Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans BarelyLegalBear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

PC freezing and making weird noise!

Hey guys, having some problems with my PC and I really need some help. Tired of playing a game and suddenly my computer will freeze and destroy my ears in the process. Makes a weird alien noise. Only seems to happen whenever i'm playing a game, so far only in WoW/Overwatch. My entire screen will freeze and start making a terrible noise. Can't click anything to get out of it, have to hard reboot it. Once it boots back up, it'll run fine for a bit. I just don't understand what's going on this time. My GPU driver is up-to-date, I honestly don't think overheating would cause this. Wouldn't overheating just cause the game to shut down? I'm a complete newb when it comes to fixing my PC, if any software is needed to find out what is going on with it, please let me know..
    My system specs:
    -ASUS Motherboard ATX DDR4 2667 LGA 1151 SABERTOOTH Z170 S
    -EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GS 80+ GOLD, 650W Continuous Power, ECO Mode Fully Modular NVIDIA SLI and Crossfire Ready
    -Intel Boxed Core I5-6600K 3.50 GHz, 6 M Processor Cache 6 for LGA 1151
    -ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 Overclocked 4 GB DDR5 256-bit DisplayPort HDMI 2.0 DVI-I Graphics Card
    -Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz
    The mobo is probably about 2 months old, so I don't think that is the problem. Anyone know what could be causing it? Here's a video to see this in action, sorry for the quality, it actually JUST happened to me and this is the 3rd time. It'll stop for a day and then just randomly occurs. Link for video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVCdkoFM9d0
    Any help is greatly appreciated, I really want this to stop. What must I sacrifice this time?

TLDR:
    Computer is freezing whenever I play games, have to hard reboot just to get it up and running again. What's causing this to happen?

I had this exact issue, it was bad ram.

I have/had same ram as you except mine was a 32gb kit.

took 4 set's of ram before i got one that wasn't broken.

15+ Year Old Account
    This is a problem I had a long time ago and it was 1 I could never properly identify.

The problem in this case is that it can be literally ANYTHING in your computer that causes it.

First lemme ask you ... do you have spare components for testing?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by svettleif View Post
    I had this exact issue, it was bad ram.

I have/had same ram as you except mine was a 32gb kit.

took 4 set's of ram before i got one that wasn't broken.
    Hmmm, will that memtest thing help me find out if the RAM is the cause?

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    This is a problem I had a long time ago and it was 1 I could never properly identify.

The problem in this case is that it can be literally ANYTHING in your computer that causes it.

First lemme ask you ... do you have spare components for testing?
    I do not, i'm afraid to mess around in the PC. Everytime I go doing stuff to it, I end up breaking something >_<

I also had this exact issue and mine was from overheating.

I grabbed CoreTemp and saw my max allowed temperature was 90 C. I would throw on a game and just watch the temps rise until it hit ~85 ish and then my computer would either do exactly what you described, or just shut down completely. Issue ended up being I just needed to replace the liquid coolant in my cooling system.

CoreTemp can be downloaded here: http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

I also thought my issue was going to be RAM related initially, and I'm not saying yours won't be, but this is a free test to run before you go out and buy anything.

Check temps. If not check RAM. If it isn't that its a PSU or Voltage Delivery Issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stupid question, downloaded CoreTemp and how exactly do I check the temps? Just run a game and see if it gets hot?

15+ Year Old Account
    The problem with this, as you can see by suggestions, can literally be anything.

The basics is using the UEFI Memtest available here
    Let it do 3 full pass rounds, this WILL an entire night.

Fire up stuff like HWMonitor over CoreTemp, I find that to be more reliable and have a better oversight of things.
    It will also show what the voltage sensors are showing of the mobo.

Run a game and keep an eye out on that, also keep an eye out on graphics temperatures with something like MSI Afterburner.
    (this all of course on the 2nd screen ... if you have that!)

After which ... well here-in lies the problem ... if you cannot exchange parts then there's little YOU can do to test things.
    It can literally be anything.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snow View Post
    What's causing this to happen?
    You know nothing...

Sounds like your GPU might be dying, sometimes the heat pipes make a weird hissing noise when they're on their way out.

It could be along the lines of this:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answer...se-gaming.html

I'd possibly just start with a full reinstall of windows and see if it continues, that will completely rule out software. I'd get on Google regardless and see if you can get some more answers there.

Run a memory test diagnostic as well. Try something like:
    http://www.memtest86.com/

Maybe try the memtest before you reinstall, also re-seat your GPU / RAM

Hmmm, will that memtest thing help me find out if the RAM is the cause?
    For me it did, make sure you test 1 stick a time, and leave it on overnight.

You could simply, pop out 1 stick of ram now and keep playing, if it crashes again, swap stick. if it still crashes run memtest if not great you found the problem

Stupid question, downloaded CoreTemp and how exactly do I check the temps? Just run a game and see if it gets hot?
    "Tj. Max" is the max temp before your computer will shit itself.

You'll want to compare the number under "Core #X" with that number.

Just watch them and make sure your "Max" temp for "Core #X" isn't getting close to "Tj. Max". If it is, that is potentially your problem. If it isn't, and your computer is still giving you that problem, then you probably don't have a heating issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I'm doing memtest on my PC now with both ram sticks in. That's the right way to do it, right? Honestly have no clue what I'm doing but it detects 16G of memory. How long am I supposed to keep this going? 1st pass is 95% done and I've had it on for 40 minutes. So far no errors though.

So I'm doing memtest on my PC now with both ram sticks in. That's the right way to do it, right? Honestly have no clue what I'm doing but it detects 16G of memory. How long am I supposed to keep this going? 1st pass is 95% done and I've had it on for 40 minutes. So far no errors though.
    It's usually better to test one stick at a time by taking one out. It's usually best to let it do at least 3 passes, I usually just let it run overnight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    It's usually better to test one stick at a time by taking one out. It's usually best to let it do at least 3 passes, I usually just let it run overnight.
    Alright, I'll do 3 tests then. Is it a big deal if both sticks are in?

Alright, I'll do 3 tests then. Is it a big deal if both sticks are in?
    Sometimes it will not catch errors with both sticks in that it will catch with only one stick in. It's best to do them each individually.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes it will not catch errors with both sticks in that it will catch with only one stick in. It's best to do them each individually.
    Well that sucks, don't really want to mess with the inside of the computer, usually mess something up.

10+ Year Old Account
    if it's a heat issue i had malware what caused my Fans to stop spinning and spin at max for a second, my computer would eventually stall or crash when the temps went over 90 degrees. I had to Uninstall/Re-install the program that controlled the system cooling and its drivers.
    Last edited by Twistedelmo; 2016-06-23 at 04:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I did one run with both sticks in, I'll do more runs tonight. I'll more than likely do both sticks together again, not really wanting to mess with the hardware but If it comes down to it, I'll probably end up doing it. I went ahead and downloaded updates for my MOBO to see if that'll fix anything. Is it possible for audio to cause the problem? How exactly would I find out if that's the problem? My brother was telling me that could also be the problem.
    Thanks for the help so far everyone! I'll keep this thread updated as well.

Taking a stick of RAM out is pretty easy. On the side of the slot is a little button like thing, push that down, RAM pops up, pull it out. When putting it back in, just make sure the notch lines up properly, there's only 2 ways it can go, so not hard to figure out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Taking a stick of RAM out is pretty easy. On the side of the slot is a little button like thing, push that down, RAM pops up, pull it out. When putting it back in, just make sure the notch lines up properly, there's only 2 ways it can go, so not hard to figure out.
    I know how to do the RAM, just don't like messing with the hardware. I manhandle it and sometimes I break stuff....
    If i'm doing one stick at a time, do I still need to do 3 runs and if no errors are found, then it's not my RAM?