Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Paul Ryan's tweet criticizing sit-in backfires

http://www.businessinsider.com/paul-...-sit-in-2016-6

Paul Ryan's tweet criticizing the Democratic sit-in on gun control is backfiring quickly....
    ** When you realize the person you're talking to is so clueless that they think you're the idiot **

This sit in is absolute nonsense.

Let's counter obstructionism by acting like immature children. How productive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

The quality of the responses chosen for that article are so bad. It's just a bash-fest... and apparently that's all businessinsider wants...

So much potential in that story, but they went for sensationalism.

7+ Year Old Account
    Ha after Ryancare this is the next best thing Paul Ryan did this month

Deleted
    that article is nonsense, a few people replied with insults to a someone on twitter instead of any reasonable reply, how is that worth an article?

Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    http://www.businessinsider.com/paul-...-sit-in-2016-6

Paul Ryan's tweet criticizing the Democratic sit-in on gun control is backfiring quickly....
    Erm, is it?

The article points out that politicians on social media often get criticized, and then points out:

"Ryan's tweet ultimately racked up more than 2,400 retweets and continued climbing Wednesday night."

A few 'You're disgusting' answers compared to 2,400+ retweeting agreement doesn't sound like a backfire.

10+ Year Old Account
    The GOP should just stay away from Twitter, it's just not helping them at all.

I also think this generation has forgotten how peaceful protest work. Sit ins work, if anything to draw attention to some cause.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Actually, no Paul Ryan. Going to a soup kitchen with Mitt Romney and washing dishes that were already clean was a publicity stunt. Or maybe Paul Ryan means like those 40+ attempts to overturn Obamacare that were doomed to failure before they were even brought up for a vote perhaps?
    ** When you realize the person you're talking to is so clueless that they think you're the idiot **

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SidFwuff View Post
    Erm, is it?

The article points out that politicians on social media often get criticized, and then points out:

"Ryan's tweet ultimately racked up more than 2,400 retweets and continued climbing Wednesday night."

A few 'You're disgusting' answers compared to 2,400+ retweeting agreement doesn't sound like a backfire.
    You've a point here, for sure.
    But, we have very little way to screen the approvals vs the criticism of his tweet.

There's sure a hell of a backlash going on, against the GOP.
    https://twitter.com/hashtag/nobillno...twgr%5Ehashtag
    And against Ryan in particular:
    https://www.facebook.com/speakerryan/?fref=nf
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

How American gun deaths and gun laws compare to Canada's:

http://www.nationalobserver.com/2015...ompare-canadas

Actually, no Paul Ryan. Going to a soup kitchen with Mitt Romney and washing dishes that were already clean was a publicity stunt. Or maybe Paul Ryan means like those 40+ attempts to overturn Obamacare that were doomed to failure before they were even brought up for a vote perhaps?
    Those are definitely publicity stunts. But he isn't wrong, either.

Game recognizes game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, no Paul Ryan. Going to a soup kitchen with Mitt Romney and washing dishes that were already clean was a publicity stunt.
    This one a hundred times.
    That was the most disgusting thing I've ever seen a politician do. Pretending to do social voluntary work at a soup kitchen for the homeless/people in need.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Those are definitely publicity stunts. But he isn't wrong, either.

Game recognizes game.
    Good point, but there are definitely varying degree's of it.

How to be a partisan Reporter
    1. Take a Tweet
    2. Take screen shots of only the negative responses (or positive)
    3. Write Story

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Let's counter obstructionism by acting like immature children. How productive.
    Let's forget that a sit-in is an actual, valid form of non-violent protest for a moment. (I mean, you already have, so we're half-way there! )

You've clearly never had to deal with a group of immature, petulant children before. Acting like a normal, collected adult around them does not work the way you think it would against their ad-hoc hive mind. All that's happening here is some democrats are finally coming around to realizing this... that the only way to mete out such colossal levels of immaturity is to out-immature it. To not only meet them on their level, but then surpass it so far and so hard that the only possible response they could muster is AHHHHHHH!

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratches View Post
    Let's forget that a sit-in is an actual, valid form of non-violent protest for a moment. (I mean, you already have, so we're half-way there! )
    I mean, imagine the civil rights you could gain with such things. Perhaps even enough to get an act passed.

This isn't a group of high school students protesting a Walmart ground breaking.

It's members of government, who are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars per year, acting like children because the other members of Congress are also acting like children.

Our government is pathetic and disgraceful.
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

This isn't a group of high school students protesting a Walmart ground breaking.

It's members of government, who are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars per year, acting like children because the other members of Congress are also acting like children.

Uh no. What it is, is actually refreshing. Members of Congress are actually trying to do something.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

10+ Year Old Account
    No disagreement there (but for completely different reasons than yours, I'd posit).

But your outright dismissal and denigration of sit-ins as something only hippie, know-nothing high-schoolers do is...concerning...

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Uh no. What it is, is actually refreshing. Members of Congress are actually trying to do something.
    By doing nothing, and preventing the government from functioning properly.

lol

No disagreement there (but for completely different reasons than yours, I'd posit).

But your outright dismissal and denigration of sit-ins as something only hippie, know-nothing high-schoolers do is...concerning...
    When did I say this?

Congress doesn't need a sit in. They need to write legislation that doesn't contain riders, ear marks and other special interest nonsense that causes it to fail.

Instead of trying to pass the Omnibus Unilateral Gun Control Act of 2016 that also contains tax changes, immigration reform, a bridge to nowhere in Idaho that costs $500M, Medicaid reform, and a Social Security age change...

...let's write the "Universal back ground check law" and pass that.

Or we can just sit on the floor and do nothing until hell freezes over.