Page 24 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxal View Post
    In Texas (I'm sure it's the same way elsewhere), people cannot buy white potatos or whole milk (unless they have a child under like 2) with the food stamp equivalent.

So this kind of thing is already happening. Seems like a good idea.
    Then what can they buy if they can't even have milk.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

I agree with the Governor. Its ridiculous that someone on food stamps can sit there and blow it on candy and soda. My gf used to work at a gas station. She had So many parents come in with children running rampant behind them, grabbing at everything and wanting snacks. So what did they get? Candy and soda, paid for with food stamps. I get it, juice is expensive to get, and water gets bland, Fast. However, foodstamps needs to be used on actual food. Not crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    The restriction seems to be only on whole milk (3.5% milk fat), not ones with lower percentages of milk fat such as 1%, 2% or skim.

At least that is what the WIC signs at the grocery store say...
    Last edited by Moxal; 2016-06-23 at 12:43 PM.
    Mistweaver Monk | Holy Priest

In Texas (I'm sure it's the same way elsewhere), people cannot buy white potatos or whole milk (unless they have a child under like 2) with the food stamp equivalent.

So this kind of thing is already happening. Seems like a good idea.
    That is a HORRIBLE idea. Milk is a stable food, as is potatoes. I could get a 15 pound bag of potatoes for 5-8$ at Any time of the year. That is many nights of meals I could make from them.

Milk is a drink that is a healthy option. It can be used to cook and bake Many healthy foods. They are idiots to remove items that are able to be cheap and staples of a diet that is better then candy or soda.
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

The restriction seems to be only on whole milk (3.5% milk fat), not ones with lower percentages of milk fat such as 1%, 2% or skim.
    But whole milk is healthier than white colored water .
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikaru View Post
    I thought republicans were supposed to be for smaller government, not nanny states?
    Stupid argument since we are talking about restrictions on an already-existing government program.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Milk is a stable food
    ...if you're a baby cow. How many calves do you know that suffer from lactose intolerance?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Faerillis View Post
    is a Republican and is looking for any excuse to cut money from Citizen Welfare
    Citizen welfare should be used in extreme cases (disabled or otherwise unable to earn a wage), or as a stop-gap in times of need. It should not become a way of life, as it has for so many people who have figured out ways to abuse and game the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Direpenguin View Post

...if you're a baby cow. How many calves do you know that suffer from lactose intolerance?
    The second part of your statement makes no sense. However, I can tell you don't bake, otherwise you would know that milk is used in a lot of things for cooking.

15+ Year Old Account
    Don't ask me, I'm just relating the WIC signs I've seen at local stores.

However, doing some research, it seems that WIC recently (2015) did allow white potatoes to be purchased. I'm not sure why the (pretty new) signs I've seen seem to indicate differently.

It also seems I got it backwards: 2% is not allowed, but whole is allowed for children under 2. (What the signs I've seen say)

Food list: http://dshs.texas.gov/wichd/vo/flist.shtm
    Last edited by Moxal; 2016-06-23 at 01:00 PM.
    Mistweaver Monk | Holy Priest

I guess letting them eat cake wasn't a good idea after all.
    "He who lives without discipline dies without honor" - Viking proverb

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Except there's really no evidence that SNAP spending on candy bars and other "junk items" is a common behavior.

And the overpayment rate is at historic lows, so that theory is busted as well.
    Over payment rate doesnt measure how much of the amount they spend is wasted on non-essentials. It only measures overpayments due to incorrect income testing. nd there is no evidence snack and junk food spending on SNAP is NOT a common behavior either

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    I agree, they should definitely be able yo buy milk with food stamps, just not flavored (chocolate, strawberry, etc) milk

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Over payment rate doesnt measure how much of the amount they spend is wasted on non-essentials. It only measures overpayments due to incorrect income testing. nd there is no evidence snack and junk food spending on SNAP is NOT a common behavior either

- - - Updated - - -

I agree, they should definitely be able yo buy milk with food stamps, just not flavored (chocolate, strawberry, etc) milk
    Why not flavored milk? Still milk, still nutritional.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

10+ Year Old Account
    Over payment rate doesn't measure how much of the amount they spend is wasted on non-essentials.
    There's no universal definition of what a "non-essential" item is. What you're basically asking for here, is to create a brand new government entity, in charge of determining what products are "essential" vs "non-essential". Is an eggplant essential? What about breadcrumbs? How about store bought pizza dough? I mean, all they really need is flour, water, and yeast.

Meanwhile, tens of thousands of new food products are released each year, and now this brand new government entity needs to classify each item as "essential" or "non-essential".

So we could do that. Or we could just try to better educate people and let them make their own choices when it comes to purchasing food products with SNAP benefits.

And there is no evidence snack and junk food spending on SNAP is NOT a common behavior either.
    Stellar logic here. There's also no evidence that Chimpanzees aren't secretly plotting to eliminate the human race. We better start executing Chimpanzees just in case.
    Eat yo vegetables

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I think people on food stamps should be more limited on what you buy, fast food companies for years have been campaigning to allow people to buy their food with food stamps.

I have a friend who is on disability because he is obese, how does the government fix this? They gave him a place to live then has someone come in clean his place and does his shopping. Guess what he buys? Mt Dew and Chips, he has done nothing but gain weight since he got disability 15 years ago. He went from 500lbs to 770lbs. He pretty much just sits around all day playing video games and watches Netflix.
    So dont give disablity to fat people they quit giving it to drunks. But you even if they are on FS have no right to tell someone they can not enjoy a candy bar at times if that starts we might as well rename ourselves russia 2
    I can't wait to watch your ego bleed
    Your pain will set me free

Stitched Up Heart

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by upirlikhyi View Post
    So dont give disablity to fat people they quit giving it to drunks. But you even if they are on FS have no right to tell someone they can not enjoy a candy bar at times if that starts we might as well rename ourselves russia 2
    No one is saying they aren't allowed to enjoy a candy bar. Just not on the government dime. Use your own cash on that, not the gracious handout.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Working part time at McDonalds isnt working. Perhaps we should say they should work more!
    Yeah well, perhaps conservatives don't think working 16 hours a day is working if they are minimum wage jobs.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    No one is saying they aren't allowed to enjoy a candy bar. Just not on the government dime. Use your own cash on that, not the gracious handout.
    Why do you care if they buy candy with government benefits?

Quote Originally Posted by upirlikhyi View Post
    People on food stamps are already limited on what they could buy, how is expanding to junk food any different? People on foodstamps can spend real cash if they want junk food.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    People on food stamps are already limited on what they could buy, how is expanding to junk food any different? People on foodstamps can spend real cash if they want junk food.
    They are limited to unprepared or prepared food. Some stores will let you get around this anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Why do you care if they buy candy with government benefits?
    I view things like candy as non-essential foods. A non-necessity. It is not what the assistance was designed for.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I view things like candy as non-essential foods. A non-necessity. It is not what the assistance was designed for.
    Ok but why do you care?