Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    Garona was the very heart of the first movie and pretend she doesn't even exist in a sequel is absurd. Goddamn, she basically becomes the equivalent of the new Warchief at the end of the movie.
    I think it's an exaggeration to say she was the heart of the film. A major part yes, obviously a major thematic piece. I didn't get the impression that she was Warchief at the end of the film, apparently this is stated in the novelisation? Although the outline I proposed could theoretically include Garona as well if you wanted to make more changes from the source material.

Lothar and Khadgar sound more like cameos than actual characters in such scenario.
    That is correct.

And I don't see how we could suddenly have Orcs in internment camps all of a sudden after the events of the first movie. Either rushing to get orcs into cells or presenting them as such at the very beginning of the sequel would be hilariously anti-climatic and a huge WTF moment, especially for anyone who knows nothing about Warcraft lore. If this movie would have hinted anything on that regard would have been a thing, but it did nothing on such regard. What it obviously hinted is "war is coming" and one huge ass war. Not "orcs are soon to be captured and put into camps".
    Keep in mind that a story about Thrall would take place over the course of about twenty years. So the Orcs would not immediately go into internment camps, but as Thrall grew up we would see the hints of the war between Orcs and humans, with the Orcs slowly being worn down. As I mentioned upthread Blackmoore is a commander so we could easily see some of the war first hand. Show him losing to a band of Orcs so he retreats back to Durnholde and takes his rage out on Thrall. It would show that there was still an ongoing conflict, while still having Thrall be the focus.

Critics may burn to hell. The last thing you should do is base artistic decisions based on what critics think. At the very most, you analyze the most valuable and grounded criticism (which is not much but there is) and conclude what to improve in a sequel, but act like you purposely ignore the existance of the first movie because critics bashed it is nonsense. Hell, one of the very problems of this movie was the time it had to inevitably spend in setting things up. Another standalone movie will require to do it all over again, especially in terms of characters.

Well that just isn't how the film industry works. Like obviously as a fan I would love to see each and every detail of every story in WoW lovingly rendered on screen. But to get even a scrap of that the films need to make money. The first film did terribly from a critical perspective even though I personally liked it a lot, and a lot of viewers where either confused by the plot or just plain didn't watch the film at all. I'm not saying ignore the first film entirely - Thrall's story would still be contiguous with the first film because it would deal with what happens next - but the sequel should provide a jumping on point for new audience members.

The problem with Warcraft was not that it had to set things up, it's that it did that setting up poorly and very rushedly. The opening of the film (especially the introduction to the humans) was its weakest segment, with a dozen characters introduced across hundreds of miles in the space of less than twenty minutes. Adapting Lord of the Clans you'd basically have the first 40-60 minutes focused on just three main characters: Thrall, Blackmoore and Taretha.

No, you need the development done in this first movie and the second to be connected to it. You need familiar faces and characters already established in the first movie. There's no continuity or organic story you can tell if you act like you're ashamed of your very "set-up" movie.
    Why do people keep talking about familiar faces and the development of the first film...when barely anyone bothered to watch the first film? It did poorly in the US and the UK as well AFAIK. It's not about being ashamed of the first film, it's about the reality of the situation - the first film didn't bring in as big an audience as would have been liked, so the sequel needs to bring in more viewers. It can't do that if it's a direct sequel. There's a balance to be struck here. It doesn't mean ignoring the first film, there's a balance between contiguity and independence which the sequel needs to get right, and Lord of the Clans is perfect for that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Romano View Post
    Deosnt matter if it had poor reception or not. Continuing without concluding the story the first movie set in motion is completely anti climatic and irrelevant from a cinematic standpoint.
    Well first of all I don't think moving on to Lord of the Clans would be anti-climactic. It does continue the story, just not directly.

Furthermore, do you really think anyone would greenlit such a movie?
    Er, yeah. I think Lord of the Clans has a far better chance of being greenlit than a direct sequel. Compare:

Your pitch is for a direct sequel to the first film - the film which a lot of people didn't see and those who did see it didn't understand. It requires heavy knowledge of that film which viewers either didn't see or didn't get and itself will have loads of characters across both sides of a war, basically being a retread of the first films formula which ended up pretty poorly.

My pitch gives the franchise a chance at a new start. It has contiguity with the first film but is indirect enough of a sequel that it acts as a jumping point for new viewers. It focuses on just a select few major characters, with one identifiable protagonist. While there is magic and worldbuilding there, it is primarily a human (or orcish) drama with a focus on characters rather than esoteric magic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Romano View Post
    Such a movie would be almost exclusively focused on orcs.
    Orcs=CGi=more money

You think any studio would green lit a movie like that when :
    1) warcraft isnt a big enough name on its own to carry it
    2) the first movie didnt do tremendously well.
    3) the 2nd movie won't even built up on the story of the 1st ?
    What are you talking about? The first act of a Lord of the Clans film would be Thrall in captivity, so he'd be the only major CGI character for like the first hour. And the battle sequences would be smaller (but still cool) gladiatorial combat. Much cheaper than huge CGI battles. That stuff would come in at the end of course. But I'm not seeing how that would be more expensive than the first film.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    People not being interested in Alliance stories because they're Alliance stories or Horde stories because they're Horde stories says only one thing to me - they're actually so immature and so serious about their factional affiliation that they simply cannot see the world of Warcraft for what it is. While I was exaggerating for dramatic effect - of course they're not a waste of oxygen - I simply cannot take those people seriously.
    or they just dont like those factions and characters.

this is like someone who doesnt like spider-man getting bitched at for not going to see homecoming "because its all connected"

some people just dont like certain characters.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    or they just dont like those factions and characters.

this is like someone who doesnt like spider-man getting bitched at for not going to see homecoming "because its all connected"

some people just dont like certain characters.
    What kind of person doesn't like spiderman?

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    What kind of person doesn't like spiderman?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shady View Post
    China Thu. est 2.3M$/216.1M$
    Unfortunately they are cutting back on showtimes and screenings in theaters.

To make room for Indy Day and NYCSM 2

is No.1

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by daywalker02 View Post
    Unfortunately they are cutting back on showtimes and screenings in theaters.

To make room for Indy Day and NYCSM 2

is No.1
    Looks like we won't see 230M$ from China...that's sad

Looks like we won't see 230M$ from China...that's sad
    I think it will stay another 2 weeks in most theaters, 235 M is the number of Zootopia and that is "doable".

at least what they are trying to do and will die trying.
    Last edited by daywalker02; 2016-06-23 at 06:11 PM.

Still shows in Denmark, so there is still muns

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tornwar View Post
    Still shows in Denmark, so there is still muns
    In Denmark the film is doing great after 4 weeks it's still on 2nd place, overall in EU it did great

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by daywalker02 View Post
    I think it will stay another 2 weeks in most theaters, 235 M is the number of Zootopia and that is "doable".

at least what they are trying to do and will die trying.
    The presales for Friday are awful it's now on 5th place behind Dory((

I lost a little hope.. it might not reach 500M$

In Denmark the film is doing great after 4 weeks it's still on 2nd place, overall in EU it did great
    When you think its almost been a month since the movie had release, its doing really well! It keeps jumping between 1st and 3th place on Kino.dk's user rating list

10+ Year Old Account
    Two weeks after the release, Warcraft is occupying the slots 5&6 (3D and 2D) in Finland. That's not too shabby.

I lost a little hope.. it might not reach 500M$
    Does it even need to reach 500M?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tangocash View Post
    Does it even need to reach 500M?
    I don't know, tomorrow it officially will reach 400M$ it is now at 397,6M$ as far as I know
    Last edited by mmoc193995c0cb; 2016-06-23 at 07:04 PM.

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/w...jones-podcast/

Duncan specificlly says sequel, the movie after when he talks about the Thrall story. Also him and the interviewer talks about the tauren could be part of the fight club
    Please make the fight club the Brawler's Guild...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    It would be awesome))) Mo-Cap taurens FTW

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    Well the idea is that Thrall becomes a gladiator while being enslaved and he fights different people. I think the plan is to have him fight a tauren, which would be epic

Well the idea is that Thrall becomes a gladiator while being enslaved and he fights different people. I think the plan is to have him fight a tauren, which would be epic
    Gurgthock and Wodin should be the ones selling new fighters to Blackmoore, that'd be awesome.

I don't know, tomorrow it officially will reach 400M$ it is now at 397,6M$ as far as I know
    Please source. Not that I have any doubt from you. It's that I'd like to have the info so far as you do. :P

I forgot to say : Thanks for the good info anyway.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitrino View Post
    Please source. Not that I have any doubt from you. It's that I'd like to have the info so far as you do. :P
    No problem
    UPI http://www.upi-boxoffice.com/
    China http://piaofang.maoyan.com/?date=2016-06-23 you should convert yuan in usd the umber is 1.421B
    US http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...d=warcraft.htm the update is as of June 22

There are on BOM some countries that aren't UPI like (Romania, Mexico, Bulgaria, Iceland etc.) with a total of 6.5M$ as of 19.06.2016 I didn't include them cuz I don't know if they're shown on UPI or not. The numbers on BOM don't match up even if they're updated(talking about Foreign). I checked Romanians distributor and Universal isn't shown as a partner so I think we can assume that this 6.5M$ aren't included on UPI site, but better official numbers than assumptions
    Last edited by mmoc193995c0cb; 2016-06-23 at 07:31 PM.

No problem
    UPI http://www.upi-boxoffice.com/
    China http://piaofang.maoyan.com/?date=2016-06-23 you should convert yuan in usd the umber is 1.421B
    US http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...d=warcraft.htm the update is as of June 22
    Thank you good sir.