Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I think it's rather; "Our shit only works on the long term and takes a lot of time, if someone needs to get better NOW, try conventional medicine"
    Homeopathic 'medicine' is no more than the snake oil of yesteryear.

It doesn't work for anything. Zilch. Not 'in the long term', not for anything. How many studies have to show this before people realise?

I think part of it perhaps that people not understand what a placebo effect is. Having a vague sense of being unwell and having someone take your money, smile, nod, show empathy, etc does not = efficacy. Sure, it might make you feel better - it does act on neurological principles for your headache, but it sure as shit won't cure your cancer.

The anti-science based medicine movement is hugely profitable, and makes wild, baseless claims. It's horrible that yet another child has died as a direct result of the stubborn ignorance that it's practitioners exhibit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Setheria View Post
    Homeopathic 'medicine' is no more than the snake oil of yesteryear.

It doesn't work for anything. Zilch. Not 'in the long term', not for anything. How many studies have to show this before people realise?

I think part of it perhaps that people not understand what a placebo effect is. Having a vague sense of being unwell and having someone take your money, smile, nod, show empathy, etc does not = efficacy. Sure, it might make you feel better - it does act on neurological principles for your headache, but it sure as shit won't cure your cancer.

The anti-science based medicine movement is hugely profitable, and makes wild, baseless claims. It's horrible that yet another child has died as a direct result of the stubborn ignorance that it's practitioners exhibit.
    Don't forget the more "exotic" and "ancient" it is makes it apparently better. It is sad to hear a child passing away because some parents avoid "mainstream medicine".

"Parental rights"... yeah, screw the well being of their child for their retarded believes... paying the ultimate price of said child.

Such whackjobs need to have their children placed into child services custody, as they are clearly causing child endangerment... and should the worst happen be charged for manslaughter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, saw maple syrup treatment and thought Canada, glad I wasn't disappointed.

Sucks for child, I have a child and I've heard from the homeopathic nutjobs on more than one occasion. I also heard from the same homeopathic shitheads when my mother had cancer. They filled my father and mother full of false hope and robbed them blind.

The whole homeopathic thing triggers me.

To be fair, I think it would be pretty hard to admit to your other children that you killed their brother. I couldn't imagine having to tell my other kids (the ones that don't exist) that I killed their brother (who also doesn't exist). I also imagine it would be pretty hard to actually admit that you killed your kid because you're stupid and a bad parent.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post
    Well, saw maple syrup treatment and thought Canada, glad I wasn't disappointed.

Sucks for child, I have a child and I've heard from the homeopathic nutjobs on more than one occasion. I also heard from the same homeopathic shitheads when my mother had cancer. They filled my father and mother full of false hope and robbed them blind.

The whole homeopathic thing triggers me.
    I literally don't understand how it's legal in the US.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    I literally don't understand how it's legal in the US.
    Don't underestimate the power of special interest groups and their lobbies. The alt med industry in the United States generates around $15 billion or more in annual revenue. They also have their pet Senators, such as Orrin Hatch and former senator Tom Harkin.

Hatch is the Senator who introduced the infamous DSHEA which paved the way for the subsequently underregulated "supplement" industry to make tens of billions of dollars selling snake oil cures to the public for the last 22 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferwyn View Post
    Don't forget the more "exotic" and "ancient" it is makes it apparently better.
    I recently saw a vid about the whole subject of "ancient" medicine, don't remember everything but I remember they said watch out for Ayur-veda "medicine" because the "traditional" process often revolves around mixing herbs with heavy metals. Ancient Hindu didn't know heavy metals are toxic but we know that now. Blows out of the water all the mercury-in-vaccine scare.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're not a true Canadian if you don't use maple syrup to heal yourself.

For real though this is messed.
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

Really awful. I'll never understand people being okay with putting their kids at such risk. Not to mention other people's kids.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    I recently saw a vid about the whole subject of "ancient" medicine, don't remember everything but I remember they said watch out for Ayur-veda "medicine" because the "traditional" process often revolves around mixing herbs with heavy metals. Ancient Hindu didn't know heavy metals are toxic but we know that now. Blows out of the water all the mercury-in-vaccine scare.
    Ouch wouldn't wanna be on the reviecing end of that!

15+ Year Old Account
    Its really sad that yet another child died due to negligence. A child that had no ability to speak up for themselves or know anything other than their parents love them and are "trying to help". I hate the homeopathic industry. It robs the uninformed blind. Those that sell it know its a lie unless they've brainwashed themselves to believe their own bullshit. This child needed a doctor. A real one. The child also needed informed parents who were capable of taking care of their child. The anti-vaccine movement is dangerous as it started based on lies and a discredited "study". The homeopathic movement is nothing more than todays snake oil. Both are destructive. This poor child was a victim of both. Now his parents get to live on to hopefully learn just how wrong they were. Something this poor child will never have the chance to do.

Anyone who thinks Homeopathy is a valid thing for ANYTHING should be sanctioned.

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    Not the parents fault.

Now, let me explain myself.

Of course those idiots are to be blamed, but this is only the top of the problem; When we allow people to freely have kids without any kind of mental controls, that´s what happens.
    So what ur suggesting we require a license to have children now? Y stop there? We can control every aspect of raising a child, what religion they r, when and what foods they eat, how they r disciplined. The we can have them take a test and we will place them in a job of our choosing and decide who they marry and if they r worthy enough to have children...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xada View Post
    Just means you can do your part to make sure the kid doesn't meet the same fate. When the child gets ill and you talk to them, ask what the doctor has done. They'll make it apparent that they haven't consulted a professional pretty quick. Best thing you could do is call social services and tell them what's going on.
    We don't talk any more. We had a huge blowout when I was complaining about how I was so sore after four vaccines (two in each arm) that I couldn't go to the gym and lift. Seriously, I couldn't even lift my arms above my head.

That led to them telling me I was a moron for letting a doctor put formaldehyde in my body along with thimerosal to which I responded with reality: that the human body produces formaldehyde as a byproduct of protein building and that the amount in the vaccines was so low it was likely less than what I make on my own, and that in turn led to even weirder conspiracy theory crap and we washed our hands of each other.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Detritivores View Post
    It doesn't get much more evil than bringing innocent people into the world and then letting them die of treatable illnesses while you feed your delusions about "medicine," and then having the gall to blame the paramedics on top of it.
    Stupid, ignorant, clueless, sure. But evil? I think not. Evil requires either a malice or callousness simply not present here.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    Stupid, ignorant, clueless, sure. But evil? I think not. Evil requires either a malice or callousness simply not present here.
    They had a pretty strong economic motive not to take their kid to a real doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    Honestly, I think they're pretty evil for letting their child die after trying to treat him with magic pills when they knew real medicine could have done it...they just refused to use it.

"Evil" isn't really the right word, though, not sure what to call it, but refusing to treat your child with real medicine when you can SEE that your pseudo-homeopathic, bullshit magic pill aren't working is pretty damned close.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    They had a pretty strong economic motive not to take their kid to a real doctor
    Not really, vaccines and doctor trip would be covered 100% under their provincial health plans.

They would've paid more for their maple syrup than they would've for the doctors visit.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

I don't object to anyone using natural remedies at all. Hell I use a blend of natural stuff for multiple problems I get, bad backs, colds and flus etc. But at the same time I pop the pills that are designed to help

Vaccines, general med care should be mandatory tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Not really, vaccines and doctor trip would be covered 100% under their provincial health plans.

They would've paid more for their maple syrup than they would've for the doctors visit.
    They make money selling this garbage. Taking their kid to a real doctor kinda acknowledges your product is full of shit.