Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    No, Overwatch is not going to be taking off as a MLG. Blizz could always dump a ton of money into it, but they we would only start making fun of them for overestimating the value of even being a MLG game. It really isn't that big of a deal.

Low skill ceiling mostly hurts the game, but I made a long thread about that problem before the game even came out. The 20 tics and ridiculous hit boxes alone have already damaged the games reputation in the pro-gaming crowd. Blizzard Balance (TM) is always going to be off, and their unique way of doing things with a rock paper scissor balancing is just unappealing because of what it forces people to do if they want an equal playing field. This isn't the making of a serious e-sports contender and Blizzard shouldn't try to force it to be. Their crowd is with the casual gamers and they should stick with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I don't mind your definition, either.

It still does not apply to Overwatch gameplay. The outcome of any particular shot is entirely predictable. The outcome of a game is unpredictable, but any competitive game needs that. Because otherwise, there's no point in watching; the obvious victor will win and there's no point. Competitive gaming is a fun experience because outcomes are unpredictable and down to player skill, moment by moment.

So you're wrong, either way, depending on if you were referring to gameplay elements (not random at all), or the outcomes of a given match (which should be unpredictable, or playing them is a waste of everyone's time).
    "I'm not butthurt"

Haha, yeah alright then bud.

I mean Blizzard owns MLG lol wont that alone make it successful in MLG?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nofunallowed View Post
    "I'm not butthurt"

Haha, yeah alright then bud.
    You're the one who's getting hot under the collar and calling other people names, dude. Methinks you're projecting.

You're the one who's getting hot under the collar and calling other people names, dude. Methinks you're projecting.
    I am? I can't see me calling you names anywhere frankly. But I guess considering you're talking about projecting it takes one to know one.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am? I can't see me calling you names anywhere frankly. But I guess considering you're talking about projecting it takes one to know one.
    You're starting to sound extremely butthurt with all the ad hominem shit you post.
    Are you content just regurgitating the same crap because you think it makes what you say relevant?
    are you legitimately dumb?
    Or maybe you're so extremely butthurt

Yeah, you've been an innocent and pleasant angel throughout this thread.

League has swings but they're not as significant to the outcome of the whole game as a team wipe would be in overwatch. Said team wipes very easily caused by a chain of ultimates. Whereas in League you can not only survive that but you can much more easily see it coming which allows for much more counterplay than to just press your own Q and hope you don't die while stuck in Zarya's gravity well. Not to mention there's also items in League that allows you to build for countering certain characters and their abilities, something which Overwatch lacks.

Anyways, point is I don't think the game is good for MLG play. You obviously disagree. I really can't be bothered debating this anymore when people like Endus and Bovine would rather get that hung up on the use of a word they think was incorrect (when it wasn't) than the message I was trying to get across.
    But does League also have a character that's literally made to counter team wipes? (Mercy)

All it takes for Mercy to survive a black hole is for one person to not be stuck in it, then she can jump out.

Yeah, you've been an innocent and pleasant angel throughout this thread.
    Just like you with your repeated implications of me not understanding what I'm talking about huh?

By the way none of those are namecalling, arguably the only one would be when I said dumb (which wasn't to you) and that was a legitimate question considering he still refused to take my word for it despite that the factual explanation was right there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    But does League also have a character that's literally made to counter team wipes? (Mercy)

All it takes for Mercy to survive a black hole is for one person to not be stuck in it, then she can jump out.
    Never said it was impossible to recover, but that's still just a single character and if she's the first to die (which she most likely will) then it won't really help them. Even if it did the enemy team could just try again and this time putting down their ults on top of the Mercy. I've seen it happen so many times in my own games where one side is winning defense quite reliably and then suddenly gets wiped and lose at the last minute due to an ultimate chain. I see no reason why the same wouldn't happen in competitive MLG play since you still have teams there that are clearly better than their opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post

Soraka can sorta prevent teamwipes with her ult (team wide heal that increases by 50% if they are below 40% health so it can be pretty massive), but it's nowhere near as strong as Mercy's (obviously). And League most certainly has had massive game changing swings where the "winning" team has had one bad fight (usually through their own errors) and lost the game swiftly off of that one fight even though they were ahead by 5-15k in the previous 20 minutes of play, so Nofun's claim is completely unfounded. But there really is zero randomness to Overwatch outside of map picking for standard play, meanwhile in the tournaments they allow teams to ban specific maps and then have the play on the remainder so the only factor that was random is effectively removed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just like you with your repeated implications of me not understanding what I'm talking about huh?
    Not at all. You're using a word incorrectly, and I'm just pointing that out. Saying you can't predict the paths of Scatter Shot was also not a slur, since they look chaotic, but they're fundamentally predictable at a mathematical level; given the path of the originating arrow and the morphology they hit, you could math out their exact paths; they aren't "random". That you can't do that on the fly doesn't mean you can use that word, since the issue isn't that they're random, it's that you can't predict them accurately.

20 Tickrate?

No chance.

Last edited by Speaknoevil; 2016-06-23 at 09:50 AM.

Heartstone took off, a game which is based luck when it gets down to macros.

Deleted
    I don't know what "MLG scene" means to be honest, but didn't Overwatch overtake League of Legends already in some Korean thing?

Seeing as Activision-Blizzard owns MLG...I'm sure it will
    Bleh

Seems like it's a smash hit so far. I don't really care if it goes full e-sport, because I don't enjoy FPS games as a viewer anyway. Love playing, don't care about watching.
    Mother pus bucket!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    20 Tickrate?

No chance.

You're argument will be ridiculed and scoffed off just because you make sense. Just take a look at tickrate thread - the IQ bell curve is proven once again.

OW will never even touch popularity(in terms of pro scene) of other competitive games - genre doesn't matter, OW was simply not designed as competitive game. It will continue to have GREAT success in "general" audience because it's a good game - simple as that. But again, I don't see it as truly pro scene game.

Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    You're argument will be ridiculed and scoffed off just because you make sense. Just take a look at tickrate thread - the IQ bell curve is proven once again.

OW will never even touch popularity(in terms of pro scene) of other competitive games - genre doesn't matter, OW was simply not designed as competitive game. It will continue to have GREAT success in "general" audience because it's a good game - simple as that. But again, I don't see it as truly pro scene game.
    Seems like what goes pro and what doesn't is much to do about the community, sponsors, organisations etc as it is with the game.
    Mother pus bucket!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    Seems like what goes pro and what doesn't is much to do about the community, sponsors, organisations etc as it is with the game.
    All above is important, but without dev's support it's all pointless. The game has to have fundamental skill oriented mechanics for it to flourish on pro scene - no matter how good the community/sponsors are.

Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post

It could be though.

Fix tickrates, tone down some of the ults, remove all the "aimbot" abilities/guns/ults and tada, you have a fun, colorful game with the potential to be played at high levels, both MLG level, and between elite players of the game at their homes worldwide.

I'm not sure how boring it would make it, but removing ults could make it more fair and competitive, kinda how pro CoD has no killstreaks (last I checked, years ago)