originally Posted by Bambs View Post
    After we killed every god, demi-god, Aspect known to man on the planet and some other planets, it wouldn't make sense for us to be anything less than class leaders.
    We have never killed any god, demi-god or aspect though.

If by Gods you mean Old Gods, they were severely weakened/imprisoned/dead. If by aspect you mean Malygos, he was pretty much defeated by Alex's dragons. If you mean Deathwing, he was defeated by Thrall with the Dragon Soul. Same goes for Arthas who was defeated by Tirion (since in case you forgot, that encounter ends with him one-shotting you once he finds you "worthy"), Illidan who was defeated by Maiev, and so on and so forth.

The best we've done is being 1/25th of the force who killed a dragon, kind of. Or banished an elemental lord.

Deleted
    The thing is we have always been the hero. We killed every big boss of the game.

And if we eventually fight Sargeras then we must be some kind of hero to do it.

I think they are trying to prepare us for the fight of Sargeras. They are making us true heroes with Legendary weapons and everything.
    Eventually we will have the power to fight the biggest threat of the World...of Warcraft.